New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Jag XJ6 owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011 | 07:28 PM
|
Default New Jag XJ6 owner

I just bought a 1995 XJ6 4.0 at an auction a couple of weeks ago. It has lots of miles on it, but runs like a charm with great mechanicals, engine, transmission and tires, but needs some interior work. Unfortunately, the trunk release just quit working, so I'm trying to solve that little challenge. I only had the valet key, so I got the regular one, but the key lock doesn't work, the button failed and I can't get into the trunk. I'm going to try removing the rear seat back cushion to see if I can open it from inside. I removed the dash switch unit, but I couldn't tell if the switch was working or not since it was part of the board. Dont' know if I have an electrical problem or mechanical linkage disconnected. I don't hear anything when pushing the button though and I did at first. Ideas?

Old 06-26-2011 | 07:46 PM
|

I'm sorry. I should have just posted my new owner info here and posted my challenge in the appropriate section. My name is Steve and I'm from Morgan Hill, CA, near San Jose. I bought my 95 XJ6 at auction 3 weeks ago accidentally. I mean I really wasn't intending to buy a Jag, but it had over 200k miles and bidding started really low, so I got carried away and bid. Bidding stayed low, so I bid once more, not thinking I would win the bid, but I did. I got it for $1450, believe it or not. It runs like a charm and rides extremely smoothly, although the shocks/coils are somewhat worn, so it bottoms out a on hard dips when 4 people are riding in it. Not too tough to solve.
The main reason it was cheap was because it might have been involved in a police drug bust, because many things in the interior were ripped out from the car, breaking plastic pieces or ripping rivets completely out of metal. That's pretty unusual unless someone was looking for something in a hurry. Cop friends think I'm right on that one.

I've already fixed most of those problems just by making some simple pieces to reattach the broken glovebox and overhead console. I've still got to fix the rear seat mounts where they pried the seat out. I've also got to fix the lower driver door panel that was busted loose.

Other than these little things, it's an awesome car. The 4.0 liter engine has plenty of power to spare. In fact, I got frustrated with a road boulder blocking the road driving slowly next to another slow driver and when I got a few feet of gap, I floored it and was up to 100 in no time.

Old 06-26-2011 | 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum, Steve. Not sure it would matter, but you may check the "Valet" switch in the center box. Otherwise, allegedly you can get it open through a hole behind the license plate, but sounds like you've already tried that.....

Old 06-26-2011 | 09:52 PM
|
Default Thanks for the idea, aholbro1

I think the valet switch may be broken. It rocks toward the driver, but not back the other way. Is it a toggle on, toggle off switch, or is it supposed to rock back toward the passenger also? It looks like it is supposed to rock both ways to me based on the shape of the button head, but I don't know and I don't have a driver's handbook yet. They're expensive and I haven't found one online yet.
I did try the hanger through the license plate hole again this evening and only caught a bundle of loose wires. I hope I didn't rip anything loose, because it was a bear getting the hanger to release them. I also gave up removing the rear seat back after removing the bottom cushion (59 cents underneath, yahoo!) and feeling behind the back and not finding any opening. I might have to try that again.

Old 06-27-2011 | 03:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Steve welcome to the forum. A bit late, but don't bother removing the rear seat it won't get you anywhere. (There, useless advice for a Monday morning) doh

More helpful perhaps, Drivers Manual download (and much much more, better yet FREE)

And for even more goodies, the Forum Library.

Check out the X300 section, inop' trunk release does appear.

The following users liked this post:
SteveL (06-29-2011)
Old 06-27-2011 | 05:43 AM

Welcome to the forum Steve,

Can't beat that price, I hope you manage to get the trunk open soon.

Old 06-27-2011 | 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Steve, good to have you here as part of the forum

Sounds like you got a deal and a project all in one.......I'm sure you'll
get the help you need from the various gurus around here.........

Loads going on, plenty of very friendly and helpful members as well as some excellent tech advice......all good!

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 06-28-2011 | 09:50 PM

Check out eBay. I've found so many parts on there and cheap too! You can get interior parts full set door items, trim, seat covers etc for $6/700 dollars.

Old 06-29-2011 | 03:22 AM
|
Default Will check eBay for parts

Thanks Jeff96, I will check eBay for parts. I've also heard there is a junkyard in Stockton, CA, that specializes in Jags. I'm fairly close to there, so I may check there too.

Old 06-29-2011 | 10:58 AM

Really? I wonder if you can order parts through them?! If so I'd web look into it because I have nothin like that here in ny

Old 07-07-2011 | 10:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.