New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Canadian Jag owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New Canadian Jag owner UPDATE

Hello all

After looking for several months at numerous cars ranging from Infinity G35X and M35X to a ton of BMW 3 and 5 series cars, and a couple of Volvos I chanced across some information about the X series.

I looked at several ranging from a plain jane 03 to a couple of nice 05s until finally finding a 04 wagon. It has 80K Km, the premium package as well as the sport package. I think the only option not included is the NAV system, silver on black interior, beautiful condition. It is amazing what you can get in a Jag for half what people want for an Infinity, and as far as creature comfort I find the seating and room in the X to be superior.
I will undoubtably be posting here a lot with questions.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

Last edited by sidewalkman; 12-10-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome to the forums

The following users liked this post:
maxisoft (12-09-2012)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Sidewalk

Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Where are you located sidewalkman? Welcome aboard. You'll like the Estate. Hope you don't have many troubling questions. Post up some pictures of that kitty.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Nice choice in the X Sport Wagon (known as the Estate in Europe). That is a rare car and unique to the Jaguar line, as it was the only production Estate made by Jaguar. Welcome to the forums as well.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks you all for the welcome. I'm on the west coast of Canada in a burb of Vancouver called Langley. Love the car, a real pleasure to drive but unfortunately not without issues. I'll relate the story.

I bought it from a non Jag dealership simply because after seeing the Estate both my SO and I really liked it. I have always had a soft spot for British cars having had a succesion of MGs, Triumphs (3 TR7s) and most recently a Discovery (DII). So when we happened to find this one with relatively decent KM on it in absolutely mint condition inside and out we bought it.

On the 20 minute drive home the CEL lit up and the screen told me the gas cap was loose, no biggy I pulled over and retightened it and the message went away although the light stayed on. I called the dealership when I got home and told them and they said it would probably cycle off in a day or so. I didn't really think much of it as I drive imports and there is usually a CEL issue sometime. BUT 2 days later I'm on the highway in the rain and I get the dreaded Gearbox Fault and the car goes into limp mode (the only forward gear is 4th) so I limp it home, call the dealership and expecting the worse gear up for an agruement. To their credit it was all apologies and we'll get her fixed, don't worry we'll take care of everything!!!! So I take it to the closest Jag dealership as they're the only ones who can crack into the codes, my local tranny guy couldn't but after he had everything unplugged it cleared it and allowed me to drive the 20KM to the dealership.

They came back with a PO758 Solenoid code but try as they might they could get it to reoccur, but cleared it, did the continuety check and gave her back, the other guys had everything paid for prior to me getting there to pick it up.

I drove a couple of days and then the CEL was back although this time with no fault on the screen. So now it'sback at Jag, getting a complete going over at the other guys expense, I'm drivig a courtesy car in the interim. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Sorry to hear the troubles so early on sidewalkman. If you want some more eyes on the problem (and perhaps get a tech or two to see your post), I'd copy and paste your symptoms on the appropriate area (is it an s-type, x-type, XJ or xk?)

Welcome to the forums anyhow, and good luck to you.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I hope your problems are easily cleared up at the dealership and that you can enjoy your fine car.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a follow up.

Talked to the Jag dealership and it's another evap code. I replaced the gas cap at a whopping 28.00 which the other dealership covered as well as the cost for diagnosis. As much as I like the courtesy mini van I'm driving..... I will get the X back today. The 2 dealerships are about 25KM of city driving apart so I'll let them pick it up and exchange vehicles where I got it so if the CEL returns (which the guys at JAG doubt) it'll be on their watch.

As a further note I didn't add that prior to bringing it to Jag the first time when the gearbox fault code came up I took it to a transmission place locally to get it diagnosed. I know the guys there and they were willing to do it for nothing but of course the system wouldn't read the ECM on the X. But as a favour they took apart the wiring harness for the transmission that is conveniently located right at the front of the transmission with easy access to road filth, water and anything else nature throws at it and made sure all the contact points were clean and free of any corrosion. They said it might have made the difference because some of the contacts weren't pristine. And after I picked it up it had cleared the code (although it was still stored which was good). Todays Friday, so I'll keep you informed and add a couple of pictures over the weekend.

