New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New 2000 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 2000 XK8

I've always had performance cars my whole life, my first car was an 84' RX7, sort of like an XK8, rear wheel drive, only 2 seats, lighter weight, a rotary engine...it went like a bat out of hell on the back roads, faster than my experience so far with the Jag. My last car was a 95' Buick Roadmaster ( think the better knwon Impala SS ), with a Corvette Engine.....Complete opposit of the RX7....BIG, HEAVY, Luxo Mobile, with when worked on with the below....oodles and oodles of HP & Torque, I put all new Bilsteins and Hotchkiss Lowering Springs and Cop Tires on it...but I'd never brag it handled like a sports car....but with the below work, I could lay a strip in a cloud of smoke and give a solid chirp in 2nd gear, and a slight one when it hit 3rd.....I'm not in any way a mechanically gifted guy, but I watch a lot of YouTube videos, and read the forums to learn what I can, and can't do without special tools...Other wise I bring it to the shop. Tools like expensive shock and spring compression tools don't pay off to buy on your own.

I never thought I'd own a Jag, I had the RX-7 as a twenty something year old, the Roadmaster when the wife said " you need to get something you can put babby seets in...how about a MiniVan...I kringed and said there's gotta be a better solution" and now the Jag, that the teens can either find their own ride, or ride one at a time.

However, upon getting a really good deal on an XK-8, and the past work ups I've done, I'm a little dissapointed to read that there really doesn't seem like there is much you can do with these cars to " soup " them up a little. I've done quite a bit of researh on the Jag Forum. And seen posts saying - Whell you can clean the MAF - Manifold, new Synthetics, new O2s get the lattest ECM Flash from Jaguar...Spend a couple of grand on getting a new exhaust put in for a few more HP....One forum member said unless you want to swap the engine out or do many thousands of dollars of $$$ of custom majour work like velocity stacks....that there isn't much you can do ??????? WTF !!!

What about things like I did to my Impala like lower temp thermostat, 3.73 gears, new Posi, ECM flash ( not a customized $ 1k flash..std ) 3.5" 3500 RPM torque converter, overgapping the spark plugs, headers of some kind that are worth the investment....None of these things would really make that much difference alone, but added up, turned my "boat" into a tiresmoker with pretty dammed good back road handling...For you guys that have had these cars for years...If you had to do it " all over again " with a budget of 2-3K...what would you do ? Don't go tell me to buy an XKR, I've got my XK8 and I like it, and don't have the extra 10K for one anyway...I'm not cheap, but want results worth a reasonable investment...Advice Please

The following users liked this post:
GGG (10-10-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

You had an RX7?? I have Lusted after one of those since Forever!! I am so Envious! I would have added it to the fleet which I've driven the wheels off of! HOOWEE!

I fear no matter what you do to your Jaguar it will Never stack up to your past rides. They were built to a completely different end purposes for entirely different markets.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the welcome...Re they were built for completely different end purposese for diffferent end markets, comment...That's the whole point of joining a forum, taking a base car, with potential, spending time and money and love, and making it what YOU want, the RoadMaster was basically a Cop Car / Impala with leather seats...However- shorter gears, higher speed Torque Converter, headers, flash the ECU, a POSI rear end, cold air intake and a couple of other tricks...made this into " My Car " kick the rear end out whenever I wanted, gobble the highway up when I wanted to punch it...Loads of Fun...The one mistake I made though...spent more money than I should have maybe customizing it, then one day got rear-ended...The other jerks insurance company would only give me book price...don't want to make that mistake again...We sink money into our car as " good investments " for our grin factor, baby them, sink love into them, wax them...talk to them..dream of them...if the " other guy " hits you, and totals your car...sorry sucker, you ain't getting any of it back...book value - thats it...3 years of dreams and busted knuckles and credit card charges down the drain...don't go over board..I keep telling myself this...but seem to get sucked down that path anyway.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (10-09-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 02:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum XK8CAT,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums and thanks for the great Intro.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA North East Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/usa-north-east-me-nh-vt-ma-ri-ct-nj-ny-pa-35/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-10-2015, 04:31 AM
Received 10,469 Likes on 6,914 Posts

Welcome.

There will be a way to do what you want.

Back in the day, "upping" the V12 was deemed to be limited, but with a bit of this, and some of that, mine always seemed to have a slight edge. NOT a barn stormer by any means, I agree with Elinor, but just that "edge".

The electronics driving the modern internal cumbustion engine are limiting what we motals can do, in MY opinion.

Now the mighty V6 S Type is just fine for me/us as Jaguar made it, my how times change.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:46 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums XK8CAT,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-10-2015, 05:11 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum- enjoy!!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum