New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Jaguar XJS Emmissions Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJS Emmissions Problem

This regards California car, 1996 XJS Convertible w/ 85,000 miles. I wanted to activate car after two years of storage. Car was taken to smog & repair shop to pass California DMV Biennial Emmissions Inspection. Mechanic replaced cooling thermostat, and cleaned throttle body. Notes on his work sheet referenced the following: " After the above problems were repaired I found idle to still be held high and monitors would not complete. After further diagnosis, found computer not controlling stepper valve. After searching for computer, could not find one available." Mechanic said he could possibly locate "Computer" from electronics company, but I would have to send $700 to them, and they would send me the part but not quarantee that it would solve the problem???

After doing some research on various Jaguar forms I was able to ascertain that two components might be responsible for the high idle problem and malfunction indicator light. These are: The Lucas Idle Control Valve, and Mass Air Flow Sensor. Can any of you confirm that these parts might be causing the problem, or can you tell me what part the mechanic was referring to as the "Computer". Is this the "PCM" ? The quandry is do I buy a replacement computer and hope the other components are okay, or do I buy the components first ? YIKES!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site davmin.......
Good to have you here onboard one of the friendliest forums around.
Sorry I can't help with your issues and this is not the best section for requests for help as this is the new members section.
Please ask for help in the section relevant for your vehicle and the guys will soon chime in I'm sure
Jump in and enjoy everything thats going on....there's usually plenty in all sections.

I hope we may be able to help and offer some suggestions /help as needed

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can access all the sites features

Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum davmin, as Jim says, off over to the XJS section for tech questions.

The guys over there, have some serious knowledge.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 6,336 Likes on 5,521 Posts

Welcome Davmin,

I can only echo what was said above, Jim has upgraded your access so you can use all the tools that the forum has available.