New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to This Forum, Longtime XJS Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts
Default New to This Forum, Longtime XJS Owner

I'm a longtime XJS owner and member on another popular Jag forum. I thought I would check out this forum to see what's happening on this side of the fence. I see some familiar names here, so I know that I'm not the only curious "JAG uar LOVER" here.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 PM
GGG
Received 16,850 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Welcome to the forum Scott,

Follow this link XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJS section to exchange help, advice and information.

Please also visit the Southern MidWest US Region section https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/southern-midwest-ar-la-ms-ky-tn-al-67/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM

Thanks Graham. I'll go there now.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Please also visit the Southern MidWest US Region section https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/southern-midwest-ar-la-ms-ky-tn-al-67/ to find other members in your region.
OOPS! That link actually took me to the southwestern forum.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by JagZilla
OOPS! That link actually took me to the southwestern forum.
Scott,

Sorry about that. Something strange happening with the link but I see you've found your own way to the MI section.

Graham

Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Welcome to the forum Scott,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Graham,

No problem, I'll learn my way around soon enough :-)

Norri,
Thanks. It's good to be here.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Scott.

Please post up some pictures of the XJS it sounds to have been well cared for.

Good to see you.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 AM

Thanks Richard.

I'll post some photos as soon as I meet my mandatory probation period. Right now, the system won't even let me see the photo gallery.

Just don't have your standards set too high for it at the moment, because it's still in project form, and hasn't moved under it's own power in nearly 4 years. It was supposed to be a fairly quick project, since most of the cool stuff was simply being transferred from the wrecked '89. It turned out to not be so simple, because Jaguar made quite a few changes between '84 and '89 with no regard for backward compatibility. Other components were bent, mangled, or otherwise damaged in the wreck. So I've had to modify certain things, and fabricate others just to get stuff to work. During that time, I've gotten distracted several times, and also, life kind of got in the way on more than one occasion. I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out how to make a few things work, but, I hope to have it back on the road before the cold weather sets in here in the southern US. At that point I will be able to concentrate on possible body mods, and badly needed paint.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM
GGG

Scott,

You can attach pics to your posts straightaway. It's setting up a 'garage' that's restricted until you reach 3 days membership AND minimum 10 posts.

Four years is just 'thinking and planning' time. Has to be over ten years before starting to tip over into abandoned.

Graham

Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Scott,

You can attach pics to your posts straightaway. It's setting up a 'garage' that's restricted until you reach 3 days membership AND minimum 10 posts.
In that case, I'll do a couple posts with pix over at the XJS forum, which should satisfy my 10 post minimum

Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Guys,

Tricky subject here, and I feel more than a little uncomfortable bringing this up...

I was just at the XJS forum and I noticed that, in the thread "XJS 'HOW TO' quick links", there is a link to Kirby Palm's XJS Help Book on Jag-Lovers.org.

As a longtime member of that forum, and in the interest of keeping this forum out of trouble, I have to ask a question:

Has anyone here asked, and received permission to link to Jag-Lovers.org, or to use Kirby's book?

Kirby has put countless hours into creating, and updating that book over the years, and it is filled with information from the Jag-Lovers forums. There may be some copyrights involved here.

Several years ago, there was another Jaguar forum which started up, and used materials gleaned from Jag-Lovers.org without their permission. It stirred up trouble between the two sites, which led to the other forum shutting down. I would hate to see that happen here.

I like this website a lot. However, I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Kirby, and my friends at Jag-Lovers, for all the help I have received there over the years, and I would feel like a traitor to them if I also use this forum, and the Jag-Lovers links & info used here have not been obtained with their full permission.

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to stir up trouble here. I just want to make sure that nobody's rights are being infringed upon. I would ask this same question if I saw material from this site being used elsewhere.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard, good to have you here with us here at JF

Jaglovers is a great site and very useful and one we recomend often.
There are many various posts here that point users to that site with hotlinking as also to the UK site. There are instances in the reverse also and its fairly common and will present no issue

Any useful information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
Helpful_information

Why not drop in and visit the regional section for your area?
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

There's a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun here....

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by JagZilla
.................. I noticed that, in the thread "XJS 'HOW TO' quick links", there is a link to Kirby Palm's XJS Help Book on Jag-Lovers.org.

As a longtime member of that forum, and in the interest of keeping this forum out of trouble, I have to ask a question:

Has anyone here asked, and received permission to link to Jag-Lovers.org, or to use Kirby's book?...............
Scott,

I am also a long time member of Jag-Lovers forum from the days when I was running an XJ40 and then an X300. I've never owned an XJS although my son did so I'm familiar with Kirby Palm's excellent book. I'm also aware there's links to it all over the web.

The link in the our forum FAQ's is to Kirby Palm's book on Jag-Lovers and not directly to a stored copy elsewhere. A Google search brings up exactly the same path.

This kind of linking is common practice on motoring forums and you'll find plenty of links to this one from many other Jaguar sites. It's a courtesy and a mutual recognition of sources of knowledge and expertise.

Think of it this way. If I give you directions to the news stand where you can find the morning paper, that's assistance and not breach of copyright. If I photocopy the paper and give it or sell it to you, that's a breach.

Graham