New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

A new Jaguar project...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new Jaguar project...

Hello to all, I appreciate the fact that this forum exists and there are people who are willing to assist in the restoration of these cars.

This is my second Jagauar project, the first in 30 years. The first while being employed at British Motor Cars in Seattle during the late 70s and 80s. That car was an E-type, which was a project car assigned to me to work on while there was downtime in the shop.

This project is a 1983 xj6 that I was able to pick up from a friend who was downsizing his stable which include jaguars, ferraris, etc. The xj needs a head gasket immediately which I'm in the process of replacing now. After that its a whole list of small items that will need attention.

I have owned this car for approx. 2 years. Althogh I've known about the head gasket problem, I didn't have the location to work on it until now. I have kept the car running, although usually just very short drives because of the head gasket. Now that I'm getting into it further, I am realizing, that for a car with only 70k miles on it, 27 years have taken some toll on the car. Some rust here and there, engine wasn't taken care of particularly well at any time of its life, etc. My goal is to get it back to daily driver status, then we'll look at what can be done to make it better. One thing I would like to do down the road is convert it to a Hydrogen Hybrid to see if I can get decent gas milage out of it. We'll see on that item when we get to it.

I'll admit that I am typically looking for information when I use this type of forum, but will be more that willing to add my opinion/expertise if I can help someone else out.

Thanks again and I look forward to getting this xj6 back on the road with the help of this forum.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome SnS,

Sounds like a good project, I'm sure you will find support in the XJ section.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard scotchnscotch, good to have you with us
Nice intro full of info too...thanks!
Dunno bout where you are but here in the UK sometimes you can get a grant maybe worth £££ towards converting the car to LPG or similar.....check it out?
I've manually upgraded you too Full forum access so you can better enjoy the site.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, that sounds a good project ,would like to see how it goes

Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Welcome. Great project. Keep us posted on both the engine rebuild and conversion. Mayby you could post photos as you go.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll try to take some pics of this project as I go. It will be a slow project, as I still have to make a living. Its going to be my "winter" project". I've already taken a few pics, but mostly so that I'll be able to see where stuff was when I put it back together. Aren't digital camera great!

This car is pretty rough engine wise. Interior is good, exterior is not bad, except for the traditional cancer spots under the glass. My real goal is to just get it back on the road, the car isn't worth doing too much real restoration on, but it will make a great driver.

I'm in Sonoma, CA, USA so I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of the british incentives for alternative fuel, here you get a slap on the back and a bunch of people crowded around your car looking at the odd piece of technology that you put in it. I don't know how much I'll be able to convert it to hydrogen, but I'm hoping that I can get close to 30 miles per gallon out of it. I think it will be cool to have an old jagaur that gets 30 miles per gallon.

We'll see how far I get on any of it.

Cheers!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I'm in the dark about a DIY Hydrogen conversion. If you do go with that, please post up your experiences.