New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to Jaguar Forums and XK8's - less than 3 months in and many Up's and Down's

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New to Jaguar Forums and XK8's - less than 3 months in and many Up's and Down's

I'm having fun but am I crazy deciding to get a British Racing Green 98 - XK8 as a usable/hobby car.

I read this forum and advice carefully, chose a southern CA car that had been fully serviced, very clean, Tensioners changed at 56,000 miles, a couple of issues, but everything was working.

After getting the car did some work to get the car to a position where I was happy with it. These service items included:
  • Front Brakes and Rotors
  • Water Pump
  • Small leak on Oil Pan
  • Wheel Alignment
  • New front Pirelli P-Zero's
  • Repaired Seats
  • Professional re-spray of rear quarter and trunk
  • Repair of Rattle on tents in dash

Everything beautiful and running well, or so I thought.

Then after 2 months, I now had the ABS, Electronic Stability Control issue. (also saw the brake light coming on once or twice and speedo malfunction). The garage found the following codes:
  • P1637 - ABS Control Module / CAN Failure
  • P1642 - CAN Link Circuit Malfunction
  • ABS code B1342 - ABS control module failure
  • ABS codes C1233 and C1234 - LF and RF speed sensor failures

I have performed the following tasks:
  • Checked and Cleaned Wheel Speed Sensors.
  • Checked Brake switch.
  • Opened ABS system, repaired joints, not as bad as some of the joints i saw on the web but could see they were cracked.

Put everything back together and it worked for three trips and the fault mode has come back again.

So at this time I have purchased a used (they say working) ABS controller and will see if this cures the issue. So if it does or doesn't we will let you know.

At this time, is this fun, I don't know.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 01:20 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nobby,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. If your car care is as meticulous as your Intro writing, it'll be one of the best.

Obviously no need for a link to the XK8/XKR tech forum as you have already been reading there.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is always a good place to find info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Western Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/western-us-ak-ca-nv-ut-hi-wa-id-38/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Received 4,292 Likes on 3,710 Posts

welcome to the forum -you will find a wealth of info and support here - enjoy!!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

A very warm welcome Nobby. Sounds like you are going in the right direction to getting your car sorted.

With a car of that age, check ground points as well as connectors and keep your battery fully charged, it will help.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
A very warm welcome Nobby. Sounds like you are going in the right direction to getting your car sorted.

With a car of that age, check ground points as well as connectors and keep your battery fully charged, it will help.
+1, a weak battery can also cause ABS faults even though the battery has more than enough power to crank the engine.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Nobby,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 07-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I did check the battery/voltage and its an new interstate battery and has a manufacture date of December 2013. I know the people i purchased the car from had just changed this.

If anybody has any specific grounding points that should be checked, that would be a good PM I could do as well.

The recycled ABS Control Module came yesterday. FYI, I purchased the complete module: controller, manifold and pump from a working vehicle (LNC2210BD). Then just used the control module. (This is the same module for the XJ6, XJ8 and XK8). The reason I purchased the used part was to have a spare in hand and one to sent to a module rebuilder if needed.

As I have done this a few days, I changed this over in around 20mins (took multiple hours the first time) and got no new errors, all lights went straight out. A good start. Brakes seem fine, but will bleed then at the weekend to make sure.

I will have to keep monitoring, but no errors after a 50 mile test drive.

Probably useful to know OBD II Diagnostic Tool I purchases to monitor the car was a Innova 3030f, this worked fine. was able to read the ABS Control module failure codes (P-Codes) and the wheel sensor (C-codes). I was actually surprised as it gave me every code the Jag Garage gave me.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Welcome Nobby
it took me all winter to get mine sorted out. lots of little things go wrong with a 16 year old car, but spent mostly time not money getting her just right. I am pleased to say I haven't had an issue in 8,000 miles. (knock on veneer) yours will get there too,

Old 09-21-2014, 10:55 PM

As an update on my XK8 Project.

The good news is the car is running fine. The stability control module replacement has fixed the issue.

The bad thing is the alternator failed, and as this should be such a easy item to replace I had to write-up how difficult it was to replace.

I posted this at XK8 Alternator Replacement.

I hope this helps anybody who try's this themselves.

The Audio system was pretty nasty so started to see if their was anything I could do and, found out it didn’t have premium sound. To update this I purchased the dash Tweeters from ebay, to discover they were not wired in the center console. You can find multiple threads on Jaguar forums how to re-wire this. Once I added these the sound is a lot better a worthwhile job. If anybody wants to do this.

In addition I Damaged my hood while doing the alternator repair. Which was a bad thing. Luckily I found a company that removed the ding (from the hood falling on the wrench, that was on the serpentine belt tensioner). The guy I found in the san Diego area was fantastic. If anybody has this issue the guy I found was fantastic.

The next jobs are the suspension and new seats.