New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New 97 XJ6 Owner out of NC USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 97 XJ6 Owner out of NC USA

Hi Everyone,

Glad to be here. Recently purchased somewhat a fixer upper a few weeks ago. BRAND SPAKIN NEW(to me) X300. Excited to start researching it to get it running right.

Old 07-13-2024, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! My 17yo just got a 99 XJ8 L (more of a grandma car) that needs some work too. Glad to see it's a thing 😂

Old 07-14-2024, 12:35 AM
Received 10,494 Likes on 6,929 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

X300, the LAST of the Simple Jags, and DIY friendlier than the later stuff.

Good luck

Old 07-14-2024, 01:23 AM
Received 3,950 Likes on 2,856 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-14-2024, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,245 Likes on 5,402 Posts

Hello,
Congratulations on your First Jaguar!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 07-14-2024, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Abuthemagician
Congrats! My 17yo just got a 99 XJ8 L (more of a grandma car) that needs some work too. Glad to see it's a thing 😂
When I was a teen, if you showed up to high school in a four-door sedan, it meant only one thing..... your parents got a new car and you got mom's old grocery-getter. No self-respecting, young, single person would buy a four-door with their own money. But back then, just about every manufacturer made both four-door and two-door versions of everything. There were lots of choices. Even Jaguar briefly made two-dour XJ-C coupes (and it looked spectacular btw). But the four-doors usually outsold the two-doors (not always) so starting in the 90s, rather than make both body styles and go through the expensive process of crash-testing and certifying both for safety and emissions, manufacturers started to make only four-door sedan body styles and of course four-door SUVs. But except for only a handful of remaining sports and gt cars (defined as having no or a useless small-child-sized back seat), everything was four doors. If you wanted a sporty car with an occasional adult-sized back seat, they just programmed in a slightly more powerful tune, added stiffer suspension, deeper seat bolsters, some fake vents, a wing and a badge but it was now just a trim level of a four-door sedan. Your son now doesn't know the difference. His friends aren't going to taunt him for driving a four-door sedan because that's all they've ever known and they all likely have four-doors too.

Jaguar sedans only appealed to older folks because typically people under 50 couldn't afford a new one, not because of the styling. When I was a teen living just outside one of the swankiest neighborhoods in town, most of my cohort aspired to drive an XJ6 someday when we got to be the boss because that's what we saw the men in suits driving (or the most elegantly dressed older women). We didn't know anything about British Leyland or reliability, we just thought that if we had to have a four-door someday, the XJ6 had to be the one. So I wouldn't call your Xj6 a grandma-car. Its more of a grandpa-car or at least it's your cool, rich-grandma who spoils me car.

Last edited by pdupler; 07-14-2024 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Abuthemagician (07-24-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 11:20 AM
Received 6,313 Likes on 5,500 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums wagwan,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 07-14-2024, 11:30 AM
Received 4,285 Likes on 3,704 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 07-18-2024, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Abuthemagician
glad to see we're in the same boat. what kind of issues is he having?

Old 07-18-2024, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Welcome to the Forums.

X300, the LAST of the Simple Jags, and DIY friendlier than the later stuff.

Good luck
thank you

Old 07-18-2024, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Daf11e
Welcome aboard.
thank you

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by pdupler
When I was a teen, if you showed up to high school in a four-door sedan, it meant only one thing..... your parents got a new car and you got mom's old grocery-getter. No self-respecting, young, single person would buy a four-door with their own money. But back then, just about every manufacturer made both four-door and two-door versions of everything. There were lots of choices. Even Jaguar briefly made two-dour XJ-C coupes (and it looked spectacular btw). But the four-doors usually outsold the two-doors (not always) so starting in the 90s, rather than make both body styles and go through the expensive process of crash-testing and certifying both for safety and emissions, manufacturers started to make only four-door sedan body styles and of course four-door SUVs. But except for only a handful of remaining sports and gt cars (defined as having no or a useless small-child-sized back seat), everything was four doors. If you wanted a sporty car with an occasional adult-sized back seat, they just programmed in a slightly more powerful tune, added stiffer suspension, deeper seat bolsters, some fake vents, a wing and a badge but it was now just a trim level of a four-door sedan. Your son now doesn't know the difference. His friends aren't going to taunt him for driving a four-door sedan because that's all they've ever known and they all likely have four-doors too.

Jaguar sedans only appealed to older folks because typically people under 50 couldn't afford a new one, not because of the styling. When I was a teen living just outside one of the swankiest neighborhoods in town, most of my cohort aspired to drive an XJ6 someday when we got to be the boss because that's what we saw the men in suits driving (or the most elegantly dressed older women). We didn't know anything about British Leyland or reliability, we just thought that if we had to have a four-door someday, the XJ6 had to be the one. So I wouldn't call your Xj6 a grandma-car. Its more of a grandpa-car or at least it's your cool, rich-grandma who spoils me car.
Hi Phil,

Excellent background. The car itself is unique in more ways than one even for a European model. Oddly enough, I'll be picking up another(more recent 04 XJS) tomorrow.

Old 07-24-2024, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by wagwan
glad to see we're in the same boat. what kind of issues is he having?
Well it started making a sound like a bolt was bouncing inside the torque converter. I told him he should stop driving it and he didn't listen. Whatever it was grenaded and took chunks out of the block. Now I'm going to part it out to get my money back.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

i'm sorry about the scenario. how much for your coil packs, o2 sensors, temp sensors, and the list possibly continues at a later date?

Old Today, 06:30 AM
Default Happy to be a Jaguar owner

Hello everyone, I’m happy to have found a forum with a lot of knowledge about the Jaguars pre OBD2. I’m a Mercedes guy through and through. Ive worked and owned them since I first started working on classics with my father ( may he rest in peace). This week I was left a 1989 Jaguar Vanden Plas series 3 xj6. It’s been sitting in my dads garage for about 4 years. He stopped driving before he left this earth in his sky Mercedes. I wasn’t going to let it go. I changed all of the fluids, dropped the tank and cleaned it, and she started right up and made the drive to my house from tallahasee to Destin Florida. I’m 26 and don’t know much about fixing pre OBD2 cars, usually my dad would help, I know I have acces to whatever tools I need , I’m thankfully for this forum. I’ve already gotten some helpful tips just by searching within, she has radio and aircon now, I see I’ll be scrolling hours through this website !