New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Mississippi Stump Jumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013 | 04:43 PM
|
Default Mississippi Stump Jumper

Hello to all from the deep, deep south.

....before I go begging for help with a problem, here's my Jag story...

I've always been more of a Ford guy, than a Jag guy...but that changed a few months ago. While at an outdoor auction that had more junk than anything else...old trucks, tractors, farm equipment...I ran across a 2004 Jag XJ8 sitting at the end of a row of clunkers. It was sitting very low due to what I now know were air lines burned in half. It was a bit weather worn, with very dull, discolored headlights, both fog lights broken, along with one of the tail lights. The back bumper had several bad gouges from 'Gorilla Joe's' towing company. Still, the body was in very good shape, and the interior was beautiful...almost spotless. The auctioneer said the catalytic converters were stopped up. The key was not in the car, so I did not even attempt to start it before getting caught up in the excitement of the auction. $2500 later, I was trailering the car home. As it turned out, yes, one catalytic converter was stopped up...which resulted in overheated and DESTRUCTION of the engine. When I finally started it, it sounded like a rod was going to come out the side at any moment.

Ok...this is turning into a novel. Long story short, I found an engine at a salvage yard with 44,000 miles on it. After about 5 or 6 weeks of part time, back yard mechanic work, I swapped out the engine....and oh, does this thing run fine. It's quick, fuel efficient, and is as smooth as silk. My previous car was a Crown Vic, and it sure didn't feel like this machine. I'm hooked.

Everything works in the car with the exception of the navigation system. The touch screen works well, (or did). The issue it was having was a message that it did not recognize the disk as a map disk. The disk does appear to be a genuine Jag disk, not some bootleg copy or anything. My real problem began about 2 nights ago when I decided to start fiddling with the buttons after reading some posts. The result is a problem it sounds like several people have had here....the screen has gone black and taken many functions down with it.

Does anyone know the latest on this? Where might I find a disk to 'reprogram' the nav system...or whatever you call it? It sounds like some people were able to download the needed information & burn their own repair disk. Help !

Looking forward to actively participate in the forum...very nice to be able to help each other out on this stuff. I will be happy to share all I learned in my engine swap.

Thanks

Randy B.

Last edited by Norri; 02-09-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: email removed
Old 02-09-2013 | 05:12 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Randy,

Great Intro. You're doing very well so far!

Follow this link XJ ( X350 & X358 ) XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X350 section for help, advice and information. If you're totally new to Jaguars, the 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You may also like to visit the US Southern MidWest Region section by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/southern-midwest-ar-la-ms-ky-tn-al-67/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 02-09-2013 | 05:28 PM

Welcome to the forum Randy,

Good to have you with us.
I deleted your email for your own security, if you have it in your profile it will be available to anyone who needs it.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

The following users liked this post:
ranbarn54 (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013 | 06:36 PM

welcome to the forums

ranbarn54 (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013 | 06:53 PM

welcome - great find on the jag

Old 02-09-2013 | 11:11 PM
|

Thanks very much, Graham. Looks like you have a fantastic site.

Old 02-09-2013 | 11:15 PM
|

Steve...thanks...and that is one slick-looking machine !

sklimii (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013 | 02:06 AM

I enjoyed your story. Especially the part about getting it running!

Old 02-10-2013 | 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hi there Randy & welcome aboard Jaguarforums ....... good to have you here with us

Congrats on one stunning ride, they're a gorgeous vehicle and fast too as I'm sure you;re findng out.
Thanks so much for a great intro full of info......

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

ranbarn54 (02-11-2013)