New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr 1990

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr 1990

Hello all,

I've owned my XJ40 for 19 years, long before the web and forums were invented! It's been a good car, very good without any major problems - until now... The mileage is 131000 and the car is close to Concours condition in Solent Blue.

Since retirement in 2004 I've taken up other hobbies (like large scale aero modelling), moved house etc. since moving my (our) dear old Jaguar has been unused and stored in an outdoor Carcoon, 18 months ago I had it out and ran it up and it started first time, After 6 years in the 'coon it is as highly polished as the day it was covered and with NO rust!

Sadly though it did not start, Why? - primarily because it is not receiving petrol in the rail, my first thought is that the fuel pump may not be working, but why?
The Service Manual (on CD) gives remove and re-fit instructions so I know where to look, in the vicinity of the diff area, access by removing the OSR wheel,

I plan on disconnecting the battery then applying an external power source directly to the fuel pump, if the pump them works I have to think about the pump relay (which I've unplugged then refitted) or even the ECU... This is where I draw a blank because all was working perfectly well 18 months ago.

Not quite sure how to use the VCR but after trying to start, switching off, then on again and pressing the VCR the word FAIL came up - but without any fault number, this baffles me... Any help would be very much appreciated chaps.

Jim
PS. I'd post a photo but can't find a way...

Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jim,

A rust free UK XJ40 is a very rare beast and definitely deserves posting a photo. Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...pictures-2418/ for information on how to post photos.

Follow this link XJ40 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJ40 section for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You may also like to visit the UK Region section by following this link UK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to find other members in this country.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 05-18-2013, 02:35 PM

Followed the link, entered picture, nothing shown!?
Thanks,
Jim

Old 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Jim Wills
Followed the link, entered picture, nothing shown!?
Thanks,
Jim
Follow this sequence (click on an image to enlarge it):

1. from Quick Reply, click on the Go Advanced button:

Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr  1990-pic-1.jpg

2. in the Reply to Thread menu, click on Attachments (arrowed in red):

Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr  1990-pic-2.jpg

3. in the dialogue box, click on the Browse button 9arrowed in blue) and navigate to folder on your PC where you have the photos

Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr  1990-pic-3.jpg

4. click the Upload button - it may take a while depending on the file size and your Internet connection:

Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr  1990-pic-4.jpg

5. click on the Attachments button again and the file you've uploaded is there:

Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr  1990-pic-5.jpg

6. click on the file to insert it into your post:

Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr  1990-pic-6.jpg

7. click on Submit Reply button at the bottom of the screen.

Graham

Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jim,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi Jim:
There are lots of possibilities. Post your concerns in the XJ40 section and we'll get working! Your car sounds amazing and worthy of every effort.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Received 4,331 Likes on 3,741 Posts

welcome to the forum and the Jag family

Old 05-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Default Photo - my 1990 XJ40 4ltr. Sovereign

As a new day dawns here I'm hoping that the body collaborates with the mind (at 75) in allowing me to crawl around under the car to get at the pump. It must have run very quietly because in 50,000 miles I've never heard it...

For 7 years now my coronary stents have worked well, I just worry about pushing them too far. In more youthful days I would spend more time under cars than enough, now though my mind has to ask the body for 'permission'.

With the car parked on a slight upward gradient the fuel gauge shows just above the red reserve mark, I've thought about putting in more petrol on top of the very much older contents, a quick sniff in the fuel filler gave no indication of that stale smell I've noticed on my Sunbeam S8 that hasn't been used for a much longer period.
Just maybe the pump could be drawing air!!

Here's a photo of our XJ40 Sovereign:

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XJ40 4 Ltr  1990-image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 06:41 AM
Default Today's findings

Hi All,

Trying the most obvious things first I put in 4 gallons of high octane petrol, still no fuel at rail with supply pipe disconnected on switching starter;

Checking the VCM this time brought up: 'Fuse1, 2, 3, 5, PRO, FAIL.'
With passenger panel removed I'm trying to locate such fuses, so what is the 'PRO' bit?

Any help would be most appreciated...

