New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to Jags

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New to Jags

New to the Jag world. I've been heavily involved in the 4x4 truck world for over 20 years. Decided it was time for a change back to my original love of classic cars, classic foreign cars, vintage racing, etc.

As I made that decision, a customer of mine gave me a 77 XJ6L. Not a collector car but still a neat car non the less. It had sat, undriven, for about 15 years and an unstarted for about 5. Yes, it has LOTS of rust. But, from what I've found, every rusted/rotted part is available from one source or another or several different places.. and surprisingly, the parts for these earlier cars don't seem to be that expensive, at least compared to 4x4 truck parts.
So, with that, I dove into the world of Jaguars and have found a lot more than I expected.
I have already found a parts car reletively inexpensive... aamof, the parts cars may end up as THE car because it has less rust and a beautiful interior, just no motor or trans.
Now...where to put them...LOL

Talk soon,

Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 7,147 Posts
Default RE: New to Jags

You'll like Jags. They are very interesting cars and enjoyable to drive, own, and work on. Quirky, though, so you gotta stay in the right frame of mind :-)

Lots of tech support via the internet and, yes, generally good parts availablity.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not heavy into auto electrical and I have heard the reasons why the English drink warm beer.. Lucas, Prince of Darkness.. However, in recent readings, it may not be as bad as it seems..
A Land Rover friend of mine screamed.. Don't Do It!.. But she has been so deeply involved in the British car/truck world I think her vision is slightly impaired..
I look fwd to diving into another project and have the garage, equipment and even the friends to make it all happen.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 7,147 Posts

Yeah, the much ballyhooed Prince of Darkness thing, while having basis in fact, has become pretty badly overblown over the years. Cleaning grounds, fuse holders, and wiring connectors is the "cure" more often than not. It has always amused me that a dead alternator or corroded lamp socket on a15-20-30 year old Chevy is shrugged off as simplythe inevitableresult of age andwear but the verysame problems on a Jag are cursed as "Lucas, The Prince of Darkness" :-)

Cheers
DD