New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Keeper of the cat

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018 | 05:55 PM
|
Default Keeper of the cat

Greetings all, coming in with an '05 XJ8L here. The car belongs to my mother, her gift to herself now that all the kids are finally out, and I am just its keeper. What brought me around is an issue with a melted through air line and trying to get things put together properly. The car was a former corporate rental car and has been wrecked up an three of its four sides. Poor body repair quality, mismatched paint hue, overspray and other issues give me little confidence in the quality of the repair work that was performed. Other than that, the car has been superb. All parts and functions of the car are behaving as they are supposed to, when they are supposed to, with the exception of only a few things that are related to its wreck.

What brings me around to here though is the air line. One of the three that are bundled together had a hole melted in it by the exhaust, so now I have to pull it out and replace it. Well, that is a task and a half. There are zip ties holding the bundle together every few inches, and clips holding them together and to the car every foot or so. Additionally, there are large fiberglass panels under the car that have to be removed first before I can get to the air lines.

Here is where it went bad.

The bolts holding in the panels have all had their anchor nuts wrenched loose, so now I have no way of removing the panels short of pulling apart the interior to get at the anchor nuts, or breaking apart the panels. I don't want to break the panels since they are in good condition and have no desire to break something that isn't. I don't have the time to pull apart half the interior either since the car is needed in a few days.

My main concern, and question for knowledge, comes down to this...

If I drill out the studs and take of the panel, how important are they to the car of it is driven with them off for a month or two? It looks like they are nothing but deflection and air control panels meant to protect the soft aluminum underside, air lines and other components from road debris, as well as some additional sound control to reduce road noise, but that is about it. If this is the case, then removing the panel and leaving it off for a while will be just fine. Does anyone have any knowledge of these panels and their importance? thanks.

Additionally, if anyone is willing to get under their car and provide some pics of how the air line bundle is supposed to be secured at the spare tire well, that would be great. I don't see any way to anchor the bracket, but that is no surprise since it may have been left off when it was poorly repaired from the wreck.

The three line bundle that comes out and around the spare tire well. Sitting against the exhaust.

The melted bracket.

The line bundle going between the panel and the car body.

Line bundle coming out from the front of the panel.

The panel that is now stuck on the car.

Old 07-13-2018 | 03:17 AM

Welcome.

I reckon this belongs in the X350 Tech Section, where many more will see it and answer your questions.

Not the best previous mechanic on the block for sure.

Old 07-13-2018 | 04:34 AM

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-13-2018 | 05:26 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-13-2018 | 08:10 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Nikodaemos,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I've copied your question to X350 forum for advice from members with the same model. Here's the direct link to it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-lines-204869/

I can see you've already found your way to the X350 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-midwest-39/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-13-2018 | 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hello, Nickodaemos,
I've seen some poor work, but this is among the worst.
I hope you get all this sorted eventually.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 07-13-2018 | 10:22 AM
|

Originally Posted by LnrB
Hello, Nickodaemos,
I've seen some poor work, but this is among the worst.
I hope you get all this sorted eventually.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')
The air lines are on the driver side, and thankfully it was the passenger side that was damaged the most. There is evidence of tampering all over the car though. It has been through a few shops, but its strong. Just has a few scars is all.

Old 07-13-2018 | 11:27 AM

welcome to the forum - hope you can get resolved in short order so you can enjoy!!!

Old 07-15-2018 | 08:57 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Nikodaemus,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help