New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member– Trying to Troubleshoot "No Start" 2000 S-Type 3.0 V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Member– Trying to Troubleshoot "No Start" 2000 S-Type 3.0 V6

RE: 2000 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6
all stock, no modifications at all.

Greetings everyone,

My name is Dawn and I am here scouring through threads like a mad-woman and I am currently trying to start my car after having it sit for a while. I am grateful to have found this forum. I will start with the background of what happened before I parked it and where I am today. As mentioned, my first baby has been sitting for quite some time(over 2 years). I know! Iknow! please do not throw tomatoes at me, I will explain because I really do love my car and that is why I have not lost hope. I, SADLY, had to park my car. At the time, I was putting myself through Graduate school, only working part-time to be able to complete my hours for a really intensive internship, and raising a daughter– needless to say I was overwhelmed and finances were tight. Then, when the different miscellaneous "warning messages" started displaying in the dash, the thought of having to take the Jag to the dealer gave me immense anxiety. Before parking it, I was always very in tune with my car, and always sensed when something wasn't quite right, like when I could smell that my car was running a little hot or the coils sputtering--and would address the issue immediately. But, with going back to school and having a limited income, it was difficult I was really between a rock and a hard place in terms of fixing my precious car. So, in a sense, I really was forced to park my car.

Background/Symptoms:
I will try to list the symptoms in the order that I remember them happening, and please bear with me if my jargon is not correct.
  1. The first thing I remember was the Heat stopped working,, fan was blowing, but was just blowing cold air. It wasn't too cold here, so troubleshooting the Heat, was not at the top of my "To do" list.
  2. Then the "Left Brake Lamp Failure" warning came up. I checked the brake light and sure enough it was not working. I cleaned the bulb contact points, did not work, I replaced the bulb, still did not work. I had a mechanic friend look at it, and I cannot remember if he checked the fuse, but I do remember him saying it could be RECM. I was not in a position to replace it or to even have a Jaguar mechanic trouble shoot to verify if that was the problem. So, I just kept on...hoping to be able to take care of it soon.
  3. Some time after a month or so (I cant remember exactly), when I was on the freeway, the "Trunk Ajar" warning light came on. I pulled over immediately, checked but my trunk was securely closed. Around that time, I had noticed that when I would use the keyless entry fob to open the trunk, the trunk lid would stick a bit and I would have to manually pull it open.
  4. Then, I began to notice that my "unlock" button on Keyless Entry Fob wasworking/not working intermittently, it eventually stopped working completely. I replaced the battery, but the "unlock" button still did not work, while the other buttons did. From then on I had to unlock/lock the car with the key, and turn the alarm off (if it went off) with the key as well. Around this time as well, I think I remember that when I would press twice to unlock all doors, they would lock back up. Actually, to be quite honest, I cannot remember if the "re-locking" actually happened after the fob was no longer working at all and after II tried to lock it manually from inside. Now, that I think of it I think its the ladder.Side bar:| my new-used fob arrived yesterday, but I need to get it programmed.
  5. After the fob stopped working completely, I noticed "weird" things began to happen. My car alarm began to sound off randomly, this started to happen shortly after I started unlocking/locking the car with the key. If remember correctly, it almost seems that it would mainly happen in the middle of the night. At some point, to avoid having the alarm sound off, I began leaving my car unlocked, so my neighbors would not kill me.
  6. Around that time, I also distinctly remember distinctly, coming out in the morning and finding my radio was on. I was a bit perplexed, but honestly, I did not think to much of it. But, paid attention after I exited the car and before walking away. Then it happened again and I knew that wasn't a fluke because I had made sure that the radio was off. What I cannot remember if I actually turned powered the radio off with the button before turning the car off, or if I just looked to make sure it was off once the key was out.
  7. After the car alarm began to go off and radio turn on randomly, I noticed my car battery began having trouble. I am thinking that was due to the radio perhaps coming on at night and it being on all night. I woke to a dead battery several times. I charged it and took it to be looked at and they recharged it, was okay for a little while. Then the car died at the market, jumped it, only die again. At this point, I was super stressed out and like I mentioned I was not in a position to take it in to the dealer. I bought a new battery, it was okay for a while, but soon eventually started draining as well. So I reported it to department of motor vehicles as "Non-Operational"
  8. I took that battery out and it collected dust
After reading threads, I have learned a few things that may have been the causing the symptoms stated above.
Heater not working -> Heater Control Module
Left Rear Brake Light --> blown fuse, corrosion in the wiring, poor ground, or maybe it is the RECM.
Alarm going off --> faulty fob triggering the PATS
Radio --> I am stumped, haven't had time to look that one up. Fuse maybe, problem within the radio circuitry, a ground,
Dead Battery --> Radio draining battery,

