New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.
View Poll Results: Did I make a good buy on this 2000 Jaguar S-Type?
Are you nuts? These are the worst!
12.50%
Heck yeah, you done good.
75.00%
Well, you could have done worse.
12.50%
If you see another like you found for that price, tell me!
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Nashville 2000 S-Tyoe 4.0 - 1st Jaguar Experiment in Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nashville 2000 S-Tyoe 4.0 - 1st Jaguar Experiment in Ownership

Hey now, very recent Jaguar owner here. I just bought a used one that has an impeccable service history, with every recommended service done at the dealer since birth, according to CarFax. It had a variety of little repairs here and there, like some window motors, reserve tank for coolant, and it had a blown head gasket repaired a couple of years ago, so I figure if the dealer basically rebuilt the top end of it, its probably going to be good for a while. I paid below KBB for it from some folks who could well afford to have not only kept it serviced, but who sold it because they bought a new one, have a three car garage and this one was a 4th car.

I only got it on October 7th and it had 127k miles on it (fairly low for its age, just below average really), but the first two months found me making two very long trips in it, so I actually put over 7,000 miles on it already. I've changed the oil twice, using synthetic plus Lucas synthetic oil treatment in place of a quart. It shifts beautifully, runs great, and it was a garage-kept, babied car, although the seats are showing wear (but no rips or tears).I also habitually run Lucas engine treatment fluid in each tank I fill up. Thus, the engine purrs like a big kitty and it shifts great.

I kind of gambled buying this S-Type 4.0, but since it was only $4,000.00, and it had such a good history, I went for it. The outside is in mint condition. Its been babied. I am really glad I got it. Its a great car, and so far I'm in love with it enough that I may well keep it for a very long time, even if it blows and engine or needs a transmission at some point, because let's face it, a used engine is about $2500.00 installed, and a transmission maybe $1500 or so from what my former Jaguar mechanic told me he could do one for, and that would put me $8000.00 total into it, worst case scenario. So even if I'm $8000 into a car that I love with a much newer engine and new transmission at that point, I'm still cheaper than buying another Jaguar in most cases.

Read lots of complaints about the model/year, but I figured it was about that way with almost any car I looked up on the Internets. I figured the ones that had problems complained the loudest, but they made so many of these things that the ratio of complaints online vs models shipped was not a deterrent. So after seeing the car, I made it mine. Its silver, cream-colored leather interior, came with the original cell phone and GPS system installed and I believe the guy I bought this from paid more for those two features than I did for the car.

I've always had great luck with Ford products. Always. I've got a '96 Bronco with 158k miles on it that still runs like a tank, and I've got a 2001 Ford Expedition with 145k miles on it, and neither ever gave me a lick of trouble, and I put almost all of those miles on both of those vehicles. Before that I owned a 2000 F-150, a 1999 Mustang convertible, a '97 Ford Taurus and a' 98 Ford T-bird. As you can see, I like my Fords because every one was trouble-free, and being that this S-Type was Ford-owned at the time, I'm hoping my luck carries over.

I added a DVD player system in the dash for my entertainment and kept the old GPS in it. If anyone knows much about these GPS units, I'm all ears. I've no idea where it gets its data from, I assume it a CD somewhere, but I don't know where, and there is no sound to it that I know of. I've got a couple of disks for it, and all of the original paperwork, leather binder, etc.

I had one little issue that scared me the day I bought it. Check engine light came on. However, after some research I sorted out that it was a B.S. code warning. If it were a real warning, the engine would have been blown, and it obviously was not blown. I found the wires for the sensors, spread them out a bit near the connector, re-connected it to be sure it was a good connection, and used my code reader to reset it. Have not seen it come on since then.

I'm going to get it in for a 130,000 mile service this next week while its still running great. I have some questions for ya'll if you'll indulge me:

1. Who to do the Service? - Continue with the dealer, or go with my former Jag repair guy who might be cheaper?

2. What is in the Recommend Service? Is it just checking fluid levels, checking the belt and changing the transmission fluid out?

3. Has anyone ever had their leather seats re-upholstered and if so, what did it set you back?

4. Any suggestions for the GPS screen? Anyone know if I can plug something else into that screen and just use the GPS from my in-dash DVD player system? I'm seriously thinking about sticking a Mac Mini in the glovebox for fun and using one of bluetooth mice and keyboards, those little thin Mac ones, that could stick in the back seat pocket just fine.

5. Any particular things I should look out for, be aware of, issues with this model that I should know?

Thanks much. I think I'm going to be hooked on jags now. I'm already looking for an old XJ style with a Chevy mod small v8 in it that I can muck about with. Thanks for anything ya'll can add to this for me. Nice to meet ya'll.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Well welcome to the forums Nashjag!!!! Looks like you made a wise purchase. From reading it apperas that you are a regular car guy, just keep up on the regular maintance and cross your fingers. As far as your questions, you should post them in the S Section, more guys read that than the
"new member" section.
1) If you can find a reputable mechcanic I would go that route, for obvious reasons.
2) Did your feline come with an owners manual? All service is indicated in there.
3) If the seats have no cracks, shrinkage etc... you can try Connollys leather cleaner and hide food available from ken@motorcarsltd.com. Check out this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26363 Ken advertises here and also has answers for some of your questions.
4) I can't help you altough I believe there was some discussion recently in the S Section.
5) Again I can' really help. We have the 3 litre.

Enjoy your vehicle and don't forget to post some pics!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I like your poll
Anyway whatever you do I hope you would be pleased

Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome, may all your problems continue to be small ones.
Enjoy your car.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Welcome Nashjag, I was going to say you're nuts, but after you posted the purchase price, I reconsidered my vote. I can't help you much on your stype maintenance, but I did do a little custom monitor work on my xk8, new nav system and such. I have no idea if the system is an alpine or denso on yours. Alpines are extinct, but denso updates are still being made, check with www.navteq.com for any available updates. If its not there, it doesn't exist. For info on my install, look in the audio/visual section for my threads I started, there isn't many.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm a 'regular" car guy for the most part, but I've owned a few odd collector kind of cars, mostly in the Volkswagon family, but nothing as complicated as this machine.

The seats have the tell-tale black crack lines, so I think I have to re-cover them, but it sure will look nice when its done.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Welcome Nashjag, I was going to say you're nuts, but after you posted the purchase price, I reconsidered my vote. I can't help you much on your stype maintenance, but I did do a little custom monitor work on my xk8, new nav system and such. I have no idea if the system is an alpine or denso on yours. Alpines are extinct, but denso updates are still being made, check with www.navteq.com for any available updates. If its not there, it doesn't exist. For info on my install, look in the audio/visual section for my threads I started, there isn't many.
Thanks for the tip. If I could find something that would fit the space just right, I'd swap it out with something more modern in the way of a GPS.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Jump over to the S Type area. Lots of users there willing to help out. Welcome to the forums!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Nashjag, I just put a few links for a Kenwood unit that 'hacks' into the existing screen, and operates a whole new audio/video/Nav system via a remote control...unless you want to replace the OEM monitor with a touchscreen...which can be done, just don't know the size. Anyway, check out crutchfield for the CarPortal system and you'll see what I mean. Parts you're looking at near a $1000, plus there's the install part.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to forums and great purchase

Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Nashjag

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the kitty.