New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Need help asap with 04 xj8 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 04:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help asap with 04 xj8 not starting

HELLO EVERYBODY, I NEED HELP REALLY BAD WITH 04 XJ8 NOT STARTING

2004 XJ8 with now 122,000 (I bought it with about 120,000)

I bought the car about 6 or 7 months ago from a dealer online sight unseen. He assured me that the car was free of any major defects. But from Day 1 after receiving the car which was shipped to me, I noticed problems with acceleration. Every time I stepped on the gas and tried to accelerate, the car hesitated and shook or rattled a little bit as if the engine wanted to shut off. The car was not overall very responsive when you stepped on the gas to accelerate. Also almost immediately I noticed the car did not always start right away, you had to try several times before starting it. And a "restricted performance" message was also showing on the dashboard since Day 1. So I took it to my mechanic, he charged me and ran a bunch of tests on the car using his computer to determine what was wrong with it, why it was having all these issues and showing a "restricted performance" message on the dashboard. In the end my mechanic told me a lot of stuff and gave me all the computer readings and printouts he got from the tests. Then he recommended a full tune up which we did with top of the line Bosch iridium plugs.

After the tune up, the problem with trying several times before starting the car went away, and it would start the first time each and every day. The "restricted performance" message on the dashboard went away for a few hours and then came back and has been there. The car acceleration problem and unresponsiveness was still there and it was scary because it did that sometimes on the freeway and I was afraid of being rear-ended.

Then a few days ago, I went to CVS, on my way back out of the blue it took hell and many long minutes of trying and turning the key before I could start this car. After CVS I went to Walmart and it did the same thing before I could leave Walmart. After Walmart I stopped for gas and I was stranded at the gas station for hours as I could not this time get this car started. Other drivers nearby were nice enough to offer their help and we tried everything including a jump start connecting my battery to that of a Ford Escape ... to no avail.

Eventually we pushed the car away from the gas pump and I had to leave it in the parking lot of the station overnight. The following afternoon I came back, tried and it started after several tries. I took it home. It was the weekend, on Monday I tried to start it to take it to my mechanic, it would NOT start. I tried so hard and so many times that I could feel it draining the battery and I had to stop afraid it could damage the starter, completely drain the battery or worse. Since the first time at CVS, when you turn the key, you can hear it crank as if it wanted to start but it wouldn't actually start .... but it would continue to crank as you turn the key and you can hear it clearly. All lights seem to work but I didn't check battery power or amperage, and I have no idea how old the battery is because it came with the car when I bought it 6 months ago.

Other folks who came to help me at the gas station, myself and my mechanic all thought it was the fuel pump. I ordered one but before replacing the fuel pump my mechanic decided to hook the car up to his computer again and get some diagnostic readings. Then he told me that his computer advised against replacing the fuel pump but could NOT identify the problem as to why the car is not starting.

Question: How reliable is an ordinary mechanic's computer reading when hooked up to a Jaguar for diagnostic???

My mechanic thinks I should take the car up to a Jag dealer for proper diagnostic and the nearest one is at least an hour and half away, which will cost me an arm and a leg in towing fees alone before even speaking of the high dealer's costs. I still personally believe the fuel pump is the problem. My mechanic doesn't want to replace the fuel pump because his computer told him not to and he believes I will be wasting the money I paid for the fuel pump plus the labor cost I will be paying him.

Anybody knows anything about this problem? Have you experienced this before? What's your take or assessment? Please HELP ME and I thank you kindly in advance.

P.S: Before the car stopped working, it was somehow rattling while driving and I was told to replace the rear passenger side tie rod--inner and outer (I think it is also called toe link or stabilizer bar). I had ordered the part and it is due to be replaced. Thank you again in advance for any help or suggestions.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Papis,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Sorry to hear about your X350 non starting issue but DO NOT MAKE MULTIPLE POSTS ACROSS FORUMS AGAIN. I've deleted identical copies from both
General Tech Help and Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center forums.

I can see you've already found your way to the X350 forum with the same post so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Mid Atlantic Region forum by following this link US Mid Atlantic - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-23-2016, 04:44 AM
Received 10,477 Likes on 6,918 Posts

Welcome.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:48 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,205 Likes on 5,386 Posts

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 11-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Papis,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-23-2016, 01:55 PM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:08 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum