New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Mike 1998 XJ8 Executive Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mike 1998 XJ8 Executive Auto

Hi! I'm on my second Jag and have recently decided to spend the kids inheritance and renovate my pride and joy.

My first Jag was a 4.2 XJ6 Sovereign which served me well until I took early retirement and bought the XJ8. My daughter took to driving the XJ6 (as long as I filled the tank!) and before long it was laid-up waiting for me to accept that it was time to end its days!

Over the last decade, my Jag has been used by all my children at different times to cover emergencies but it is my beloved daughter who kept returning it with scrapes on the corners of the bumpers saying that the scrapes weren't there when she parked the car!

Now, with my children all settled with their own motors, I have opted for a full respray and wheel renovation coupled with a good coating of Waxoyl to help preserve it. Although it's now 15 years old, it only has 96K miles on the clock, having had a heart transplant at 56K when it suffered from the inherent power plant failure. Apart from the Reg plate, the car could still pass for new and my sons regularly remark on how good a shine she still has.

It has ran well since the engine replacement with only the odd niggle to keep me on my toes. Windscreen motor failed last year and wheel speed sensor this year but it has never let me down since the new engine was fitted. I must admit that my XJ8 gets used mainly for longer journeys while my trusty Delica gets used for most of my local running around. The Delica has been useful for helping my children moving house, while the is Jag better suited to the 120 mile emergency journey to care for our grandson who has suddenly taken ill or single-parent Dad has had to work away from home.

Yes, my fuel costs are above average for less mileage but when I sit in the Jag and start driving, I just don't want to stop and the cost of fuel is furthermost from my mind!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mike,

Excellent Intro - a few familiar notes there!

Follow this link XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X308 section for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You may also like to visit the UK Region section by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-68/ to find other members in this country.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 05-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - great intro!! This is a great place for info and support to keep those cats purring! Enjoy

Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mike,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Thanks for the entertaining story Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums Mike

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................