New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New to me: 16 F-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to me: 16 F-Type R

Hello all,

I have purchased my first Jaguar ever today, a 2016 F Type R Convertible. Black on black. I've always owned German, but thought I'd give Jaguar a chance so here I am! Excited to see what this car and the forums have in store.

If anyone has any suggestions on first modifications, I'd love to hear them!

Cheers!

Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,263 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by vndr09
Hello all,

I have purchased my first Jaguar ever today, a 2016 F Type R Convertible. Black on black. I've always owned German, but thought I'd give Jaguar a chance so here I am! Excited to see what this car and the forums have in store.

If anyone has any suggestions on first modifications, I'd love to hear them!

Cheers!
Number one mod by far, dump the OEM Pirelli P-Zeros (assuming that's what it has on it) for the muuuuuch better Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.
Number two mod, swap out the incredibly dusty OEM brake pads for low dust Porterfield R4S.
Number three mod, fit lowering springs - Eibach, H&R, VAP - to reduce the OEM 4WD-like wheel arch gaps.
Number four mod, fit wheel spacers - 15 mm, 17 mm, 20 mm - to pump the tyres out into the fenders and eliminate the 1970s tucked under look.
Number five mod, fit a VAP lower/crank pulley and tune to take it from a measly 550 hp to 620+ hp (but you might want to get used to and bored with the OEM tune first before you do this!).
Number six mod, swap out the very heavy OEM wheels for some lightweight after-market two or three piece forged ones.
Number seven mod, swap out the incredibly heavy OEM brake rotors for two piece light weight Wortec "sun cut" rotors.
That'll do for now, several thousand $ already in that list!

Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 PM
Received 6,357 Likes on 5,533 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums vndr09,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 01-22-2020, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,463 Likes on 5,466 Posts

Hello,
Congratulations on your First Jaguar!
I see someone has already listed several Mods that look like a Whole lot of fun.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 PM
Received 4,054 Likes on 2,909 Posts

Welcome aboard

Old 01-23-2020, 02:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums vndr09,

Good to have you with us.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-x350-x358-28/ to the F-Type forum for help, advice and information. You can also use the US Southwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-southwest-37/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 01-23-2020, 04:00 AM
Received 10,583 Likes on 6,991 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:53 AM
Received 4,331 Likes on 3,741 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 01-25-2020, 11:16 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:28 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 127 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your great-looking new ride! Tell us a little bit more about it and post some pictures, when you have a chance.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:51 PM

Not much info yet on the car. It's all stock, 2016 R (AWD), convertible, with the extended leather and vision packs and a couple other goodies. So far, I've only enjoyed washing/waxing, cleaning up the interior and under hood. Other than that, only 'mod' so far has been removing the engine cover! Luckily, the car already has far superior tires to the Pirellis, however, not as great as the MPS4S's, so once these die down (they're still at 7/32's all around) in a year or so, I'll upgrade. As far as spacers, I'll post this question in the F Type section, but does anyone know if 15mm or 17mm is preferential? I do plan on dropping the car ~1" on springs, so that could be a factor. Also, do any of the aftermarket spring choices affect the adaptive suspension that is customizable in i-Dynamic? Or does that just change the shock/strut responsiveness? Thanks in advance! Here are my only 3 pics:

The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Not much info yet on the car. It's all stock, 2016 R (AWD), convertible, with the extended leather and vision packs and a couple other goodies. So far, I've only enjoyed washing/waxing, cleaning up the interior and under hood. Other than that, only 'mod' so far has been removing the engine cover! Luckily, the car already has far superior tires to the Pirellis, however, not as great as the MPS4S's, so once these die down (they're still at 7/32's all around) in a year or so, I'll upgrade. As far as spacers, I'll post this question in the F Type section, but does anyone know if 15mm or 17mm is preferential? I do plan on dropping the car ~1" on springs, so that could be a factor. Also, do any of the aftermarket spring choices affect the adaptive suspension that is customizable in i-Dynamic? Or does that just change the shock/strut responsiveness? Thanks in advance! Here are my only 3 pics:

You won't be able to fit 15 mm spacers with those wheels without grinding or cutting 2 or 3 mm off the end of every lug, but 17 mm spacers should work no worries.
The only problem with 17 mm spacers is they are not a standard size so are harder to find and/or more expensive than the very common 15 mm spacers.
Lowering springs won't effect the adaptive suspension at all, heaps here have fitted Eibach or H&R or VAP springs and no-one has ever had a problem with the adaptive suspension. However many of us have found that fitting lowering springs makes the suspension a bit "bouncy" when you are going over road undulations, dips and rises at speed, with the suspension set on "Normal", but changing to Dynamic fixes 90% of the bounce.

Last edited by OzXFR; 01-27-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the response, OzXFR. From what I've found, the 15mm spacers require the grinding, just like you said. However, the forum seems to be split about 50/50% on whether or not 17mm spacers will require grinding. Do you happen to know for sure? I don't mind spending extra for the 17mm spacers to get a ~2mm more aggressive stance, as long as it alleviates the need for grinding, and won't have any rubbing issues with springs.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the response, OzXFR. From what I've found, the 15mm spacers require the grinding, just like you said. However, the forum seems to be split about 50/50% on whether or not 17mm spacers will require grinding. Do you happen to know for sure? I don't mind spending extra for the 17mm spacers to get a ~2mm more aggressive stance, as long as it alleviates the need for grinding, and won't have any rubbing issues with springs.
I don't know "for sure", I think it depends on the wheels or more accurately the depth of the voids/hollows between the lug holes.
I have Blade wheels which as far as I know are the only OEM F-Type wheels that work with 15 mm spacers with no grinding so I have no direct experience of grinding.
See this recently updated thread for some more comments: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...pacers-224170/
As I said at post number 18 in that thread there is a quick, easy and free way to check before you shell out on spacers or grinding:
1. Measure the length of an OEM wheel stud.
2. Measure the depth of one of the voids/hollows in your wheels.
3. Subtract 2. from 1.
4. The result will tell you the minimum thickness of spacer you need to clear the voids without any cutting or grinding of the OEM wheel studs.