New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Mid Tennessee Jag Lover

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mid Tennessee Jag Lover

Hello Jag Lovers, I have a strange story to relate. I've been a lover of Jaguars since Edward Woodward did a handbrake turn into a curb during the opening credits of The Equalizer. At least that's how I remember it...

I'm an Art Teacher in Middle Tennessee and the wife and I have decided that since all our friends have kids and their weekends are always full, we need to find me a hobby. No kids equals a lot of free time. She's tired of me moping around the house on the weekends. So after much discussion, we agreed that I needed a project car. For the past several months I've been looking at a variety of makes and models. The wife loves Jags. I love Jags. We decided that if we're going to pay for insurance on a third vehicle, it should be something we both enjoy driving.

She refuses to learn how to drive a manual, so the 1975 Porsche 911 is out. That and the rust it had on it. Our budget is @ $3k.

After trying to buy four different XJ6's, I was about to give up. Then a co-worker mentioned to me that his wife's uncle drove a beautiful Jag before he died. I asked if her aunt still had the car and if she was willing to sell it. He called her.

Yes, she had it. After a few weeks of back and forth with his wife's 84 year old aunt, she finally has agreed to "interview" me to inherit her deceased husband's Jag. That will happen this weekend. Cross your fingers, I'm dealing with "Mrs. Daisy."

Here are the details:

1991 XJS, special ordered from Coventry. Had every option available at the time put on it--even two cupholders in the console. The car sits in a climate-controlled garage--with the car cover over it. 72 degrees all year round. The car has 51k miles on it and she has every service record AND the build sheet from Coventry. The car was never driven in the rain. The transmission starting getting wonky before he died, so instead of rebuilding it, he went ahead and had a new one installed. It has 800 miles on it. Then he passed away.

That's all the GOOD. Now the bad...

The car has not been started since he died six years ago. ARGH!

She hasn't even opened the doors on it.

So I will have to put it on the car hauler and have all the fluids drained, gas tank cleaned out, radiator flushed, hoses and gaskets changed, possibly the master brake cylinder replaced, all the injectors cleaned and the cylinders soaked and lubed.

Joy.

The car is in pristine condition and I'm not going to tell you what I'm going to pay for it--you'll cry.

I plan on doing some of this work myself and I reckon I'll head over to the XJS section and ask a few tech questions.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to the forum George,

Good to have you with us.

Once you are done in the tech section check out the regional area Southern MidWest - AR LA MS KY TN AL - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
You will find a lot of very knowledgeable guys in the XJS section to help you with the project.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

The following users liked this post:
pastagreyhound (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, Norri--I haven't actually been allowed to "visit" with the car yet. When I see it this weekend (hopefully) I'll sneak a picture of it. This has been a terribly frustrating experience because I've not actually spoken to her. My co-worker calls her every other day and related all the news to me.

But of course, she's a very old lady and thinks that I can just throw in a new battery and drive off with the car. It's going to take some convincing that this isn't going to happen.

Side story--there was also a showroom level 1967 Mustang Convertible parked next to the Jag until three months ago. Matching numbers, all the paperwork, blah blah blah.

When my co-worker asked about it, she said "oh I sold it three months ago just to get it out of the garage. I took $3,000 for it." The car is probably worth between $20k and $35k.

Facepalm.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum George,

That has to be the find of the century. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Hope it all works out OK this weekend.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

That's cool story...

Have never heard of an XJ-S with factory cup holders. Very interesting.

Post over at the XJ-S forum with lots of pics. Quite a few knowledgeable folks over there.

And be sure to download 'The Book' by Kirby Palm...

Cheers,

- Will

Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Welcome!

Welcome and good luck, George! Sounds like your wallet is gonna get quite a workout.
Steve

Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Great intro......pics???

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................