New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Alabama 1996 xjr owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Alabama 1996 xjr owner

Hello all,
I'm a new owner but not new to cars or Jaguars. My dad has an xjs and xj6 but the later he bought wrecked and for parts. I am in general an automobile enthusiast and have several vehicles of my own mostly projects. Including 3 73 Datsun 240z's, a 66 mustang coupe, and a 82 Bronco. Now I have a 1996 Jaguar xjr to add.

Let the hate fly!

I'm in the process of restoring one of my z's and my motor started to make a noise and instead of fixing it I decided an engine swap was the answer. Seeing how the engine was an ohc inline six and my dad having the xj6 with an aluminium 4.0 dohc inline six I though what a marvelous swap it would make.

The XJR.

So I began researching these cars tying to find as much information as I could. This is where I found out about the supercharged version. 328hp and 377ftlbs of toque according to the wikipedias. Naturally being human or mostly human I had to have the biggest and best. This led me to my quest on finding an xjr.

The Search.

My search began with online auction places like copart and ebay where fate would have it there was a very nice appearing black 1997 xjr with "mechanical damage". After several missed attempts and an exorbitant amount of fees and cost from copart I moved my search to craigslist where I found a few, but costly and too nice to part out. I did find one in a junk yard but they wanted nearly $1500 for the engine and suspension. I eventually found the most expensive car ever a $900 Jaguar.

The great reveal.

I finally found a 1996 xjr on craigslist for $1200obo runs and drives. I gave them a call and inquired. He said it cranked up a couple a weeks again but it had been sitting and may need a jump. So i decided to take a chance I told the guy I would come up there and get it. 15hrs a way on a hope and a prayer.

I get there and am looking over the car and it looks decent for 20 year old car that has been passed around the neighborhood a few dozen times. It had over 221,000mi missing the ac and supercharger belts, the front springs were broke, 4 flat tires, and wouldn't start after a few attempts. But finally we did get it to start after I tightened up the battery cables. As promised it did run and drive and not much more.

News Flash.

I drive the car home with a few hiccups, several tanks of gas, and a few run ins with the police. It actually ran pretty well towards the end of the trip. If you count 0-60 in about 4 minutes good. But I did get as well as about 27mpg on the interstate.

What i've done so far.

The first thing I did was replace the belts and air filter. I just used a cheap 6 rib belt that I measured there in the parts store parking lot because they didn't sell the actual belt. I do recommend it in a a jam, but not as a permanent solution due to the fiber core. To my great relief there was no problems like i thought there would be.

I had them run the codes for the check engine light and they gave me a mountain of codes mostly in the way of missing issues. So i started with the spark plugs. Reading on this forum I used the recommended champion plugs.

The engine light came back on shortly after despite running better. So I had them reread the codes and it came back a faulty fuel injector on number 2. So i pulled all the injectors out and cleaned them. They all looked pretty decent so i got everything put back together and now it runs pretty rough and gas mileage has dramatically reduced. I went back and had the codes reset, and it continues to run poorly, but the light hasn't popped up so it has to be something I did maybe a vacuum line idk.

Caught up.

You guys are pretty much caught up on me and my cars life story so far. There are still somethings I want to fix on the car and I think i'm in the right place. So thank you for the database of information you have here.

To do list.

misses when you put it in reverse,
rough running,
intermittent radiator light,
cruise control,
air conditioning,
front springs,
and trunk light.

My goal.

My goal as of now is to fix everything so the engine swap will be painless as possible, but continue to drive it as if i'm going to keep it. I really like these jags so idk if I have the soul to part it, but i also want to up-fix the old z in which case I will need this forum twice as much. haha.

Attached Thumbnails New Alabama 1996 xjr owner-img_1691.jpg   New Alabama 1996 xjr owner-img_1692.jpg   New Alabama 1996 xjr owner-img_1693.jpg   New Alabama 1996 xjr owner-img_1694.jpg   New Alabama 1996 xjr owner-img_1695.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Norri (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 10,476 Likes on 6,918 Posts

Welcome.

Once that R is sorted, you will keep it as is, rust me.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

Congratulations on a deal well done!
And, congratulations on all your successful repairs. Doesn't that just encourage you to tackle the rest of it?

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 07-17-2017, 02:07 AM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:53 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:55 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums greg21,

Good to have you with us.
The guys in the tech section will help you iron out the problems https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by greg21
..... I drive the car home with a few hiccups, several tanks of gas, and a few run ins with the police. .....
Welcome to the forum greg21,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. The Alabama police are clearly much more lenient than ours - they'd have impounded the vehicle and locked you up.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/ to the X300 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Southern Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...rn-midwest-67/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum greg21,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. The Alabama police are clearly much more lenient than ours - they'd have impounded the vehicle and locked you up.

Graham
Surprisingly I only got pulled over twice in the 8 states i traveled . One guy did threaten to tow it but after much explanation and a call to his boss he let me go. No tickets and no tows lol Alabama allows a 20 day no registration grace period when purchasing a new vehicle as long as you have insurance and proof of purchase.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 AM

Thanks all.