New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Long Time Lurker

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Long Time Lurker

Evening, or Morning, Afternoon wherever you are,

As a long time casual reader of this forum, I thought it time to say hi and thanks to all those who have contributed information to the forum that has helped myself and others.

I currently have an X-type Estate / Wagon that I’ve had for over five years which has had so much love that I’m stuck with it… good job I like it. Sills / Rockers have been extensively repaired (no, not just the outers!), it’s had springs, dampers, drop links, bearings, top mounts, refurbished wheels, matching dunlops, Focus ST225 front brakes and the list goes on.

it was LPG converted but that has caused so many problems I haven’t even managed to figure what is wrong so I decided instead to start cleaning up 3.0 to replace my
ailing 2.5.

it’s amazing how many things that used to be easy to come by are now NLA.

Previously I had a 3.0 saloon / sedan back when these cars were still in production (!!!), and later a mildly remapped X204 TDV6

Old 08-10-2024, 12:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 400nerd
Evening, or Morning, Afternoon wherever you are,

As a long time casual reader of this forum, I thought it time to say hi and thanks to all those who have contributed information to the forum that has helped myself and others.

I currently have an X-type Estate / Wagon that I’ve had for over five years which has had so much love that I’m stuck with it… good job I like it. Sills / Rockers have been extensively repaired (no, not just the outers!), it’s had springs, dampers, drop links, bearings, top mounts, refurbished wheels, matching dunlops, Focus ST225 front brakes and the list goes on.

it was LPG converted but that has caused so many problems I haven’t even managed to figure what is wrong so I decided instead to start cleaning up 3.0 to replace my
ailing 2.5.

it’s amazing how many things that used to be easy to come by are now NLA.

Previously I had a 3.0 saloon / sedan back when these cars were still in production (!!!), and later a mildly remapped X204 TDV6
If you need help with sorting the LPG, that was one of the many things I did in a past life, so happy to help. Maybe the moderator can guide us to a separate thread if they think that would be a better way to go about it, I've only been here a few days myself, so no idea on how to navigate this forum yet, it seems to have a mind of its own sometimes :lol:

T1 Terry

The following users liked this post:
400nerd (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 02:04 AM
Received 10,544 Likes on 6,964 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

400nerd (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 04:20 AM
Received 3,979 Likes on 2,877 Posts

Welcome aboard.

400nerd (08-10-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 06:30 AM
Received 4,317 Likes on 3,731 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

400nerd (08-12-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 08:26 AM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums 400nerd,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

400nerd (08-12-2024)
Old 08-10-2024, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,448 Posts

Hello,
As you've been lurking here for so long, you doubtless know some of our X-type Gurus, and how delighted they are to help people like you keep these kitties on the road.

Welcome (officially) to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

400nerd (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 05:41 AM

Apologies Terry,

I did try and reply over the weekend by my phone kept logging me out...

Appreciate the offer but to be honest, I'm calling time on LPG with this one, the installation despite being the same chap who did my previous car to an extremely high standard seems to have lost the plot in the years between and it's caused a lot of pain. Over the weekend, I was removing more of the kit and found even more problems, such as the valveblock on the LPG tank not being particularly secure! Some of the allen head bolts around the rim of that block were at best finger-tight... I also found trapped degas hoses under the EJB fusebox that have crush damage.

One of the main issues with the set up I had was, because originally the plan was to reuse the old reducer / evaporator, the 2.5 was deemed at the limit of what it could do, otherwise I'd have bought a 3.0 at the time which were more readily available, so to work with the 3.0 would be another investment, and I've not had chance to diagnose what was the final issue with the 2.5 because I've found so many things, any of which could have cause the issues I've had! I found LPG nozzles in the intake almost blocked by touching the side on the intake tract, I found hose runs that were all very different lengths, some lengths double the design guidelines for the BRC system.

The most difficult part though is lack of LPG stations around, some of the larger franchise fell victim to lack of use during COVID times, and when the likes of Shell refurbished, they left the LPG equipment out. There's a farm near me that still sells and is good value, but it's a rickety old set up that you can't always rely on (their stuff wouldn't even work with my previous car!) . So all-in-all, although when I'm commuting in the rebuilt car with its addictive soundtrack and a manual gearbox to help play those tunes, I will probably regret it, for the time being I intend to leave LPG off!

Thank you very much for the kind welcome

Old 08-12-2024, 05:44 AM

Also,

Thanks to everyone else for the kind welcomes

The following 2 users liked this post by 400nerd:
Daf11e (08-12-2024), LnrB (08-12-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 12:51 AM
Received 296 Likes on 164 Posts

Welcome X400 nerd.

You responded to one of my posts.

I was deeply involved in the X type and disliked it at the time (I was BMW brainwashed at the time and was upset it wasn't RWD). Since then Ive lived in germany and now the USA and I really am very fond of the X type. Especially for the price and relative to the very disparaging comments people still make about them.

Mines been a gem and I used to use it as a winter car up in the midwest. I used special treatment to save it from tin worm and it worked (the car is originally from a sunny southern state- so that helped).

I've driven it across the USA twice- so that's easily 8000 miles there.

I've done the Bilstien B6s with Jaguar sport springs with the bigger St225 front breaks and HID style head lights.

I haven't used it alot much recently as I have a company Acura now but I actually prefer the X type to my Integra. May be one day when I retire and I'm not using my aston or XJR!

Cheers