New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Jag-ist on board!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Jag-ist on board!

Hello to all, and a merry Christmas from Alicante, Spain.
I am now the proud owner of a 1989 XJS HE convertible which I bought yesterday, and just like 1stwheel, fulfilled a life long wish of owning an XJS. (Great feeling isn't it?)
The thing is, I have bought a car that has been sitting for 4 years in a garage, and the owner had misplaced the keys so I can't even start it up. I am going to spend the day tomorrow with the tools and plenty of optimism and see if I can't get it moving. Brakes are locked (that much I know) but bodywork (under 4 years of dust) and chassis look good. No liquid deposits on the floor....so I'm well excited!
Glad to be here, and thanks for building this Jag-ist haven.
Pablo.

Attached Thumbnails New Jag-ist on board!-03.-10.12.14.jpg  
Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

The following users liked this post:
pablomonk (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Pablo,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJS forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Europe Region forum by following this link Europe - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

pablomonk (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Pablo,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

pablomonk (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

pablomonk (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Continuation..........

continued from the first posting on this thread
Just in case anyone is interested, (don't mind if not), I want to say that I spent the day in the basement carpark where the car has been stored, unblocking the brakes, checking levels and changing the fuel for fresh. The previous owner had now found the keys so I could get the old battery out and go fetch a new one. Well, it turned over very slowly in my opinion, but then I have never actually heard a V12 cranking over for the first time after a 4 year sleep.
No go.
In desperation I ended up squirting deodorant into the air inlets then turning it over again. That did the trick! Lots of coughing and spluttering and reluctant to actually come to life, and I had to ease the revs up bit by bit (but with my foot almost to the floor) aware that fluids have not flown in the bay for way too long, but there was life!!
It sounded as if only 4 of the 12 cylinders were firing (I wouldn't know), but, as one by one they kicked in, the revs picked up a notch and the shaking reduced by 0.6 on the Richter scale.
After fine balancing my foot for 5 mins between "too high revs" and "certain stall", cramp started to set in. I had to give in, weather it would stay on tickover or not, besides by this time the garage was so full of fumes it was getting difficult to breath. I backed the foot off and the revs dropped to 0, well almost, before swelling back to about 600 where there it stayed throbbing away, obviously still lacking a few cylinders, but doing it on its own! What a glorious sound that was to me.
I called the pickup truck to come and I took the Jag up to the daylight. Once it was on the street, I realised how lucky I have been buying that car blind. I could still be stuck down there working my way down a never ending list of "THINGS TO CHECK IF YOUR V12 WONT RUN". Its now at home and had its first bath in 4 years. Looks much better, but needs another, and a wax tomorrow.
I am going to start looking at servicing it next week, but I have a lot to learn...............I'm a musician, not a mechanic!

Attached Thumbnails New Jag-ist on board!-05..jpg   New Jag-ist on board!-09..jpg   New Jag-ist on board!-10..jpg   New Jag-ist on board!-12.-new-home....jpg   New Jag-ist on board!-14..jpg  

New Jag-ist on board!-first-bath-4-years.......jpg   New Jag-ist on board!-dscf0006.jpg   New Jag-ist on board!-found-some-rust-bootlid-lip-but-thats-all......what-result-.jpg   New Jag-ist on board!-tucked-away-its-new-home-night.jpg  

Last edited by pablomonk; 12-11-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Add sub title...
Old 12-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

great, sounds pretty good so far, although you obviously have to start digging a little deeper.

I'd suggest as this is the new members section ( the post will naturally drop away now ) that you start a specific thread.

Try starting "My XJS Purchase / project" or similar names thread in the XJS section. You can then either make individual posts moving forward and or add comments to the thread as you find more issues / resolve them.

It'll get much more attention in the XJS section

Good luck

Jim