Thanks again for your responses. It will be a pleasure sharing Jaguar information as we move along!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

So I've been driving the wagon for a couple of weeks. The Jag dealership reset the CEL and replaced the gas cap. So far so good, no more troubles and the car is driving fine.

I've added tint to the back windows purely for looks, I've had a few SUVs and always liked the look. I put some 16" snows and rims on for the winter. Amazing how much different the ride is with that extra 2" of sidewall. I've lost some of the cornering ability of course but I'm not feeling every stone on the road either. But come the spring I'll have the 18s back on for sure.

Thanks again for all the responses. I've still not completely figured out the gearbox fault code and like I said the transmission shop did clean every external electrical contact so.....

And I was reading someplace that the X-Type doesn't like to drink ethonol based premium gas so that might have been a factor too. It's getting harder in Canada to get fuels that don't have some ethenol additive, and the fact that one company out here has a 92 octane ethenol based gas for the price of midgrade makes me almost want to try another tank just in case it wasn't the cause. Maybe I'll try half a tank so if it does go back into gearbox fault code again I can dilute it with some other gas.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman

And I was reading someplace that the X-Type doesn't like to drink ethonol based premium gas so that might have been a factor too.
I think it's safe to ignore that myth. Greetings from the country of Queerbec by the way!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

Not sure if the filler system is the same on your x as my xk8, but what I thought was a gas cap issue (small evap leak), turned out to be a rusted vent tube and a blocked closed cannister valve. Keep that in mind if it returns.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey sidewalkman, good to have you with us.
Post up some pics of your X.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but hopefully most of them are behind you. If you wanna discuss them further, please take them into the X section. You'll get much better responses there too

All the best

Old 12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Hey sidewalkman, welcome to the forums I happened to be walking on the opposite sidewalk and missed your entry. Nice vehicle, all will be good!!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

And the saga continues.

As much as I love the car (when it drives) my patience are almost at an end. So yesterday, which is almost 2 weeks since the car was last in the Jag dealership I'm driving along and stop at a traffic light. Up until that point the car has been flawless, everything perfect apart from the bass buzzing in the passengers door but a joy to drive. We had snow here and the car was awesome with the snows on.

So I stop at the traffic light and when it turns green I take my foot off the brake and and there is a bump.....I thought at first the guy behind me bumped me it was like that....but I gave it gas and there was a tiny hesitation before I moved. I drove a couple of blocks and again a red light and again when it turned green the same thing except a longer hesitation this time and very sluggish to go. Once I was over 5KMH it was fine. But I was now aware there was something going on. I pulled over and then started off again andthis time it was like starting in fifth...not limp mode I have been through that and this was different. No CEL, no gearbox fault or any warning lights just started in fifth (I think) then after a second or 2 would be in first and off I'd go. Once I was moving it was normal. I checked sport mode and the same thing at start up, turned off tractioin control, no difference. So I pulled over in a parking lot and shut it down.

Starts perfect, goes into park fine.....but new wrinkle now...no reverse. Again starts in fifth, doesn't seem like its slipping just no guts because I'm starting in fifth but then suddenly it will be back in 1st and off I go.

Needless to say it' back at the dealership and we'll see what it is. I suspect from the original gearbox fault, talking with the Jag people and reading it's the TCM. I read in the workshop manual thing that is in the X-Series forum that based on the symptoms it looks lieka pooched tranny but more likely the TCM is fried.

I'll let you know.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

my condolences, and best wishes for recovery

Old 12-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrads on the purchase and welcome to the forum

Old 01-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

OK, the verdict is in and like originally expected it's the TCM. Apparently water got into the drivers area and shorted out the TCM, this last time for good, the best Jag can do is get it in limp mode. New TCM is due in tomorrow and then hours of water testing to find the area of egress and then hopefully we're good to go.

When the TCM frapped this time the computer was determining shift point s and speed from the ABS sensors at each wheel. I am driving a freaking Kia mini van so I literally can not wait to get her back.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  19.3 KB

hey there sidewalkman, hope all is sorted soon.
Please keep us updated by opening a thread in the relevant section

Thanks