New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New 87 XJ6 VDP Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 07:52 PM
|
Default New 87 XJ6 VDP Owner

At least tomorrow night I will be! She's loaded on a flat bed headed my way. The good kind of flat bed that brings you new toys, not the kind that takes your toy away for service!

She looks to be a beautiful one owner XJ6 with only 62k miles. I can't wait to meet her. I'll post up pictures as soon as I get her all cleaned up.

I'm pretty used to working on my Land Rovers and where to find parts and the tech help I need for them. Do you guys have any web sites, forum, new and used parts vendor recomendations?

For a new Jaguar owner that plans on turning a "spanner" or to are there any recommended purchases?

Lastly I'm in southern Middle Tennessee. Pulaski to be more specific. I'm about 1/2 way between Nashville, TN and Huntsville, AL. I know eventually I'll need professional help with something so if anyone has had good luck with a private Jaguar shop please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff Hibdon

Old 07-21-2010 | 09:14 PM

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, welcome to the dual sickness. Sorry to see another land rover brother fall into the trap.

They are great driving cars though. The inline 6 in these is a pleasure to deal with in comparison to the Land Rover V8. Also they are smooth as silk, my wife can hardly tell when the jag is running.

If you have a tool box that can handle the RRC than your good on tools, just buy more beer than usual.

Old 07-21-2010 | 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Great choice. The Ser IIIs are fantastic cars. Built like tanks and drive like velvet. I describe them as "the most modern of all antique automobiles". :-)

Parts support is very good for these cars and mostly very reasonably priced...mechanical stuff, at least. Trim stuff can get costly. Anyhow, Motorcars Ltd, Coventry West, Welsh Jaguar....all good vendors and there are others as well. Just watch for brand-x parts, that's all. Some of the stuff from third world countries isn't so great. You might be familiar with that from your Land Rover experience.

You'll find the car to be DIY friendly for most repairs. Yeah, there are some quirks and a couple repairs areas that are labor intensive...but we can fill you in as go along.

Post again after you've given her a good inspection and shakedown cruise.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-21-2010 | 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Kalahari enjoy the site

Old 07-21-2010 | 09:55 PM
|

ArmyRover...just left a message for you on DWeb asking if you were on here! I wonder if Will Tillery sells Jag parts.

Old 07-22-2010 | 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome
Thanks for your concern on our vendors .
Jpam, Nalley Jaguar PArts ,Nameless our vendors . You can also contact Motorcars Ltd as a good as www.jagbits.com

Enjoy your stay

Old 07-22-2010 | 05:45 AM
|

Thanks Cadillac!

I found Jagbits last night. From the undercarriage video the dealer sent I know one of the rock screens on the bellhousing is missing so I'll be placing an order as soon as I have a chance to look her over.

Old 07-22-2010 | 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forums Kalahari, you will find great help around here, and oddly quite a few of us have been known to get down and dirty with LR. (but of course we don't talk about that;-)

Old 07-22-2010 | 12:45 PM

Congrats, but lets see some pics. We have an 87 XJ6. Enjoy

Old 07-22-2010 | 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kalahari
ArmyRover...just left a message for you on DWeb asking if you were on here! I wonder if Will Tillery sells Jag parts.
Ufortunately I have yet to find the Will, Paul, or Marty of the Jaguar world. I have one I like to deal with but I haven't heard back from him in awhile.

For parts I find a bit on ebay, and ebay.co.uk with the exchange rate some parts are cheaper ordered from across the pond. Found that to be true right now with RRC parts on occasion to.

As soon as the wife gets back from shopping I'm going to pull the XJ6 headliner and replace it. Fun Fun fun

Old 07-22-2010 | 01:41 PM
|

Maybe we should rent a crate coming across the pond and fill it with RRC and Jag bits! Sounds like I'll need to do what I do with my RRC stuff. Constantly watch Ebay, and the forum for sale adds for parts I might need. Even picking up things I might need if the price is right. I have an ever evolving "want" list of stuff it seems like.

I haven't heard from the delivery driver so hopefully the plan is still to unload her at 5 tonight. I can't wait!

Old 07-22-2010 | 03:50 PM

My want list is shrinking for the RRC, while I was deployed I treated myself to parts I've been wanting. Figured while I was in a war zone I was safe from the wifey. That plan actually worked.

Post pics up when it gets there. I've got my headliner pulled and cleaned up now its time to start laying out the new material. Who would have thought I would have to pull the damn seat belt assembly and tracks to remove a headliner...

