New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

nearly fresh member upgrading from germany

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nearly fresh member upgrading from germany

Having just now seen the email from Jim for upgrading i decided spontaneously to do so - so far i did find what i was looking for in this and other forums on the web, but i am interested in getting deeper into some areas maybe in the future...

After starting my "technical career" doing self-maintenance on my motorcycle starting at the age of 15 including engine (2-stroke) disassembly and successfull reassembly :-) my four-wheel career started in the age of 18 buying an old Mercedes Benz Coupe (/8 '69) with a broken engine, replacing this on a wrecking yard myself with the help of just a nice printed manual (no internet that time with great forums like this one...). That car served me for quite some years very well but then sadly it was not maintainable any more because of rust.

Having owned afterwards quite a zoo of different cars and brands, i fell in love with the XJ6 series III. Not being able to afford a good one that time i bought from a film crew two cars - one they wrecked in a stunt, but the engine was still intact, the other one being very nice from outside (a dark green '86 Daimler 4.2) but having a broken engine.

I underestimated that project heavily, not even having a manual that time, ending up finally in a mess - so many screws and cables and not well documented by myself where it came from and where it needs to go. A fellow-student saved my life by knowing a hardcore independent mechanic who accepted the task to finish my project - and he did it well.

I liked that car so much, but again rust was forcing me to move on. Next was a black XJ40 '92 which i drove for more than 14 years nearly 200.000km without any major repair - just two times rear shocks (self-leveling version).

Some years ago i fulfilled my dream to own an XK8 - i ended up with a car from California, triple black XK8-100 '96, one of the first 1000s being produced. I adapted some things to be able to put it here on the streets in germany - so i upgraded it to the original HID lights using a third-party self leveling kit, since the car did not have the option to adjust the lights at all (not mandatory in the US probably, but here it is). It was quite hard to exchange the leveling mechanism in the original hid lamps by parts of the third-party kit (this has an ultrasonic sensor i put behing the rear axle measuring the height of the car all the time and changing the lights accordingly) but finally it worked and was accepted by our so called "TÜV" where you have to go all two years for checking the car.

This time, rust will not get any chance - being 100% rust free it is sitting in my garage and never has seen a drip of rain since it is here... Which on the other hand means not so many "safe" opportuinities to get it out for a ride...

Currently i am preparing to exchange chain tensioners - i have the fear it still runs on the first (plastics) version, the service history is not fully clear. No acoustic indication of something but i decided to not take a risk. I already got the special toolset i need, but not decided yet if i should dare myself or hand it over to my "indie"...

The following users liked this post:
GGG (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum monsterkatz,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Great Intro - an interesting read.

You have probably already found your way to the tech section but if not, follow this link XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Europe Region forum by following this link Europe - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!!!

Old 10-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Great intro, thanks for sharing....

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums monsterkatz,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-22-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum