New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to Forum but not Jags

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012 | 04:47 PM
|
Question New to Forum but not Jags

Hello,
I joined the forum, hoping to get help with a problem. I just purchased a beautiful 1993 XJS 4.0 convertible. It has 34K original miles and drives beautifully. I noticed I had no tail lights and found the side-light relay missing. One of those blue Hella relays, ya know? I got a relay, plugged it in and of course, I had tail lights again. All is fine, right? Nope!

When you turn off the engine and you leave the lights on, you get the lights on warning buzzer, so you turn off the lights! That is when you notice the buzzer "chirps" shortly, about every 5 seconds, as the lights give a little flash, all of the lights, headlight, tail light side lights, except the front right side light that is missing that had a bad bulb. I checked the socket on that bulb for power, it had power so I pulled the bad bulb.

So, engine on/lights off = no blink and the lights off.
Engine off/lights off = blink every 5 seconds or so, including bad bulb warning light (because of my bad front right side light) and the warning buzzer in sequence with the flash. ( at least I know the warning buzzer and bad bulb warning light are doing their job)

switch?

Any ideas where the short is and why it pulses every 5 or so seconds when the engine is off but fine with the engine running and the lights off, they are off and do not blink?

Old 04-30-2012 | 05:09 PM

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
I'm going to copy your post over to the XJS section so the gurus will see it.
Good Luck!

You should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

The following users liked this post:
Navionsam (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012 | 06:05 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum,

Nice vehicle and low miles. Hope the XJS section wizards can find an easy fix for your tail light issue.

Graham

Navionsam (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012 | 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see you.

The XJS section will help you, the chirping sounds very much like the alarm wanting to be reset after a battery disconnect. Course I could be way off.

Navionsam (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012 | 11:15 AM
|

The chirp is the lights on warning buzzer doing it's job when the lights flash. Again about once every 5 seconds. You may be on to something. Do the lights flash when the alarm goes off? Could that be what is making all of the outside lights flash? I DID just replace the battery. How do you re-set the alarm. I do not have a remote key fob.

Old 05-01-2012 | 12:47 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Navionsam
The chirp is the lights on warning buzzer doing it's job when the lights flash. Again about once every 5 seconds. You may be on to something. Do the lights flash when the alarm goes off? Could that be what is making all of the outside lights flash? I DID just replace the battery. How do you re-set the alarm. I do not have a remote key fob.
You need to post this tech question on the XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum section to get the widest and quickest response from other XJS owners.

Jaguar models allow different security module options to be configured by the dealer and what applies to one model doesn't necessarily apply to another.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 05-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.