New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New '97 XJ6 owner in Memphis...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New '97 XJ6 owner in Memphis...

I've been browsing this forum for the last couple of days as a non-member, and it appears to be a great resource for Jaguar owners - so I'm now a member!

I just purchased a '97 XJ6 with 99,600 miles to use as my daily driver (replacing a '95 Miata with similar mileage). Although I've owned about 40 cars, this is my first Jaguar - but not my first British car. I had an MG Midget from '72 to '75, and I currently have a '78 MGB that I've owned for 11 years.

Although new to this forum, I'm not new to automotive forums. I've been a member of the MGExperience forum for 10 years and 12,000+ posts. Hopefully I'll eventually be of use here - but I suspect I'll be looking for advice here for quite a while instead of giving it!

My "new" XJ6 looks almost new both inside and out, and it runs and drives beautifully. It's hard to believe the car is 15 years old! It does have a few issues I'll be resolving...issues that appear to be somewhat common on these cars:

- Steering column reach motor runs, but doesn't move the wheel. From what I've read here it appears that replacing that cable is a royal pain - so I've got that to look forward to. At least this forum has already led me to a source for the part!

- Anti lock brake warning lamp is on all the time. I'm hoping it's something simple like the relay - but the brakes are fine as is, so it's not disabling.

- AC display shows "Er" at start up, blows hot for a short time, then works fine. I have the diagnostic checklist, and will go through that shortly.

- Exterior temp doesn't display...just shows "- -". I assume it's something like a bad sensor, but I haven't yet started to diagnose that.

- Luggage compartment lamps don't work. Bulbs are OK, so I'll be looking for damaged wiring at the hinge area next.

- Some of the front door panel clips are broken...from people pulling the doors closed from the bottom of the panel instead of from the door pull. The previous owner had already ordered them, and I'll pick them up tomorrow. Should be an easy fix.

- Driver's side fog lamp is out. Probably a bulb.

- The front side marker lamp on that side was out....no power getting to it. In order to get it through inspection today I ran a jumper wire from the marker lamp on the other side (didn't have time to troubleshoot). At least that "fix" verified that the earth on that lamp is OK...just no power on the red wire. That shouldn't be too hard to diagnose. Hmmm.....I wonder if that could be related to the nearby fog lamp being out....maybe sharing a common connector?

- Clock display is wonky. The clock works, but sections of the display is dead. Maybe I can find a replacement on Ebay....or the local pull-a-part...

- Interior automatic rear view mirror is permanently dimmed. Again, maybe an Ebay or pull-a-part item.

As far as I can tell, everything else works just fine! I believe the color is Titanium....it's a gray with a bluish tint. I don't know the name for the interior color....it's a kind of beige or taupe. Paint, upholstery and carpet are exceptional for a car this age. Even the driver's seat is almost perfect!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Joe,

Congratulations on the XJ6. Quite a 'to do' list but nothing drastic.

Looks like you've already found your way to the X300 forum so no need for a link.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User ID button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Please also visit the Southern Midwest US Region section Southern MidWest - AR LA MS KY TN AL - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum for other members and events in your region.

Enjoy the XJ6 and the forum.

Graham

Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 AM

Thanks! I just added the car info to my sign.....will add a photo later.

I'll definitely check out the regional forum. I probably should have mentioned that I'm also a member of the British Sports Car Club of Memphis....and I'm their webmaster...

Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Joe Reed
Thanks! I just added the car info to my sign.....will add a photo later.

I'll definitely check out the regional forum. I probably should have mentioned that I'm also a member of the British Sports Car Club of Memphis....and I'm their webmaster...
Joe,

With all that commitment, you must be retired. No time left for work!

Graham

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM

I wish! Actually I have 19 months left until I retire. That's one reason I decided to buy this car.....once I retire I won't be putting so many miles on a car, so the Jag should be with me for many, many years to come. In a way, it reminds me of the 1950 Packard my grandfather had when I was a kid

I don't think the "to do" list I have for this car is very long. The list I have for my MGB is worse than that!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM
GGG

I can believe it with the MGB. Had an MGB followed by an MGBGT many years ago. They used to dissolve in the UK after three or four years between the rain most of the year and the road salt in winter. And as for those twin batteries............!

Graham

Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Welcome to the forum Joe,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there Joe & welcome aboard, good to have you here with us
Nice intro and info about the car, sounds good, get some pics up when you can.

Whether you can contribute or not technically speaking, please jump on in and enjoy, the guys will welcome you to the clan I'm sure.

Any useful information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
Helpful_information

Why not drop in and visit the regional section for your area?
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

There's a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun here.....

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 08-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. This forum seems just as friendly and welcoming as the MG forum I frequent, so I already feel at home

Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Joe Reed,

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Cordova also. I'm sure we will be stuck in Germantown Pkwy together at some point.

I have an XKR, and I was looking into the local British Car Club, but it seems that your meetings are always on Monday night which is my racquetball night. Looks like you have a good group there.

-lux

Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Too bad Monday's don't work for you. Our annual car show is coming up on October 6th. All the info is on our website: www.memphisbritishcars.org