Old 07-22-2010 | 10:52 PM
|

Not quite as cherry as I had hoped, but she is going to make a beautiful ride. No regrets, I'm in love with her.

Need list....
Driver's side AC blower is dead : The AC blows cold but is just not putting out enough air. I double checked to see if the intake on the blower was open, which it was, but the motor was not turning. So used or rebuilt?

Feels like front rotors need replacing. There is a vibe when braking.
They also feel soft sometimes but remain firm if you press them a
2nd time. I'm wondering if it could just be warped rotors or is the
Master Cylinder suspect as well. Any recommendations on pads and
rotors? Also need to double check the fluid level to be sure

New Shocks also might not be out of the question as well. Suggestions?

Antenna : The motor turns, but the antenna is bent. Can I just get a
replacement antenna?

Window Switch : I'll pull it and clean the contacts but I'm sure I'll
eventually need a few. It's the rear passenger window, but the
window works fine with the rear switch.

One of the bellhousing rock screens is missing

Another oddity was the cruise control. There was no fuse so I installed the spare. When I turned on the CC the speed kept increasing till I turned it off. I'll have to do a search for that one.

I'll try and get pics this weekend.

Last edited by Kalahari; 07-22-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2010 | 03:50 AM
Veteran Member

Hi, just a quick reminder, for 'Tech' type postings you really need to go over to the XJ6 section.

Nudge, nudge.

Old 07-23-2010 | 05:10 AM
|

I've started searching for tech help on things like rotors/brakes. I haven't had any luck. Things like part recommendations and picture writeups etc. Have I just been looking in the wrong section?

Old 07-23-2010 | 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kalahari
Not quite as cherry as I had hoped, but she is going to make a beautiful ride. No regrets, I'm in love with her.

Need list....
Driver's side AC blower is dead : The AC blows cold but is just not putting out enough air. I double checked to see if the intake on the blower was open, which it was, but the motor was not turning. So used or rebuilt?

The failure rate on blower motors is low so a used one would be a pretty safe bet, IMHO

Feels like front rotors need replacing. There is a vibe when braking.
They also feel soft sometimes but remain firm if you press them a
2nd time. I'm wondering if it could just be warped rotors or is the
Master Cylinder suspect as well. Any recommendations on pads and
rotors? Also need to double check the fluid level to be sure

The master cylinder does sound suspect but you might have some sticky calipers that need a second push work. Actually, I'd start with a brake fluid flush and go from there. Easy job.

New master cylinders are only about $120 or so.

I've used Wagner, Lucas, NAPA, and Brembo rotors with good results.

New Shocks also might not be out of the question as well. Suggestions?

Most owners prefer the original Boge shocks.

Antenna : The motor turns, but the antenna is bent. Can I just get a
replacement antenna?

I dunno. Maybe one of the vendors will chime in here.

Window Switch : I'll pull it and clean the contacts but I'm sure I'll
eventually need a few. It's the rear passenger window, but the
window works fine with the rear switch.

I wouldn't buy any new ones until you've cleaned them all and see how they work. Generally they're good for another 10-20 years after being cleaned.

I dunno about Land Rovers but the mantra with old Jags is "remove-disassemble-clean-lubricate" before buying any new parts. Of course, I don't mean that 100% literally but the fact is a great many Jag problems are solved that way.

Another oddity was the cruise control. There was no fuse so I installed the spare. When I turned on the CC the speed kept increasing till I turned it off. I'll have to do a search for that one.

All you ever wanted to know about the c/c
http://www.jag-lovers.org/books/xj-s/16-Cruise.html

Cheers
DD

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:49 AM
|

Thanks for the response! Your right, contact cleaner and a little lube can will make a lot of non functioning items work again.

Also opening up my searches from threads to posts seems to have helped a lot.

Last edited by Kalahari; 07-23-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2010 | 05:17 PM
|

I got to drive the new Jag after lunch today. The brake light came on and the wife ran off with the Discovery. Checking the fluid the wires pulled out of the level sensor. The level was good and shorting the circuit turned the light of so I was on my way.

Goodies ordered today : key blanks, bellhousing screen, left and right AC blower motors, master cylinder, ms reservoir and ms reservoir cap and switch.

Whew!

Next week will be like Xmas!

Old 07-23-2010 | 05:18 PM
|

And a service manual Cd. Woohoo 10 posts!

Last edited by Kalahari; 07-23-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2010 | 07:29 AM

jagbits website is terrible they dont have pictures of any of the body panels and their descriptions don't really help me know if its the right piece i need guess i wont be buying from them...

Quick Reply: New 87 XJ6 VDP Owner