New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

My New S-type Lives At The Shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New S-type Lives At The Shop

Hello my name is Ian and I'm a new member. I bought a 2005 S-type 4.2 on March 6th of this year and the second day I had it, the "gear box fault light" came on and the transmission went into safe mode. I had a couple places check it out that same week, checking out sensors and so on. Then I found out it was most likely the transmission itself (which I was afraid of). Of course, Ennis Ford where I bought the vehicle from will not return my calls or email me back when I try to ask them about it. Plus they're over an hour away from me, and I don't have a car to get there (obviously) either. So after a week of having it (even though half of that time it was in other shops), I took it to Eagle Transmission to have them look at it and to tell me what needed to be replaced. While the manager was out test driving it, someone hit him and ran. The good part of it is that they told me they would fix the body damage (it was mostly just the rear passenger door, which they replaced) and they would do all the transmission work for me for free, they would just charge me for parts. So another week goes by and they finally get the body work done and decide to start on the transmission. $3,000 later and an entire transmission rebuild, I get my car back, by this time is it April 6th, exactly a month since I bought it. I get the car back and take it home to pack it because I'm about to head from Dallas to San Antonio to see family for Easter. I open the door that they replaced and it's still a little tougher to open than the others and the door jam paint looks awful. I decided I would deal with it wen I got back so I pack the car, fill it up with gas, and take it out and the highway and what do you know, the "gear box fault" light comes on and the transmission goes into safe mode. I call the transmission shop and they thought I was joking with them at first. I turned around and went right back to them. They took it again and said they would figure it out. They eventually took it to Jaguar last Saturday (the 14th) because they couldn't find the problem, and Jaguar flashed the ECU or something for the transmission and said they updated some software that was making the transmission burn up. So today I call the transmission shop to get an update, and they tell me after they got it back from Jaguar the "gear box fault" light came on again. They called Jaguar and Jaguar told them that since it was rebuilt and driven before the new software was added, that it had already burned up the new transmission. So, they are currently rebuilding the transmission again.

Sorry for the long story, but this car has been a nightmare. I am a full time college student and have had to catch rides with friends to and from school and work the last month. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is this ever going to be fixed?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there, welcome to Jaguarforums, good to have you here with us
If you add your car details to your signature it will help others to help you much more quickly.

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun
In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features.
so jump on in and enjoy
Hope you enjoy your time here!!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,612 Likes on 8,693 Posts

Welcome Ian, wow...what an experience you've already had. You should go to the S-Type section and let some of the very experienced techs there know about your problem.
Sorry to learn about all of this and I/we hope it doesn't sour you on these fine cars.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome Ian,

+1 to Jayt2's advice on where to look on the forum.

Definitely a nightmare and not a good introduction to Jaguar ownership. Hope that's every bit of bad luck with you get with this vehicle out of the way in one go.

Graham

Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
At least the shop are standing by you with this.
Good advice above, if you were close to Decatur, it might have been worth checking with one of our members that has a shop there but it sounds like you arein the middle of the second fix now.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice and input. I just got the car back from the shop about an hour ago and they say it is fixed so we will see how things go...

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Keep us posted and good luck.