Jim

Old 05-19-2013, 10:22 AM
GGG

Jim,

A slight diversion first. The XJ40 deserves a full size photo - absolutely superb......

.......... I think you'll get a better response from owners with the same model by asking about the fuel pump issue in the XJ40 section. I can move the posts about it for you or you can start a new thread there yourself.

Let me know if you want me to move the posts.

Graham

Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Graham,
Thanks for your comments, wouldn't it be nice if it were running? The fuse business has got me flummoxed - there just aren't any such!

I would be grateful if you could move the thread as I am unsure how to do so.

Your interest is appreciated.

Jim

Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 PM
GGG

Jim,

I've moved your 'Regional' post to the XJ40 section as it neatly describes the issue in a single post. You can double click on this link to go directly to it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-start-95607/

It's many years and several Jaguars since my own XJ40 gave up the ghost and my recollection of mechanical and electrical details is a little vague . If members in the XJ40 section don't come up with some inspiration to assist in the near future, I'll unearth my set of factory service manuals from the loft and refresh the memory.

Graham

Old 05-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Further checks carried out today, with plenty of fuel in the tank another try at starting, or rather getting fuel through...

With a further check on the VCM 3 times, it has indicated 1st time:'Fuse 6', 2nd time 'Fuse 5 Fail' and 3rd time ' Fuse 5'

None of the 'A' post fuses have numbers that correspond with the VCM read outs so I have drawn a blank here!

On to the fuel pump, - its on the Left side contrary to the manual and is not in the least easy to get at being inside the axle carrier frame, so another approach would be to find the other end of the electrical feed and try connecting a separate supply there - but exactly where, the Manual's wiring diagrams are unclear on this...

Jim

Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Hi Graham,
I think the problem is sorted - almost, I had my friendly repair shop man come round today and while he got beneath the car and tapped the pump with a hammer I switched the Ign on and off a few times, when 'ON' the pump could be felt trying to turn but was prevented by gummed deposits, releasing the pipe between the pump and filter showed no fuel flow.

Straight away I ordered a new pump from SNG Barratt that will be delivered tomorrow by UPS Courier.

When I have it I'll let Jonathan the friendly repair man know and he will come and fit it...
When running again I'll take the car round to his company so that he can do the MOT.

Here in Norfolk we have a 'Jaguar Private Company' that has quoted me an hourly charge of £65 + vat - but the more local company run by Jonathan charges £35 ph + vat, has a very large shop with 6 lifts and is as clean as an op theatre.

The company is: BC&R Car & Van Centre, Garrood Drive, Fakenham Industrial Estate NR21 8NN ph.01328 863108. I would highly recommend this company to any jag owning enthusiast that may be in this area.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome of this work...

Jim

Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM
GGG

Jim,

Apart from the cost of a new pump, good news that it's a simple issue.

Jonathan can't be leading an extravagant lifestyle at £35 per hour!

Graham

Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Hi Graham,
Today has been a wonderful day - apart from 30 minute rainstorms every two hours...

The fuel pump ordered yesterday arrived this morning, Jonathan from BC&R arrived at 4pm and worked at fitting it until 6.30pm.

Finally we turned the key and she started albeit lumpily with No 5 cyl a bit recalcitrant due to a combination of some aged petrol and an empty hydraulic lifter, after leaving her running for 1/2 hour all became well again with the engine giving prompt throttle response and smooth tick over even after switching to LPG.

She's booked for MOT next Tuesday with Jonathan's company whereafter we're back on the road after six years!

I have to give a vote of thanks to all who have wracked their brains to help me find the answer to the problem, I hope too, that as enthusiasts each of you additionally enjoy membership of the world wide Jaguar Enthusiast's Club located here in UK.

Thank you to One and All.

I shall certainly keep in touch with good folk on this wonderful forum.

Jim

Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 PM
GGG

Jim,

Excellent. Not very often that a dead Jaguar is coaxed back into life so economically!

I hope the MoT goes smoothly and we get some reasonable weather for you to enjoy driving again.

Graham

Old 05-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................