New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New intro

Hi All;

I've never owned a Jaguar but my wife and have always considered them our #1 dream car (wife ties it with a Morgan, but that's not practical).
The reason I've joined this forum is to be convinced that ownership is possible without leaving us completely destitute, with every spare penny being thrown into Jaguar maintenance.
Now I have to research forums like this one and find out what models/years we should look for and what problems to try to avoid. We would be looking in the price range of $10,000 t0 $12,000.00 I believe.
I'm looking forward to learning from any advice from the members of this group, and greatly appreciate the responses.
Oh, and I'm from Langley B.C., Canada.
Thanks
David

Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

David:
Welcome to the forum and best of luck in the deliberations. If I didn't already have one... I would be very tempted right now to consider a 2003 XJ8. Classic Jaguar form with all the bugs worked out. You can get amazing one-owner (think Florida) examples with 60K miles for your price range. But that's just me. Cheers,
Scott

Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey David welcome aboard

You might find the off topic good for fun, maybe check out the mug shot thread and add yours?Some really good guys and great techs, top vendors offering good pricing levels and great service, and more to come....all good

In the meantime I've upgraded you manually to full forum access so you can better view the site

The following users liked this post:
David D (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum David, from south of the border. I think you can get a really nice car for 10 to 12 K. Be patient. Don't know about importing to Canada, but I know I was looking at a Canadian XKR and decided it wasn't worth the hassle getting it to the US. Maybe it's a bit easier going the other way.

Anyway, welcome aboard and GO GET'EM CANUCKS!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 194 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi David.
You didn't mention what models or years you were considering?

Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to the forum David,

Take your time and I'm sure you will find a good car in your price range.

The import process is something that you should look into.

David D (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks Scott,
I see there are a few for sale around here.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks Larry;
I know there would be a much better selection across the line, but I don't know what the customs process is. I'll talk to a co worker who just bought a Lexus in Seattle.
If we found the right car that has been maintained by a local mechanic that really knows the car, that might be better for us. Also, how would we have someone check out the car properly before we bought it in the US?
We have lots of time before we seriously start looking, so we'll keep our options open.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Hi Jamey;
I think all Jaguars are beautiful. We are probably sedan type people rather than the XKs. We absolutely love the S type styling, but I like the XJ8 as well. We are looking for reliability more than anything, so would consider any model as long as it's year 2000+..I sure don't want to remove the bumper to replace a headlight as I read in a post here yesterday so we'd like to stay away from quirky maintenance nightmares.
Thanks
David

Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature when you get it. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome David. Importation isn't really all that complicated. You do pay import fees, GST/HST and DUTY (Jag is not manufactured in NA so you have to pay duty as well) so you need to take that into consideration in your budget. Follow the instructions here Registrar of Imported Vehicles. The big thing is knowing what you are getting from a distance. I purchased from a Jag dealer that I kept in touch with for almost a year. In your budget range you may not find many cars on Jag dealer lots, but there are companies out there for hire that will do independent inspections for out of area buyers with all the proliferation of online purchases.

The thing that struck me in your original post was that you and your wife are having the same dream. That will make a great joint adventure. Have fun and good luck.

David D (06-01-2011)