New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Jaguar Wave Protocol

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Jaguar Wave Protocol

Seismicguy, the Series I, II, and III are the early XJ-6 sedans from the 60's up to 87. My 85 is a Series III. I do like the later XJ's, but theres just something about the older (Classic) Jags. With Corvettes, there pretty much the same. I realize their are plenty of options, and of course the Stingrays of days gone by. And, I do love Corvettes. But, theres not really that much difference in them, appearance wise. With Jags, there are plenty of differences with all the different models. So I guess, unless your driving the same model, you just don't get noticed as much. Seems I'm not the only one that notices that many drivers are oblivious to the significance of owning a jaguar. To be honest, I get more waves and comments from non-jaguar drivers when I'm driving my XJS, especially with the top down. My XJ-6 is always referred to asan "Old Mans Car", by my sons, but they do acknowledge the graceful body lines, and great handling and ride, and it gets just as many comments from true car guys.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

ORIGINAL: Keith

Seismicguy, the Series I, II, and III are the early XJ-6 sedans from the 60's up to 87. My 85 is a Series III. I do like the later XJ's, but theres just something about the older (Classic) Jags. With Corvettes, there pretty much the same. I realize their are plenty of options, and of course the Stingrays of days gone by. And, I do love Corvettes. But, theres not really that much difference in them, appearance wise. With Jags, there are plenty of differences with all the different models. So I guess, unless your driving the same model, you just don't get noticed as much. Seems I'm not the only one that notices that many drivers are oblivious to the significance of owning a jaguar. To be honest, I get more waves and comments from non-jaguar drivers when I'm driving my XJS, especially with the top down. My XJ-6 is always referred to asan "Old Mans Car", by my sons, but they do acknowledge the graceful body lines, and great handling and ride, and it gets just as many comments from true car guys.
Unfortunately, I think the impression of the general driving public viz-a-viz the significance of owning a Jaguar (or most British cars for that matter) comes down to trouble and questionable reliability. I suppose it goes back to the Lucas days when the experience was that if you owned a British car, it would mostly be in the shop.

This was borne out first hand by watching what my dad went through years ago when he first owned a Rover sedan (70s vintage) and then later model Rolls Royce (1971 and 1977). He loved all of these cars but it was amazing the amount of time they spent in the shop.

As a matter of fact, I had not really considered getting a Jag mostly due to the reputation that has haunted British cars. During the same time, the German cars have established a pretty good reputation for reliability and resale. So, at least in southern California (which admittedly is a bizarre point of reference) you need to be driving a Mercedes (AMG model even better) or BMW (preferably 6-series) to let people know that you've made it. Frankly, I believe the German cars are highly overrated and my 2 ownership experiences (1981 Audi Turbo and 1986 BMW 325) were among the worst I have ever had.

Doug

Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

She's my dad's fave Jaguar model

Old 09-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My first ever experience with a Jaguar was in Palm Springs in 1965.
Had the use of my granddad's 1957 3.4L MK1 sedan (LHD).
Raced and caught an XKE that passed my brother and I north of town.
Wanted a Jaguar ever since, but, even doing all the Brit work in shops I could not afford the time to maintain one.
Now I can.
Sort of.

BTW, off topic, but I discovered my 1950 Ford Tudor, bought in Oakland in 1970 with black plates, should I ever have a lobotomy and decide to move back to California, the plates I still have and the original registration will allow me to re-license with those black plates.

Go figure.

Back on-topic, I have a stack of old black and white photos from my uncle (had them for 45 years) dated 1955 and 1956 of road races in SoCal and Mexico, XK-120's sideways, Gull Wings on theexpressway and racing, all sorts of Jags of the vintage on the expressway to and from the races.

Folks used to drive their sports cars to March Field, Torrey Pines and such, slap a number on the door and go racing!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1966 Jaguar MK X above

I used to own a 1965 MK X when I was in Germany in the early 70's - only car on the autobahn the Germans would move over for to allow to pass . . [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

'65 MK X (mine was green)

Old 09-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Waved at three "new" Jags today.....either blank stares or confused looks.

However, waved at a 3000 Healy and got an enthusiatic wave back.

Oh, well.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Curmudgeon

Waved at three "new" Jags today.....either blank stares or confused looks.

However, waved at a 3000 Healy and got an enthusiatic wave back.

Oh, well.
That's a shame! Looks like we will have to get something started, especially with a marque that has so much history.

Doug

Old 09-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing about Jag drivers. I find the folks driving newer cars really don't seem to really notice older jaguars such as my 1988 XJ-SC. On the other hand I've had owners of XJ-S convertibles and hardtops actually pull alongside and strike up a conversation. Owners of other older model Jags will often give a nod and a smile, or a brief wave of the hand as we pass on the road. This isn't like the motorcycle scene. Here in the NW we're usually buttoned up against the elements while trying to avoid all the self destructive clowns out there playing bumper car while slurping their coffee, yelling at the kids in the back seat, or yacking on cell phones. While traveling it's not uncommon to have other Jaguar owners approach while parked at a rest area, restaurant, or gas station and exchange pleasantries. A universal wave doesn't really seem to exist unless it's the angry single digit salute that some of the more aggressive divers exchange frequently in heavy traffic.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I come from the Jeep world where everyone in a Wrangler or modified Jeep waves to each other, I still find myself waving to Wranglers, I am sure the owners are quite confused why some guy in a Jag is waving at em..

Old 09-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

My husband drives an HGV for the Royal Mail here in the UK and as they always wave at each other on the roads, he still has the habit of waving at the big red lorries on the road while in the Jaguar, they also probably wonder what he must be waving at.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  6.0 KB

Lol..........I've had that too

Driving down the M1 or M6 maybe in the freshly valeted A6 and maybe seen a particularly nice X type and drew alongside the guy, maybe had a real good look and or a wave, then drive off.
I imagine the guy thinkin............WEIRDO.....lol

Just habit though I guess

Jim

Old 12-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Well, today (last day of the year and almost exactly 4 months since I took possession of my car) I received my first wave. I was on the freeway driving to my office to finish out a couple of things for year-end and noticed an XK8 coming up pretty quickly behind me. The car was a slightly older model than mine but the exterior colors were the same (Quartz with black convertible top). He gave a honk and a very enthusiastic wave and I waved back. Call me sappy but I tend to enjoy this type of camaraderie.

Happy Holidays and hope the New Year brings positive changes.

Doug

Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've passed very few Jags while out in mine and none have waved back, but I've only had it a week lol.

In my old Range Rover I frequently get waves and headlights flashed while passing head on from other rover owners. For the most part land rover owners are a pretty friendly group