New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to Jags entirely.. XJR advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Jags entirely.. XJR advice welcome

Hi all, I live in Texas and have been a BMW/muscle car owner most of my life. I just sold my E39 M5 that had 90k miles on it and looking for my next daily driver. After owning a few Mercedes' and plenty of BMWs I'm at a loss of what to try out next. To me a daily driver needs over 300hp so my buddy told me about his 2006 XJR and about the power it made (450rw) and he ranted and raved about how great of a car it was esp. since he put coil overs on it. Sounds promising on paper.

What am I getting myself into though with an XJR? Are they reliable? Fairly easy to work on yourself? Are parts easy to come across? Also, what are common issues I should look for when looking at/test driving one? I'll be sure to use the search feature when I can as to not repeat commonly asked questions.

Last car. E39 M5

The 900hp race car.

Attached Thumbnails New to Jags entirely.. XJR advice welcome-2013-01-24111204_zps010a98a2.jpg   New to Jags entirely.. XJR advice welcome-afterdetail2.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:57 AM
Received 6,337 Likes on 5,522 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rams,

Good to have you with us.
Head on over to the tech section and the guys will give you good advice XJ ( X350 & X358 ) XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and you will find the res of the Texans in the regional section Southwest US - AZ TX NM OK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rams,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow Norri's link to the X350 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rams.

Not wanting to call out your buddy, but 450rwhp out of a 2006 XJR is basically impossible at this point in time, unless he knows something that we all don't.

450hp at the flywheel is a more realistic number.

As a daily driver, the XJR is in a class of it's own, my advice is take a few for a test drive, and look at the Super V8 as well. Not as raw as an M5, a more refined way of getting the job done.

Common issues are often discussed in the X350 subforum. US owners seem to have issues with the air suspension, as your buddy's example shows with the coilover conversion. Funny enough the rest of us outside of North America don't see these problems that often.

Working on the car yourself from a mechanical point of view is no better or worse than a BMW. If you are serious about maintaining the car yourself, then you really need to get your hands on a dealer-level diagnostic system, which can be acquired relatively easily.

The following users liked this post:
Rams (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 4,324 Likes on 3,734 Posts

welcome to the forum

Old 09-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Welcome!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Welcome to the forum Rams.

Not wanting to call out your buddy, but 450rwhp out of a 2006 XJR is basically impossible at this point in time, unless he knows something that we all don't.

450hp at the flywheel is a more realistic number.

As a daily driver, the XJR is in a class of it's own, my advice is take a few for a test drive, and look at the Super V8 as well. Not as raw as an M5, a more refined way of getting the job done.

Common issues are often discussed in the X350 subforum. US owners seem to have issues with the air suspension, as your buddy's example shows with the coilover conversion. Funny enough the rest of us outside of North America don't see these problems that often.

Working on the car yourself from a mechanical point of view is no better or worse than a BMW. If you are serious about maintaining the car yourself, then you really need to get your hands on a dealer-level diagnostic system, which can be acquired relatively easily.
Just the advice I was looking for. I always take what people say with a grain of salt. So glad the power level argument has been cleared up. Ill check out the subforums. Thanks for the heads up

Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the search
facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.

Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

See you in the forums....