New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Guy with XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Guy with XK8

I am from Reno NV. I just bought (rescued) a '99 XK8, my 2nd Jag - my first was a '95 XJR and I missed it so I got this car as a project. It was in the auction circuit for some time and, I would imagine, likely beat to death in the backlots by wingnut lot guys. I bought for under $2k so I know what I could be in for. She looks great and really "wants" to run. In the coming weeks, I intend to roll up my sleeves and get to know her...well!

My first problem was low voltage; a real killer for Jags. New battery and quick code diagnostics and all the codes (5) cleaned themselves up. I drove her around for a few days to let her sort herself out and now I have a pretty clear path of what she needs. First, CHAINS and upgraded tensioners/guides (steel). There is slight but even rattle when running, the chains slap for a second or two when they take-up tension on cold starts only. So, I'm gonna fix that first. The trans was a little clunky shifting for about 50 miles, then it sorted itself out. I am going to service the trans, at some point, even though Jag says they are lifetime; in later years they have recanted that stance somewhat, and I will re-flash the TCM if necessary. There are a few "other" smaller issues and, no doubt you will see my posts in days to come.

I learned, from my XJR, that to own a Jag is to Love the One Your With... Treat it like a car and it will tell you what it needs to survive, then give you great experiences in driving! I am also looking for as much crossover information, between the AJ's that Ford and Lincoln use, as I can find. There is a major difference in parts prices between Jag and them making substantial savings possible, and therefore owning a Jag more affordable...

Thanks for letting me bend your ears/eyes...

See you again, I'm sure.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I'm also a brand fresh new member and an XKR owner.
Any pics to share with us?

Your XK seems to be in very good hands!
I read an article from Jaguar stating that lifetime gearbox oil was not really lifetime depending on usage... But it seems you already know what it's needed to know :-)

Frantz

Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
It certainly sounds like the car has fallen into good hands.

You should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Definetly post up pictures throughout the rescue. You will find loads of valuable information here if and when you get stuck on something.

Enjoy all the site has to offer!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:06 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Low cost and less problems than you expected. Got to be good.

Graham

Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Hello and welcome, look forward to hearing more from you (and seeing pictures!) over in the XK forum area. Looks like you bring your own experiences, and are well on your way to being on the road again!

Steve

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like you have a good grasp on where to start with your project. Head on over to the XK8/XKR section to keep us updated on your project and if you have any questions, there are tons of great people and great information to help you out.

If you haven't seen it already, this post has a ton of information: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Everybody!

I have been posting on "other" Jag forums, but it would seem that nobody cared to reply save for one member from Jaguar Forums, and he just caught me here to wish me a warm welcome to "The Best" Jag forum online! I think it more appropriate to say "I" am in good hands...now that I have arrived! I will try to keep you posted as my Kitty gets her claws back!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there cbxsage......n welcome aboard Jaguarforums my friend, good to have you here with us.
I'm sorry to hear about your experience elsewhere and glad that one of our members showed you the way home............Lookin forward to your posts on the tensioners and as you get her into tip top shape!

If you add your car details to your signature it will help others to help you much more quickly.

There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or even just to have a few laughs!

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
so jump on in and enjoy

Originally Posted by cbxsage
Thanks Everybody!

I have been posting on "other" Jag forums, but it would seem that nobody cared to reply save for one member from Jaguar Forums, and he just caught me here to wish me a warm welcome to "The Best" Jag forum online! I think it more appropriate to say "I" am in good hands...now that I have arrived! I will try to keep you posted as my Kitty gets her claws back!

The following users liked this post:
cbxsage (03-15-2012)