New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Forum Member from Phoenix, AZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Forum Member from Phoenix, AZ

Hi all,

I am a relatively new jaguar owner and joining the site to gain knowledge of my car and culture. I've grown up around vehicles, am a certified aircraft mechanic (though i'm now working in the healthcare industry), automotive sporting enthusiast (I finally made it to Pikes Peak for the hill climb with my brothers in 2010--observing not competing--and am looking forward to the return of F1 to the USA in Austin next year), and soon to be father.

My family has its share of british motoring heritage, from my uncle's spitfire to my granfather's xjs with the ubiquitous SBC 350 conversion.

Last fall my wife's father passed away from cancer and left us his 2004 X-Type 3.0. While the X-Type may not be considered by all as a true Jaguar, it has been a true love of mine for years and a wonderful gift from Mr. O'Dell.

To be more accurate, it wasn't HIS car. It was the car he bought for his wife. Meaning, it was a car he had already given in love once and was giving again as his wife took his daily driver as her own, to keep a closer piece of him to her.

With the birth of his first grandson coming this November, I hope to keep the car driveable and share this part of the family with our son as he grows.

On to the car, itself, it has approximately 70k miles, automatic transmission with the sport shift button (still functioning), color is deep red (not the bright lipstick red), sand colored leather interior. I'm not sure what all the option packages are or what I should be looking for to see if it has any special or desirable options. Maybe I'll figure that out during my time here.

More than anything, I'd like to just ocntinue to maintain it and give it the best chance for survival that I can. I'll be around, let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.

Also, I don't have pictures on my computer of it, so I'll make sure to take some, but right now it doesn't look anything different than a thousand other pictures of red x-types, so just hold those thoughts in your head for the time being.

Brian

Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good luck keeping the car as part of the family, at least in PHX you know it's not going to fall apart with rust.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Jaguarforums Brian, great to have you here with us.

Thanks for a nice intro, the oly thing missing was pics.................

Lovin the X, had one myself. Being an 04 most if the early issues should have been worked out....one point of concern is the T/C and you should consider doing a lush / refill.
Please check out the X type quick FAQ link thread for lots and lots of infoyou will find useful.

Hope you enjoy the site.....

Loads going on, plenty of very friendly and helpful members as well as some excellent tech advice......all good!

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to have you with us Brian!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome Brian. Touching story. Glad you will keep the X-Type in the family. By the way, it IS a Jag.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Great to have you with us Brian. I live in Tucson and have a 2002 X-type with manual trans. It runs great and is a reliable car. If you stay on top of the maintenance there's no reason that car won't serve you and your family well.

As Jim mentioned above, the first thing I did after acquiring my used X-type was to service the transfer case and trans fluids!

This is a great website to be a part of, and being a mechanic yourself, I'm sure you'll enjoy it quite a lot.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Welcome Brian, truly a touching story thanks for sharing. Maybe someday your X Type maybe handed down to your son as well with the information found here, she'll run for along time.

As mohrd said "It is a Jag"!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome! Don't you feel like you are flying an aircraft in your jag?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Welcome Brian, im in Casa Grande so its nice to see another AZ member. No X type for me im old school but great story and glad you kept the car, again welcome aboard.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello Brian and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Also, should you have questions related to your vehicle please post it in the section for your model year (MY) car. This way you will reach all the members that are familiar with your MY car.