New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Just bought my first XK8 - UK

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just bought my first XK8 - UK

Hello all.
Bought my first XK8 yesterday, blue, 1996, 113k miles in pretty good nick. Long Jaguar and Indy history, millions of bills. I got an amazing 31mpg on the way home via motorway. 20-25mpg on the urban bit.

I'm good with fixing up cars, mechanical and electrical and expect a challenge with this. I've been poring over your fine forum and it's awesome, so many resources!

Thought I'd share with you what I'm up against. Any tips welcome of course but already doing the legwork.
  1. Radio aerial doesn't move. I've disassembled it and it's the aerial's PCB but I can't see or read any faults with it.
  2. Passenger mirror does everything OK but pushes easily on the bottom right so there's some sort of anchorage missing / broken.
  3. There's a bit of a clonk from the nearside rear when I go over a pothole or whatever.
  4. Aircon doesn't work. Will get it recharged this week and hope it stays.
  5. Headlining has come away from the roof. I've seen a few replacement guides but they all look difficult.
  6. There's a spot of bad paint the size of a 10p on the bonnet.
  7. Drivers seat has the usual creases and scars but no tears.
  8. There's no power amp in the boot. Is it possible to just buy one and plug and play?
  9. An odd one. The cigar lighter works but any accessory I plug in does not.
  10. When I start the car there's a squeak from the offside right in the engine bay. A tensioner or something?
  11. Any way to replace the multi-CD with an iPod or Bluetooth connection?
  12. It's good to write this stuff down, makes you think about the weeks ahead.

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (09-28-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Welcome to Jaguar Forums

Welcome [looops] ... and greetings from all of us Jaguar enthusiasts down under. I like (and also use) your strategy of listing the priorities. You will find it's a great discipline in maintaining and servicing your beastie. You sound like you have been exploring the resources available here ... and found your relevant XK8/XKR Section from which our tech gurus will be able to answer any questions you may have about your XK8.

Others closer to your home base will be along shortly to welcome you; so I will confine myself to just a few quick tips. Firstly, on the main menu bar at upper left of screen click on [User CP] and navigate down options to click on [Edit Signature] to add your car's year/model/variant as a permanent feature of all your future posts, thus ensuring that all advice you receive is relevant and accurate. Secondly, and important for anyone planning to work on their Cat; identify and download all the resources you can to guide you ... JTIS (workshop manuals) and Wiring Diagrams in particular. Diagnosing electrical issues is difficult enough ... but without the correct diagrams for your car, understanding then working on the complex electronics becomes impossible ... the audio system on your XK8 is a perfect example.

It's great to have you join us ... so dive in and enjoy.
Best wishes,
Ken

Old 09-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,463 Likes on 5,466 Posts

Congratulations on your 'new' car!
I agree; it's good to make a list of everything you want/need to give attention so you can work on it whenever you get time.
Welcome from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 09-28-2014, 05:45 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum looops,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I've copied the issues list from your Intro to XK8/XKR tech forum for advice from members with the same model. Here's the direct link to it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xk8-uk-127531/

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-17/ to the main XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the UK Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-68/
to find other members in this country.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 09-28-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums loops,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Received 4,331 Likes on 3,741 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Hi there,

Welcome to JaguarForums where you will find the friendliest crowd of Jaguar fans you are likely to find anywhere.

I see that Graham has given you some great pointers to get you started on here, and I won't replicate them - instead I'll pick up on the regional side.. In the UK we have quite a number of meets that allow you to put names and faces on here to cars, and have a great day out.. the meets are well worth putting yourself down for.. additionally the UK regional section here lists suppliers etc all recommended by members of JaguarForums, and a range of information specific to the UK region...
Looking at your list you are doing well to prioritise your work (better than I usually manage :-)) I hope you manage to work your way through the list all OK - if you have any issues as you go please feel free to post in the section for your car as there is sure to be someone who will have already hit that issue and will have a workaround or fix for you :-)

Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, Supermoderator and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 13,399 Likes on 6,606 Posts

looops,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

Cheers,

Don