New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

My unfortunate new owner experience !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation My unfortunate new owner experience !!!

Hey guys,
I'm a new owner of a 2002 Jaguar X-type 3.0 with 160,XXX miles. Although I would love to say that I'm out daily burning rubber or however the saying goes, things are far from sunshine and daisies for me here in sunny San Diego. Now I'm not sure whether or not this should be in the new member section or the x-type section but feel free to direct me.

Anyway here goes nothing,
A few weeks ago I purchased this Jaguar for an awesome deal at only $1500. It had a check engine and a less than gentle idle with a slight acceleration hesitation. I drove it around the next couple and days and everything seemed decent but I did notice a slight brake jerking as well as an ABS light. Being new to California I had just recently learned about smogging and decided to hire a mechanic to see if he could fix the issue with the check engine light. My first step mistake was calling a "mobile mechanic" from Craigslist. After a brief phone convo I was advised that the car most likely needed a full tune up and agreed to work on the car, upon his arrival he reads the engine codes and stated that I had codes P1701 and P1704. Mr.Mobile Mechanic tells me he thinks I should start with the spark plugs and that'd he'd also do the brakes for me for just a couple hundred bucks which I THOUGHT was a good deal. Now, I'll admit Mr.MM seemed shady comes the following day to work on the brakes & goes home after what seems like a long, hard day of work and I end up giving him half to finish the next day.

LET'S KEEP IN MIND THAT THE CAR WAS RUNNING AND DRIVING.

He comes again and begins by removing the upper intake manifold of the car and by this point I had a funny gut feeling that he was less than professional due to the fact that even with my brief knowledge and research of my jaguar within the last few weeks (due to all my enthusiasm) I seemed to know more about the x-type than he did because at one point in time he tried to tell me that my brake booster hose was an EGR valve!!!? SMH. So, Mr.MM removed both of my IMT valves as well as my throttle body and spent approximately 30+ minutes spraying the inside of the throttle body with awesome degreaser (don't worry, it was completely off the car). He then proceeds to tell me that he needed me to run to the store so he can reseal the manifold, throttle body as well as the IMT valves. During this process he not only breaks the hose that goes from the air duct to the lower manifold (breather hose? - Will include picture) as well my brake booster hose. He tries to reassure me that he can fix these things easily and that I shouldn't worry.
DESPITE MY FEELINGS OF HESITATION AND REGRET ABOUT HIRING THIS MECHANIC I ALLOWED HIM TO FINISH THE JOB AS HALF MY MONEY WAS GONE AND HALF MY MANIFOLD WAS APART!
I figured it was too hard of a job to do myself and continued on a hope and prayer that he would fix everything. After everything he removes my coils and spark plugs and installs the new Bosch Iridium ones I had purchased. He gets to "connecting everything back together" and starts to install my intake manifold and doing a pretty decent job of getting blue gasket sealer everywhere in an attempt to seal the upper and lower manifold (old gaskets still in place) as well as the IMT valve & throttle body (attempts to seal ALL with gasket maker). After he finishes hooking everything together I start the car and it starts running with a TERRIBLE idle so I start freaking out and MR.MM tries to explain it by saying that he most likely just gapped the spark plugs incorrectly and I tell him that I'm leaving to run an errand with my family and that I'd be back later which he said was fine and that he would take care of it all before I got back and upon returning I find my tools spread around on the ground, car still up on jacks, garage door open, and the hood of the car. I attempt to start the car, it starts briefly, idles VIOLENTLY and immediately proceeds to shut back off. I try again and it starts and runs with a SLIGHTLY less idle but still very much more than I had before I hired him. When I pressed the gas petal the engine would rev slightly and then sputter. I immediately try to contact him with no such luck of course. I'm guessing this SOB skipped town so I begin trying to self-diagnose the issue.
*Side note: Oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter had all been changed by me the day I purchased the car.
The first thing I did was purchase a new gasket for the upper intake manifold (Plenum), next I tried to search for any vacuum leaks upon inspecting I noticed that MM had tried to fix breather tube with tubing from the auto parts store and just connecting the parts that were broken and the seal seemed to be ok so I left it, same for the brake booster hose, but I was wondering about the importance of the valve looking piece that WAS in the middle prior to him breaking it. Both hoses seemed to be in functioning order as far as holding a vacuum seal goes. The BBH was still in tact at the elbow where it meets the manifold and the check valve where it meets the booster. Both hoses were missing the metal pieces where it connected the tubing. I removed the upper manifold and installed yet again new pre-gapped spark plugs in case he had tampered with the ones I had purchased previously. I replaced the old intake gasket and bolted down the manifold with the battery disconnected throughout the entire process. I have checked for vacuum leaks and have found none. when trying to start the car it will start and immediately cut back off. I plugged in my bluetooth scanner and got codes p0352 B; P0354D; p0356 F; P1368; C1145 (had when car was still running). I know there are no problems with the spark plugs and I have switched the coils on row 1 with all coils on row 2, disconnected the negative battery charge, and read reading the codes I'm still getting the same cylinder codes which makes me believe the coils are not at fault. Not sure what would be causing row 2 to not fire esp. since the car was running before manifold was removed. I've cleaned my mass air flow sensor as well.
Any ideas on what could be causing the P1368 code? Could I need to proper brake booster hose and one for throttle body? I'm out of ideas! Sorry for the long post just wanted to include any background info.

TIA!

Old 03-22-2016, 01:19 AM
Received 10,507 Likes on 6,939 Posts

Welcome.

Fair dinkum, what a clown.

Obviously in too deep situation here.

A repost in the X Type section woudl be my best suggestion.

I reckon you do know more about your Jag now then you did then, and he ever knew.

Those hoses worrry me, coz any "unmetered air" will reek havoc.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:53 AM
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,864 Posts

Welcome aboard....best of luck mate, as Grant said the X Type section I am certain will assist.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum CatsDaddy,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I've copied your post to X-Type forum for advice from members with the same model. Here's the direct link to it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rience-159869/

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/ to the main X-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Western Region forum by following this link US Western - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-22-2016, 06:26 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Received 6,323 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums CatsDaddy,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 4,302 Likes on 3,719 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,299 Likes on 5,422 Posts

I'm sorry to read of this Bad experience you had! Hopefully members of our X-type section can help you sort it all out and you have a properly running Jaguar again.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 03-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys thanks for all the fast responses and Graham special thanks for posting my thread in the correct section.. much appreciated.

Grant- yes I've been worrying about those stupid hoses too. I don't think they are leaking although I do have concern that they could be putting out a different amount of vacuum ? if that even makes sense. anyways, thanks again everyone.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<