New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to the Forum and Considering Buying a 2002 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017 | 05:59 PM
|
Default New to the Forum and Considering Buying a 2002 XJR

Hello Forum Members,
I am on the verge of purchasing a 2002 XKR with 103K miles. I have worked the sale price down to $6,150. It's a 2nd owner car that comes with a well documented service history. I have test driven the car and given it a general inspection. Everything appears to be sorted. Does this seem like a reasonable price for this vehicle and is there anything specific that I need to focus on for this model year. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2017 | 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Oscuridad,
Welcome to the forum. I have a 2002 XKR with over 160,000 and it runs great. However, the most important thing you must check first is whether or not the secondary tensioner guides have been replaced with updated metal ones. The plastic o.e.m. ones will break and most likely result in catastrophic engine failure. So if this repair has not been done and documented in the service history, it needs to be done before you drive the car. it is about a $1200 job if done at a shop. If it's a convertible, you probably want to see if the original hoses and ram in the headrail above the windshield have been replaced, otherwise you will be experiencing the dreaded "green" shower in the near future. You should also check the shock tower mounts to see if they haven't crumbled. It is a beautiful car that I dearly love along with my 2010 XKR coupe.
Good luck.

Old 04-12-2017 | 08:19 PM
|

Tberg,
Thanks for the advice. In my searching on this forum, I thought I saw that the 2002-03 model XJR's were free of the failing chain tensioner issue. Am I wrong about that? If I am incorrect, I am confident that I can tackle the replacement of them myself but I would sure love to avoid the job if I can.

Old 04-12-2017 | 08:43 PM

Welcome.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2017 | 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hello,
That price doesn't seem out of line to me, but I don't know your market. If you're happy and the seller is happy, then it's a good deal.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 04-12-2017 | 10:57 PM

Welcome aboard.

Old 04-13-2017 | 02:43 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Oscuridad,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

2002 is well beyond the Nikasil bore issue and also the early plastic tensioners but not late enough for the fourth generation metal tensioners which finally resolved the failure issue.

Two other regular issues are cooling system (plastic components/rubber hoses deteriorate over time regardless of mileage) and 'sealed for life' transmissions. It's not in the maintenance schedules but a fluid change at around 70k miles greatly increases unit life.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Northeast Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northeast-35/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 04-13-2017 | 04:50 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Oscuridad,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 04-13-2017 | 06:02 AM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 04-13-2017 | 06:12 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-13-2017 | 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Oscuridad,
2002 had the plastic tensioners, 2003 with the 4.2 engine got the metal tensioners. There are relatively inexpensive kits including gaskets, shorter bolts, tensioners, and timing chains on ebay.

Attached Thumbnails New to the Forum and Considering Buying a 2002 XJR-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 04-15-2017 | 10:57 AM
|
Default Bought It! Now it's time to fix it.

So, I pulled the trigger on that '02 XJR and now own it. So far I love it. However, my first order of business as with all used cars that I have ever purchased is to really inspect just what I have. These are the things that I have noted thus far in regards to items that need addressed.

The F/L interior door handle will not open the door. Seems like this is probably a failed latch cable.

The seatbelt tensioners seem to be shot for each seat.

Strong raw fuel smell especially upon heavy acceleration.

I am plenty capable of taking care of the first 2 issues as soon as I get the parts. However, I am not quite sure where I will start with the raw fuel smell. I have searched the forum and have found some helpful info though. I believe I will start with the purge valve. Any additional advice is much appreciated. As mentioned, the raw fuel smell seems to be at its strongest under heavy acceleration. I should also mention that I smell the fumes more so when the climate control is NOT set on recirculation.

I appreciate the warm welcome forum members and I will do my best to give back where I can.