New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Kinda new Member, mad member

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda new Member, mad member

As my name says. I am an angry Jag owner. I have a 03 STR with 48K miles on it, bought it with 42K.
I have anger problems with all the little, yet very expensive repairs needed for these cars.

Dont mind this post, I am just angry right now. My car is alot of fun, when the dash lights arent blinding me, or headlights pointing down, or ABS or DSC lights or malfuntioning, or the Lurch or Bucking at low speeds, or A/C blowing hot and locking up and sweating to death, or Gearbox malfuntion, or getting stuck in park, or the steering wheel whining, or the rear end whining at 55, or ,,, umm lets see........ The stereo is great though,... wait, no its not.. its really bad, sorry..
But other than that I love it. Brakes are awsome, but they shake the wheel.. its ok.. I can hold wheel tight... So, I guess its a love hate... mostly hate and crying in a dark corner. But I really love the core of the car, I think all the little electronics suck pretty bad, but the engine, and wheels are great. Body is awsome, interior is great.

That being said...

Old 09-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome,now tell us how you really feel!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

This might help. No fun after the big wallet flush though.

I am extremely mechanically inclined and have always been my own mechanic as soon as cars left factory warranty, however, this afternoon, I put about $360 down and agreed to $180/month for the next 18 months to 0% interest, about 3600 total purchase for a 72 month, 60,000 mile aftermarket service agreement through local Jag dealer.

The only compromise is they are allowed to use used parts but deductible is $100 per visit no matter how many problems are identified and does not apply to re-visit a problem once identified. The items you inidcated are all listed as covered stuff. This added a hunk to the investment and was not really planned for but felt it might not be a bad idea for my peace of mind.

One trick, they do go through the car front to back on inspection and require an oil change at start (my dealer waived $200 inspection fee - OK $92 for the oil change is a bit of a bend over here it comes again deal).

The carrier is Fidelity NOT Fidelis, platinum plus plan which (other than used parts issue) covers a great deal more than even my certified select warranty. I would think your local Jag dealer may offer same.

It also allows you to go to independent garage for service and transfer to new owner if you sell the car as long as it is not to a dealer.

I cashed in the piece of crap power train only warranty I bought with the car to get the $360 and with the assistance of many helpful members, I used the certified jag warranty that runs out in about a month to sort out all the crap you find with a used car. Any used car.

If you have had the little widgets all fixed, you may want to go for the warranty/inspection process and get some peace of mind. There are shorter plans available but I would go with a very comprehensive plan, the one with the paragraph that says "OK, all the crap we excluded for all the above plans is now included". The "internally lubricated parts of the engine and drive train" are expensive but on your model they are probably the dependable part of the deal (transmission might be so so). Its the perpheral goobers that will drain the wallet and not covered bu most aftermarket service agreements.

I have to admit it was a nice drive home where for once I was not in the OK if your gonna break, break now while I have coverage. Also was nice knowing it had another once over by someone where this time if they missed something it will be on someone elses dime to take care of it. The inspection I paid for before buying the car was the other end of the deal whatever they missed, I got to pay for.

If it helps, while shopping for mine, I was not able to get hold of a buyer who let go of a 2000 coupe with less than 10,000 miles on it for under $20,000. If you want to talk pain, divide what the original owner took a hit for on depreciation and insurance cost for the miles driven (orignally car was about $65k to $70K). We have some maintenence issues but you drive in luxury for a pittance of what others think you pay.

Best of luck! Hope you can change to "formerly angry now happy" forum name.

Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome to the forums , I hope you get your problems sorted out soon and be a happy member

Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there AJO, welcome to the forum
Sorry to hear about your probs but it is essentially a great car.
Check out the S type section and look at ALL THE tsb'S AND FAQ's for the S.
I'm sure you'll find it va ery useful tool

Good luck

Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cadillac
Welcome to the forums , I hope you get your problems sorted out soon and be a happy member

Wait,

I forgot to mention a couple other things....
The supercharger pulley they engineered to sit too close and it squeaks, and when you replace that, seeing as its updated, you need to replace all your belts, and pulleys. $970 from dealer...

Ok,
I feel better about venting.
I am a happy member, not happy jag owner.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

Ok ok AJO....We get the picture.
Obviously you're not a happy bunny right now, but constant moaning aint gonna get you anywhere fast.

Please try and post your problems / queries into the relevant section as this is only intended for the welcome of new members / owners. Posted there, hopefully you may get some help, if thats what you're looking for?

Thanks