New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Just a burned out old mechanic with a new Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017 | 07:26 PM
|
Arrow Just a burned out old mechanic with a new Jaguar

Until six years ago, I made my living as a line mechanic in numerous automobile dealerships. I am far too old to have ever been a technician, despite what my service writers may have ever said.

I have worked for VW, Porsche-Audi, Opel (yes, I'm that old), Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB and Volvo.

One day I was standing underneath a Volvo (I vaguely recall it was a 740 Turbo wagon), replacing worn out trailing arm bushings and I decided I didn't want to work on cars anymore.

I went to work for Harley-Davidson.

Eventually I found myself working for my local Police Department as the lead motorcycle mechanic keeping a fleet of 45 badly abused Police motorcycles on the road. When you think of Harley-Davidson think of one hundred and ten years of tradition uninterrupted by progress.

But I digress....

I retired. I/we paid off the mortgage.

A window presented itself: I could buy any car I wanted, within a reasonable budget.

I looked at a lot of different cars
My friends were incredulous back in December when I told them I had ordered a 2017 British Racing Green rear wheel drive XE R Sport SC V6 3.0L, ZF eight speed (Four planetary gear sets, drool!), with the black out package, no engine badging, black twin spoke wheels and adaptive dynamics.

Wait, what? Why? Really? How could I buy a Jaguar? They told me "I should know better"..............meh.

I bought this car because I believe it's a hell of a lotta' car for under 60 grand, in my professional opinion. I bought this car because of Bosch.

I friggin' love this car and look forward to leaning more about it here.

Last edited by Charles Calthrop; 04-12-2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelin'
Old 04-11-2017 | 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on having the Spine to buy the car YOU want, and not caving in to peer pressure for no good reason! After all, those Other people are probably merely "Following the Crowd." People like you encourage and inspire people like me.

Good Job!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 04-11-2017 | 09:51 PM

Welcome aboard.

Old 04-12-2017 | 02:26 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Charles,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Recognised the name before I opened your post.

I can see you've already found your way to the X760 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Mid Atlantic Region forum by following this link US Mid Atlantic - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 04-12-2017 | 03:39 AM

Welcome.

Well done.

Opel, oh my, the nightmares I remember well.

Old 04-12-2017 | 05:42 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-12-2017 | 05:49 AM
|

Thanks for the welcome.

I guess I'll eventually be able to edit my posts for punctuation/spelin and gramer.

I found my "photo album" and like that all my crappy iPhone pictures can be found in one place.

How do I enable reply notifications?

This is my new signature test post.....

Old 04-12-2017 | 06:09 AM

welcome to the forum!!!

Old 04-12-2017 | 05:16 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Charles,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 04-13-2017 | 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Always pleased to welcome a fellow Virginian! Pretty car! Hope you enjoy it and your retirement!

Dwayne