Current Status: Car will not start
First thing that I am need to trouble shoot is the car not starting-- really need to get this car back on

Things I have done so far.
Purchased a new after market battery, I know that these cars are very finnicky about power and battery, but I first just want to see that it starts and then go from there and get the more expensive Jaguar batter. Fluids were checked, mechanic checked fuel pressure and detected pressure, he checked the relays (we have not trouble shooted) fule pump relays yet, because he said that I should start with getting a new fob to see if the alarm issue triggered the PATS, and to see if the PATS is preventing the fuel injectors from working? He said that if after I program fob and try to turn off PATS(I cannot remember exactly what he said about the fob and PATS, so please be nice because it may be me misunderstanding something he said) and it still does not start, we can move on to trouble shoot fuel pump.

Any suggestions

THANK YOU!
Dawn
2000 Jaguar S Type 3.0 V

Old 12-19-2019, 08:56 PM
Received 10,476 Likes on 6,918 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

DAMN, that is a list and a half.

Heater inop on the early cars is 98% the heater tap. Front RH corner of the engine bay. 5 outlet style, and a MONGREL to get at.

Only addition from me is stale fuel. If its the same fuel as ewhen it was parked up, no more "whoosh" in that stuff.

Also, by "not starting" I am assuming it turns over (cranks to some) but does nit fire up?

You have found the S Type section from what I read, good, they will know.

The following users liked this post:
IvysMommy (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 02:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Dawn,

I've copied your Intro post to S-Type forum for advice from members with the same model. Here's the link to it:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...3-0-v6-226955/

It sounds like you've already found your way to the S-Type model forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Western Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/western-us-ak-ca-nv-ut-hi-wa-id-38/ to find other members in your region.

I've added vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. If you want to change this, go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Good luck with the issues and enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Grant Francis (12-20-2019), IvysMommy (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Dawn,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

IvysMommy (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - you're in the right place to get help in fixing what ails the poor cat - enjoy!!!

IvysMommy (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

Hello, Dawn,
I'm so sorry you had to park your kitty so long ago. I hope you can get her back on the road soon enough for Spring Driving Season so you can DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF once again.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 12-20-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 627 Likes on 492 Posts

From one S-type owner to another... Welcome. The S-type forum is populated with a very friendly group and contains a wealth of knowledge.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard Dawn.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:41 PM

Grant, “The List” I know ...but I am determined to eliminate it! Thank you die your input! I forgot to give details of it not startin, and yes you’re right, it “turns & cranks” some but doesn’t fire up. Another small detail, after initially trying to start it, we sprayed some “Starting fluid” into the *thungamajig and I could feel a little more “action” if you will— but still did not start.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:44 PM

Thank you so very much! I will take the suggestion, and be thank you for adding to my signature- much appreciated. I am still learning to navigate the forum. So apologies if something is mis-posted.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:46 PM

Norri,

It is really great to be here— I am very grateful and hopeful to get my cat back in the road. Thank you for the “User” link.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:49 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, I definitely feel the support and it’s GREATLY appreciated!

The following 2 users liked this post by IvysMommy:
Daf11e (12-20-2019), GGG (12-21-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 02:39 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.