New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013 | 12:39 PM
|
Default New Member

Hi everyone,

My 72yr old neighbor has a 1993 xj6 thats been sitting for a few yrs....im an aircradft mech. by trade(nothing special) but I have volunteered to get her car back on the road. He recently deceased husband was a retired submariner...he loved to take things apart and play easter egg hunt...i got a battery yesterday for this xj6.

I was doing some searches for 'batt. light not going out...and i found this member here I really want advice from but being new, i cannot find where to go to send a private message.....any help please?

its a beautiful car that needs a good clean up....

here is the message from a Senior member here..

Alternator output is fed to the battery through a fuse (500A) in the "high power protection module" located in the trunk adjacent to the battery. Check Alt. output at this point.

The charging indicator is driven by a separate line from the alternator to the major instrument pack, so this is a possibility.
ie: false indication

If you want a wiring diag. for your car, send me a PM with your Email Address. I will send you one. It is a PDF...

darn it, i didnt copy the members name....brb

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-22-2013 | 12:44 PM
|

Fjk..thats his username....

I think im goin to love this site....

Attached Thumbnails New Member-j2.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013 | 01:42 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum t.rhodes64,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar Forums.

You can't send PM's until you have 3 Days membership AND a minimum of 10 Posts. It's a successful measure we use to stop one post spammers but is only a minor inconvenience to genuine members.

I can see you've already found your way o the XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III tech section so there's no need fora link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

t.rhodes64 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-22-2013 | 02:54 PM

from a fellow South Carolinian welcome to the forum and the Jag family!! You will find plenty of info and support here - by far the best tool in an owner's tool box.

There are several forum members in SC - so check out the Lower Atlantic regional section for local news/events, etc.

Enjoy

t.rhodes64 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-22-2013 | 09:31 PM

Welcome to Jaguar t.rhodes64,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

t.rhodes64 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-28-2013 | 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

t.rhodes64 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013 | 02:57 PM
|
Default Thanks guys,

I have downloaded the Haynes manual now and went thumbed through it....great stuff!

I am still baffled by this "Gear-shift Interlock Manual Override" on this 1993 XJ40

I was able to find the screw in cap for but I have no idea where to find its inner workings. I was told by the owner that you have to stick something in there to make it come out of park, which it does, then you can shift gears, no problem...I/they have no idea as to why the owner took this cap off....

I'll move this question to another spot on the site BUT since i got such a Great Welcoming from the you guys, you may lead me in the right path...

Beautiful car for 138k..but has been neglected for some time and needs TLC before it becomes a bigger mess...

Attached Thumbnails New Member-interlock-jag.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013 | 02:59 PM
|

Originally Posted by sklimii
from a fellow South Carolinian welcome to the forum and the Jag family!! You will find plenty of info and support here - by far the best tool in an owner's tool box.

There are several forum members in SC - so check out the Lower Atlantic regional section for local news/events, etc.

Enjoy

I'm in Hartsville...right next to the nuclear plant, lake Robinson

Old 12-29-2013 | 04:48 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by t.rhodes64
........... I am still baffled by this "Gear-shift Interlock Manual Override" on this 1993 XJ40

I was able to find the screw in cap for but I have no idea where to find its inner workings. I was told by the owner that you have to stick something in there to make it come out of park, which it does, then you can shift gears, no problem...I/they have no idea as to why the owner took this cap off.......
The 'Gear Shift Interlock' is a solenoid which releases when the brake pedal is pressed allowing the shift lever to be moved.

If the solenoid fails, the screw in cap can be removed and a rod of similar diameter to the ignition key inserted through the hole to manually release the Interlock.

This is supposed to be for emergency use only but it sounds as if the solenoid has failed and the owner never bothered to replace it.

Graham