New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Mark vii new member

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 06:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mark vii new member

Been creeping on the forum for a while now. It is close to time that I will be picking up a mark vii that has been sitting in a garage for around 40 years so will be needing guidance in the coming months/years lol.

The following users liked this post:
OhIDon'tKnow (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 808 Posts

Welcome. That is truly a classic. Please post some pics when you can.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know what's up with my perusing new member intros today. Swore I was not going to become involved in forums anymore.
Hmm, as a new member here also, perhaps my ID choice had more significance than I realized?

I had a Mk7 once. Great cars. young and dumb in the mid 90s, I never expected they would become so rare.
Many lifetimes ago already.

While I have never driven an XK120, the popular description of the Mk7 being a 4door XK120 I imagine to be spot on accurate.
Boy that car did not feel so large driving and easily thrown around. With the 4 speed gearbox it truly felt like an old 50s racer.

They are such a big car though with such nuanced nooks and crannies.
So much body that it is initially like restoring and maintaining a beautiful old sailboat.
Such a massive frame too..
Very enjoyable to work on though as there is so much open space within the engine bay and elsewhere.
Was a dream to work on compared to my Mk2.

Don't know your intentions or direction, but as a solid, long term driver, take care of that frame, POR15 it and everything else you can, inner doors, etc and be done with it forever. POR15 has never let me down.
Many wires run underneath, threw frame holes, etc.
Use modern materials for protection whenever possible.

best wishes.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,353 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Boy Howdy are you Ever gonna have fun!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 03-22-2021, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the warm welcomes. The car is actually my grandfathers and use to be their daily driver. He drove it in the bottom garage and parked it so all trim and parts should be there as they were the second owner. Since he drove it there I am hoping to the engine is still free but the brakes are locked up so that will be the first hurdle to get it home.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jeffers187:
LnrB (03-23-2021), OhIDon'tKnow (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:29 AM
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:42 AM

That's wonderful.
A wonderful thing to have which you will enjoy and remember your grandfather.
Believe me, I know that feeling oh so well. One certainly tends to hold onto "things" and become attached to them as a representation of the lost loved one.
Often times we need to let go of them, it isn't healthy.
Other times, it can be fun and a cherished item, such as this.

Mechanical parts for these cars (and this model) are very easily found and interchangeable with other models.
With knowledge and experience, knowing what to look for, they can be done on a shoestring if you do all work yourself.
There will be several people who will offer good advice, and several that will give "ideals" of doing things and buying things.
Sometimes pedantry, sometimes to justify their own choices and big bills spent on their cars.

It is the nature of forums. You decide precisely what you want to do, and stay on that track.
Don't allow others to sway or guide you blindly. You will NEVER complete ANYTHING.
I have very little experience with this forum. The other popular Jaguar forum, I do.
And I have seen it happen all too often to those in your position and those similarly new to this stuff.

These are not rocket ships. A car is a car.
Remember not to be a snob or elitist either.
I always was, especially when younger.
Great info and experience can be found within hotrod forums, etc.

Get some manuals online. Get some Jaguar books. They can be found cheap online these days.
Images abound online for originality references. The internet is a Godsend for this stuff these days.

Should you need some help or guidance finding parts online and sources, don't hesitate to PM me and I will forward my best advice and list of parts providers and sources.

And do remember almost above all. Safety first.
These are big heavy cars. Well regarded enthusiasts have been crushed beneath their cars and died not exercising proper precautions in moments of fatigue etc. Have a primary, secondary....and even tertiary ....support if possible when underneath, etc.
We all do it, in the moment, try to get away with things, tired, etc.
Don't allow yourself to create that habit.

All the best to you.

Last edited by OhIDon'tKnow; 03-23-2021 at 12:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jerry_hoback (04-06-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 01:29 AM

PS
Wished to send you a PM, but you haven't enough activity yet.

Final note, I am quite certain the MKVII had drum brakes and disks didn't come into play until the MKVIII.
May be best depending where it is, to simply remove the drums to roll it/tow it out.

These motors never ceased to amaze me.
I have had similar cars, in similar situations start up and run well after going through the proper preparation and steps.

Don't wish to get your hopes up, but I advise not to try and start it at all until all has been prepped first.

Fog cylinders and shoot oil down the plug holes.
Then try turning with a breaker bar clockwise at crank damper to see if it's free.

Then remove carbs and clean/rebuild..address, wiring, etc. if necessary.
Use separate fuel source, of course.

As a note, my car too had been sitting a long time.
Outwardly, motor and all really nice shape. even ran well once I got it started from moving trailer tuning carbs right there..
Drove it around back to garage, began going through it all as I do.
Removed water pump.....madness.
The insides looked like it was buried in bottom of ocean within a pirate's ship.

Not proper coolant left within. Hard water turned to sand, etc..
There it began....
Miraculously all ok and very limited aluminum corrosion.
So outward appearances can be misleading.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
over and out.

Last edited by OhIDon'tKnow; 03-23-2021 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Jeffers187,

Good to have you with us.

It sounds like you've already found your way to the Mark V - X 420G forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also use the US Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-midwest-39/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-23-2021, 03:24 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:39 AM
Received 10,520 Likes on 6,949 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Awesome car, my first car.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:12 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Jeffers187,
Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-23-2021, 07:24 AM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 04-06-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by OhIDon'tKnow
That's wonderful.
A wonderful thing to have which you will enjoy and remember your grandfather.
Believe me, I know that feeling oh so well. One certainly tends to hold onto "things" and become attached to them as a representation of the lost loved one.
Often times we need to let go of them, it isn't healthy.
Other times, it can be fun and a cherished item, such as this.

Mechanical parts for these cars (and this model) are very easily found and interchangeable with other models.
With knowledge and experience, knowing what to look for, they can be done on a shoestring if you do all work yourself.
There will be several people who will offer good advice, and several that will give "ideals" of doing things and buying things.
Sometimes pedantry, sometimes to justify their own choices and big bills spent on their cars.

It is the nature of forums. You decide precisely what you want to do, and stay on that track.
Don't allow others to sway or guide you blindly. You will NEVER complete ANYTHING.
I have very little experience with this forum. The other popular Jaguar forum, I do.
And I have seen it happen all too often to those in your position and those similarly new to this stuff.

These are not rocket ships. A car is a car.
Remember not to be a snob or elitist either.
I always was, especially when younger.
Great info and experience can be found within hotrod forums, etc.

Get some manuals online. Get some Jaguar books. They can be found cheap online these days.
Images abound online for originality references. The internet is a Godsend for this stuff these days.

Should you need some help or guidance finding parts online and sources, don't hesitate to PM me and I will forward my best advice and list of parts providers and sources.

And do remember almost above all. Safety first.
These are big heavy cars. Well regarded enthusiasts have been crushed beneath their cars and died not exercising proper precautions in moments of fatigue etc. Have a primary, secondary....and even tertiary ....support if possible when underneath, etc.
We all do it, in the moment, try to get away with things, tired, etc.
Don't allow yourself to create that habit.

All the best to you.
thank you for the good advice! That was my plan was to get it home and do the process in the garage for its first start so I am not starting it with a well lubricated base and good fuel. If it is beyond fixing then a 350 will be going in.

I mainly work on modern cars, motorcycles, and atvs so this will absolutely be a new adventure. I really like the advice of do it how you want it done as well. These are an expensive car to redo and as I would love to keep everything original I am also well aware of my budget.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:57 AM

Hi again
You're welcome.

However, I strongly, strongly urge you to reconsider any V8 conversion.

These cars have become very rare and desirable, especially intact as yours apparently is.
Selling it as is on BaT would bring a solid premium I believe.

Of all the Jaguars I had, it is one I wish I kept. Never considered its rarity at the time.
Great running and driving..halfway through the wiring resto I sold it for a song as I was moving abroad.

The drivetrain and motor parts can be easily sourced now, and very reasonably with the internet and e bay.
Also within these forums you may find someone who is parting one out or selling similar parts from other period models cheap.
There was A LOT of cross pollination at Jaguar.

The motor shares many parts with all the XK engines up to 1987 in the Series 3 XJ6.
You can find these in junk yards.
Also once you learn the interchangeability of parts between other models, and other modern replacements/upgrades, you can save a lot too.
They are easy to work on. A bit particular, but there is a lot of info available now.

I am restoring my S1 XJ6 on a shoestring, slowly accumulating parts. It is amazing what you can find on ebay etc these days. also these forums.
Latch onto one nice guy and that is all you need often times. Also amazing what can be found within barns, people parting things out.

Many things non drivetrain related are better to restore yourself. Learn. The expense otherwise is just too great these days, especially on these cars.
While I am a purist, I am not a fanatic believing things must please a Concours judge. Just be tasteful, replacing like for like as best you can..

I have seen e bay listings of huge swatches of nice leather scraps being sold for a song.
Wood is wood. Veneer can also be found on that auction site. CHEAP.
I restore instruments as well. Instrument veneer works. Classical guitars, etc. Keep this kind of resourcefulness always in mind. You will save a fortune restoring it.
Do it all yourself.
Seats? I'd find the leather myself as stated and depending what it is like by you, there are many Chinese and Korean seamstresses near me.
I intend to go around to them and show them, eventually find one who is most reasonable and I am confident with and save a fortune.
Dye them myself.

There is also Lseats(dot)com. They do not have your model but are perhaps worth contacting.

Other than the carbs which will need to be rebuilt, and flushing the gas tank, fuel pump, prime the cylinders with oil as described, etc.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if that car starts right up.

Use oxylic acid to flush the tanks ,,$10 on e bay shipped.
Rebuilding SU carbs is a fundamental you must learn. Not difficult. Rebuild kits are everywhere.

When you begin to learn about these cars, the history, and these motors I believe you will really become impressed by their pedigree, engineering, and how far ahead of their time they were.
These motors are jewels and a fundamental part of their character.
It will all get into your heart and remind you of your grandfather and help you understand why they got into his too.

Swap the engine and you will destroy its value too..unless you go full restomod, which I find such a distasteful thing, as do most serious connoisseurs and collectors.
It's a fad..and in the end you will spend FAR more than doing it as original anyway.

There is also concept of restoring my grandfather's hammer, "but I replaced the handle and the head:, but it's still my grandfather's hammer...(?)
I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.

There are far too many half *** botched old Jaguars out there already.
It is becoming increasingly rare to find well preserved antique cars these days. It really is becoming a preservation of history now.
I promise you will regret it. The more we learn the more our taste develops and becomes refined.

Lecture over and off my soapbox now.

As I am a bit of a nut, I performed some searches for Mk7 parts out of curiosity, came across some nice old manuals I intended to forward to you.
Intended to send PM, but you need more history before that option is available it seems.

I found a good deal on a very nice rebuilt original water pump on e bay for $109 with best offer option..(Do a search)
I'd get it if I were you. Make him an offer too?
It is something difficult to find and usually quite expensive. You certainly will need yours rebuilt.

Best wishes and be careful

Last edited by OhIDon'tKnow; 04-07-2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by OhIDon'tKnow
Hi again
You're welcome.

However, I strongly, strongly urge you to reconsider any V8 conversion.

These cars have become very rare and desirable, especially intact as yours apparently is.
Selling it as is on BaT would bring a solid premium I believe.

Of all the Jaguars I had, it is one I wish I kept. Never considered its rarity at the time.
Great running and driving..halfway through the wiring resto I sold it for a song as I was moving abroad.

The drivetrain and motor parts can be easily sourced now, and very reasonably with the internet and e bay.
Also within these forums you may find someone who is parting one out or selling similar parts from other period models cheap.
There was A LOT of cross pollination at Jaguar.

The motor shares many parts with all the XK engines up to 1987 in the Series 3 XJ6.
You can find these in junk yards.
Also once you learn the interchangeability of parts between other models, and other modern replacements/upgrades, you can save a lot too.
They are easy to work on. A bit particular, but there is a lot of info available now.

I am restoring my S1 XJ6 on a shoestring, slowly accumulating parts. It is amazing what you can find on ebay etc these days. also these forums.
Latch onto one nice guy and that is all you need often times. Also amazing what can be found within barns, people parting things out.

Many things non drivetrain related are better to restore yourself. Learn. The expense otherwise is just too great these days, especially on these cars.
While I am a purist, I am not a fanatic believing things must please a Concours judge. Just be tasteful, replacing like for like as best you can..

I have seen e bay listings of huge swatches of nice leather scraps being sold for a song.
Wood is wood. Veneer can also be found on that auction site. CHEAP.
I restore instruments as well. Instrument veneer works. Classical guitars, etc. Keep this kind of resourcefulness always in mind. You will save a fortune restoring it.
Do it all yourself.
Seats? I'd find the leather myself as stated and depending what it is like by you, there are many Chinese and Korean seamstresses near me.
I intend to go around to them and show them, eventually find one who is most reasonable and I am confident with and save a fortune.
Dye them myself.

There is also Lseats(dot)com. They do not have your model but are perhaps worth contacting.

Other than the carbs which will need to be rebuilt, and flushing the gas tank, fuel pump, prime the cylinders with oil as described, etc.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if that car starts right up.

Use oxylic acid to flush the tanks ,,$10 on e bay shipped.
Rebuilding SU carbs is a fundamental you must learn. Not difficult. Rebuild kits are everywhere.

When you begin to learn about these cars, the history, and these motors I believe you will really become impressed by their pedigree, engineering, and how far ahead of their time they were.
These motors are jewels and a fundamental part of their character.
It will all get into your heart and remind you of your grandfather and help you understand why they got into his too.

Swap the engine and you will destroy its value too..unless you go full restomod, which I find such a distasteful thing, as do most serious connoisseurs and collectors.
It's a fad..and in the end you will spend FAR more than doing it as original anyway.

There is also concept of restoring my grandfather's hammer, "but I replaced the handle and the head:, but it's still my grandfather's hammer...(?)
I wouldn't do it for that reason alone.

There are far too many half *** botched old Jaguars out there already.
It is becoming increasingly rare to find well preserved antique cars these days. It really is becoming a preservation of history now.
I promise you will regret it. The more we learn the more our taste develops and becomes refined.

Lecture over and off my soapbox now.

As I am a bit of a nut, I performed some searches for Mk7 parts out of curiosity, came across some nice old manuals I intended to forward to you.
Intended to send PM, but you need more history before that option is available it seems.

I found a good deal on a very nice rebuilt original water pump on e bay for $109 with best offer option..(Do a search)
I'd get it if I were you. Make him an offer too?
It is something difficult to find and usually quite expensive. You certainly will need yours rebuilt.

Best wishes and be careful
that is very true. I could always leave this one all jag and pick another type car that would need more work to do a swap on once this one is done. Working on getting my post count up so I can pm. Created a thread as well to work on that part