New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

jaguar 1999 xk8

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default jaguar 1999 xk8

Gus and Dan Jensen are incredible so are many others on this forum i just bought my 1999 xk8 it wasnt running and needed a fuel pump and other things so far its moving along im a great mechanic especially for fords so while i was looking for a 2000+ Mercedes s500 i stumbled across a picture of an xk8 "WOW i can get this instead"........ who knew???

Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 8,046 Likes on 4,854 Posts

Good to have you here!!!!!!

bob gauff

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the forum Rellsimone, good to have you here.
Gus and Dan are top guys, there's more here too and in every section......part of what makes it the forum it is

You might find the off topic good for fun, maybe check out the mug shot thread and add yours?

Some really good guys and great techs, top vendors offering good pricing levels and great service, and more to come....all good

In the meantime I've upgraded you manually to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 06-21-2011, 02:32 AM
Default thanks

hey thanks guys:

I'm doing some new things regarding the valet problem as im stuck in valet mode like many others (i wish i never pushed the button) and though i have the black key and have opened the trunk nothing works, also the alarm goes off each time i lock it im also going to replace the hydraulic lines (convertible) I'm wondering why no one has tried steel brake lines.....SO LET THE FUN BEGIN ill post my success

Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Received 6,304 Likes on 5,492 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
I don't know much about the hyd hoses but there's a wealth of info in the XK section.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Rellsimone:

Welcome to the Jag forum. It's great that you're a good Ford mechanic, because the fuel pump on your XK8 is right out of a Ford--and not too expensive.

Now, let us know if you can figure out how to easily pull the tank. Those quick connectors above the differential give people fits.

Also, be sure to let us know what other issues you get into when you get your car running.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 AM

ok the new lines are in the fuel pump was in the second day after it was delivered so here are some details first i spoke in depth with the Parker hydraulic boys who also made my replacement latch hose. the idea of using steel brake line is sound next fluid i have tested and inquired and i am now using generic Oriley's power steering fluid comes in a gallon (antifreeze like) bottle not a problem next the latch its self if you have a line problem also replace the Oring on the latch piston the large black one not the small blue one as the blue one is specially made and rarely goes bad (also hard to get)<<<<this from MFP seals, they do nothing but seals. now the gas tank i cut a foot square out of the top just above the tank with the tank in place but nudged forward approx 5 inches then cut with a jig mind you the top didn't work at the time so it was tight. the cut is close and will be an easy weld then some light body work it can be welded with the tank in just put a large soaked towel between the tank and the car body. i haven't figured out how to fix the valet problem i'm researching how to reset the body processor

Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Default hydraulic lines

i can make a steel line replacement kit if anybody is interested (i called the dealer 335.00 for one latch hose) how does the saying go jaguar parts cost is the mother of invention or something like that.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:03 AM

update valet mode fixed
You'll never guess how
disconnected the door latch drivers side

Old 06-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rellsimone, for the same reason you will probably love your XK8 because you are a good mechanic is the reason I am thinking of selling mine. I am a lousy mechanic and to have anything done it costs a fortune. I can get in my Corvette and go anywhere in the country and never have a worry and every time I get in my Jag I envision what will break next. Really worried about the hydraulic lines for the top. I did do the voltage mod but I think the Jag is going to go in favor of a Accura NSX. More money but an amazing and reliable car. I love to drive cars but have no desire to work on them. I think I should have read allot more than I did before buying the XK8. Good luck with your project.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:54 AM
Default nice looking xk8

porkenstein your car looks good (xk8) and i have worked in the auto plants for years and even help build the 4,500 ford gt's which is a lot like the xk8 the car is really mechanically sound it's the plethora of sensors that cripple the car and most things that fail in production vehicles are parts used for manufacturing ease or cost. the convertible hose is as simple as plugging in an extension cord
Go to Please wait while we redirect.... and they can make a replacement. I got the longest hose in the car 18 feet replaced for $50.80 screwed it in and up and down the top went. So maybe don't sell it yet?

The following users liked this post:
porkenstein (06-26-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Does that 18 foot hose go from the pump all the way to the top or does it screw in to another hose. I might be interested in tackleing that job?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 PM

the hose goes from the pump all the way to the latch theres a step buy step on the forum thats really good

Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 PM

I read the step by step. Scared me. You might as well drive up to North Dakota and do it for me.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 AM

you can do it the rear seat has 5 screws the drivers seat has 4 and the door plate 3 and thats all to it just do it slow we are all here with more advise than any one needs

Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 AM
Default update

Well guys I have done numerous repairs to my xk8 I also put together a group of pdf’s that helped me through the repairs. First big thanks to the forum and all the information in it . I would like to mention that the xk8 is mostly solid state electronics which means a lot one of the biggest reasons this is important is that its reliable and inexpensive to repair so stop thinking everything has to cost with this car. Second I have said it before that the xk8 is built like a race car and in that I mean that everything is modular. the first repair was the convertible top because of the busted neglected hose behind the passenger quarter after removing all rear seats and quarter covers I find a hydraulic drenched foam and oil every where. So to the dollar store for 3 bottles of nail polish remover and to parker hydraulic (Please wait while we redirect....) for a replacement hose from the pump to the latch 18’ feet long (cost = $50.81) then on to the latch after removing the snap ring there are two seal rings the blue one is hard to come by the larger black is just an average O-ring which I replaced at mfp (martin fluid power) which later leaked the latch will also over travel and leak without a screw attached to limit piston travel the second replacement o-ring was from Harborfreight which needed a few taps to go down but made a excellent repair the fluid I’m using is Orilleys power steering fluid it comes in a gallon. Next repair was actually the first but I have posted it and it was the fuel pump purchased new for 59.00 at a local auto parts which later proved not to be working consistently so I returned it for a replacement (this I found the hard way looong story)
The new pump doesn’t fit in the bracket as well as the factory one but with an exactor knife and a hot glue gun easy peasey (more to come )

Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 AM

All that and so far you still sound like you are in a fairly good mood.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

It also sounds like you are having fun with the car.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Default thread title

1999 jaguar xk8 convertible 160k i guess i misunderstood i thought the title of the thread would describe the car but are there any trans experts out there also can we post pdf's

Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

You need to begin posting your questions and answers on the xk8 section of this forum, you are in the intro section. Yes you can post PDF files.

Quick Reply: jaguar 1999 xk8