New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

jepjrmd xj8 new member

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jepjrmd xj8 new member

Hey!
I just bought a 2001 xj8 with 20K miles from a lady who got this in a divorce in 2004~ and let it sit at her mothers house in Georgia. It had some sun damage on the paint. The only other problem weve been able to find was that apparently they had some gas tank problems and got some joker in a shop in Ga. to "replace" the tank for 280$. When I got it I knew there was a problem with the tank, because I could smell gas after filling-up and you had to fill very slowly, or it would "over-flow", so I bought it "eyes open." So I just got word from my mechanic here in Jacksonville Florida that the guy in the middle of nowhere Ga really screwed things up when he put the used tank in, no suprise! When they dropped the tank, at least it was the correct yr tank, but, he had damaged 1 out of 2 of the fuel lines, they cleaned out the rust in the tank, recomended replacing the fuel filter, and the "sock" and since it seemed like the fuel gauge occaisionally was reading erratic, they recomended replacing the fuel sender while we had it all apart, because since we didnt know how many miles the old tank had, the sender might fail eventually anyway, and then wed have to drop the tank again anyway and replace it eventually, and it would be wisest to do it now.

All this sound reasonable to you guys with more "Jag experience"

Thanks
JP

Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 6,338 Likes on 5,523 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
You should ask your question in the tech section, but it sounds like your man is on the right track.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see you.

Sounds sensible to me.

Although I'm not so sure about the need to pull the tank to replace a sender unit, unless things have really changed.