New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New 1997 XK8 Owner in S. Oxfordshire

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012 | 03:30 PM
|
Default New 1997 XK8 Owner in S. Oxfordshire

Hi All,
Recently bought an XK8 Coupe in Antigua Blue, with 117k miles on clock.

Looks very clean, some surface rust on rear arches, and normal wear on leather, but otherwise a great car.

Bought off eBay but only after much research and a visit to (dare I use the 'V' word here?) Volvo dealer who was selling it. He listed it with a fault list as long as your arm and a warning of a major gearbox fault which could cost £4000+ at a Jaguar dealer to fix. He also mentioned it "only has 7mm of tread left on the tyres"...Hmmm!

Thanks to this site and XKEC, I found all the required repairs easy to undertake and the used gearbox selector switch was £40 also from eBay.

This is the biggest bargain I have ever bought, and it brings a smile to my face every morning I get in it.

I have just done a gearbox service thanks to Dave Roche and his enterprise in creating parts kits jaguar don't do. I also plan to replace all my (currently original) timing chain parts...when I have saved the pennies to buy the bits.

I have some niggles left like a passenger side rear mirror that only works 3 ways, and a passenger seat system that only clicks, but doesn't move, a non-illuminating (but working) radio, and a parking sensor kit to install.

I can also tell you a new headlight lens is £145 from Jaguar, but there are only 2 left in the UK currently...that is why I want the parking sensors - I clipped a post in a car park and found there is actually 'no car' just ahead of the shiny corner of the headlights, so they become sacrificial (and they go with a bang!) if you get too close to another stationary object.

I had the ultimate accolade last week; an Italian driving a new Alfa stopped me as I filled up with petrol and with a beaming smile proclaimed I had a beautiful car - now that never happened with my 7 seat MPV

Great forum, keep sharing the info.

Drive safely
Paul
1997 XK8 Coupe, 117k, LPG no cruise...yet!

Old 08-14-2012 | 04:46 PM

Welcome to the forum Paul,

Good to have you with us.
Nice intro, it sounds like the Volvo dealer was too honest for his qwn good.
I assume you have found your way to the XK8/R section don't forget to take a look in the uk regional section also UK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 08-14-2012 | 05:03 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Paul,

Great Intro and some deal you got there.

Good advice from Norri. Follow his links for help and advice. Don't leave those tensioners too long!

Graham

Old 08-14-2012 | 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Paul, welcome aboard, good to have you here with us
Thanks for the nice intro, good story on the purchase too
The only thing missing?

Please post up pics when you can and show her off some when you can. The following links will help......
How to: Post pictures
How To Add Pictures In Your Messages

Also, why not drop in and visit the regional section for your area?
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

There's a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun here.....

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................