New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Michael Rogers, 1999 XJR, Gold on white, 100K miles, drives and looks near new.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Michael Rogers, 1999 XJR, Gold on white, 100K miles, drives and looks near new.

Howdy from Northern California, Sacramento area. I am new to the forum and to Jaguars, but my 99 XJR is perhaps the best all around car I have ever owned, and I love it. A lot!

I got here through having Fords most of my life, and several Lincolns, including a couple Mk V111 LSC black on black beauties. When they went away, I ended up with an LS V8, and I greatly enjoyed that car. Doing my research I became aware Ford had acquired and collaborated with Jaguar on that car (I believe it mirrored the S, different body and coachwork). I absolutely loved the AJ V8, thought it was a great engine, smooth and powerful, quiet and dependable, though a tad underpowered for a V8. The LS handled fantastic, and the suspension too was Jag influenced/designed. So, my Lincoln was half Jag.

I always thought the XJ series Jags were beautiful and powerful beasts, but priced beyond my means. I chanced upon an ad for an XJR in my area at what I thought was a ridiculous price, did the research and found these vehicles massively undervalued, yet adored by their owners. The XJR went away, but after a few weeks reappeared, and this time I contacted them to drive it. They were my sister's neighbors, and my sister spoke for their character, and the car (they saw drive by). Started to sound like fate to me, especially as I wanted the car.

It looks and drives like new, he had all the records, everything done, only the secondary tensioners left to do. We settled at $8300 for this nearly perfect, beautiful cat-beast, and while I realize I could have gotten a lower price on a newer car, I don't think it would have been better. Of course, I have that buyers glow about my new toy, but this car is in fantastic shape. I will post pictures soon to prove it!

I have only driven it a couple days, and not had a good chance to really know it yet, but put it in manual, get the RPMs up, and this cat can run and jump! Wow, what a tremendous vehicle. I am stoked to think I have a great experience getting to know it better, and better...

I do most of my own wrenching. I am 60 years old. My bro-in-law (same sister) has a big garage on his property with a indoor lift, a paint room, and so much more, including a fridge properly stocked.

I play rock music on the side, all the classic stuff, as a one-man-band.

I am married with two sons, one graduating from college in a month, the other half way.

I did not look at anyone else's to see what is typical here, so this is what you get.

I have learned a lot on this forum, and look forward to sharing the Jag experience with you all. I hope it does not end in tragedy, but I decided to take that risk. And as of now, I feel like I just made the most BRILLIANT!! automotive move of my life. I will never buy a new car again if I can help it.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Congratulations on your new (to you) XJR. I made the same decision a year ago when I purchased mine. It was 39K miles and $9500. I too think buying new is crazy, and the value in these older model XJR's is amazing. You made the right choice getting the R as the transmission is much better and the power, as I'm sure you know, is amazing.

I'm sure you will love yours as much as I do mine, in a couple of years when I am nearing 150K miles, I will be looking for a 2003, or I might go with a XKR, either way I will stay with the SC model for the power and better transmission.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

great intro michael, welcome to the group, you sound like you will fit right in with the jaguar enthusiasts here, we do take care of our cars!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to the forum Michael,

Great intro, it sounds like you have it made, a car you love and a BIL with a lift and cold beer in case of trouble.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Michael welcome aboard one of the friendliest sites around and what a great intro, full of info just the way it should be

Only thing missing is some pics of the beast!!!!

Great to have you here with us

There's some great guys / techs here and always plenty going on, great info and usually plenty of banter.

I've manually upgaded you to full forum access so jump right in and enjoy

Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 AM

Thanks, Guys!

I will take some pics very soon, with myself beside the proud Cat! I had been lurking for a while, and noted you have a great forum here, with good contributions from current members and with a lot of excellent history to boot. Good to be a part of it.

The BIL IS a blessing... a true garage makes all the difference, and he is a good guy with said fridge.

Best,
Mike

Old 03-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Smile

OK, let's see if I have this right...

The mug in the mirror is yours truly. No one else around to take my picture with THE CAT!

Name:  Mug.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20110308_141547.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20110308_141644.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  Interior_Driver.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20110308_141745.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  65.2 KB

Note the driver's seat looks good... I did some restoration on this (the only thing that needed it), of which I am fairly well pleased.

Name:  driversseat.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  78.0 KB

Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice, you will absolutely love it. It is truly a wonderful car.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Step one, master posting pictures to your post...check !!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM

Thanks guys.

This XJR came with the chrome grill surround and boot bar from the dealer, the original owner confirmed he bought it new this way, represented as a "Special Edition". Now, I have been edumacated to understand such a thing does not exist, and that this is merely a custom touch most likely done by the dealer, but I for one like the chrome look. As an older guy who came up in an era when more chrome meant fancier, it was always kind of odd to see auto makers paint their chrome over, and then charge more for it.

Chrome will make a comeback, along with thin ties (actually, ties of any sort), and hula hoops. Mark my word.