New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Member

Hello from Bournemouth!

I have an s-type sport, v6, 3.0, 2003 with 110k miles. Supposedly has full service! The car sounds absolutely lovely, drives like a dream, and gets more passer-by's attention than my previous car- a Boxster S 3.2 2002 only 40k miles that I foolishly sold a few months back.

Now, of recent, I noticed all the warning lights and messages to the effect that ABS, Coolant, etc., are at fault ( this was after a few weeks of hard driving by my son). On checking, it needed some 2.5 ltrs of fluid added to the radiator which then found its way out again through a crack on top of the radiator when hot and pressurised. So out came the radiator which looked quite odd with a semi circular bottom ( I suppose through years of high pressure and heat- it looked the original 12 year old one)) and in went a new flat bottom radiator. Filled the system, run and tested, during which time, the expansion tank hose flew out emptying the contents. Not being happy as this could have been the high pressure build up, out came the rad, thermostat and water pump and, as a curious attempt, the heater valves. All inspected; fitted new thermostat with 87 degrees opening, pump ok, so fitted with new gasket, replaced a few hoses and clips, dismantled, cleaned, assembled and tested heater valve. Put all back where they were in the first place. Filled and bled the system. Went for a drive. Needle in the middle, perhaps just a tiny bit passed the middle of the white line! You might think I am being too fussy now! But, if you know your car, you know how it should look, perform, smell and behave. So, not entirely happy. Performance is good. First in the trial, the exhaust belched out steam! Then it settled. I haven't notice any since. But, there is a gargle from the heater/ aircon metrix when first starts or switched off ( I mean the engine). Also, I have not seen the radiator fan come on at all- I read somewhere that it comes on at engine start and does its PWM bit depending on Engine temperature. This has been a bit of a puzzle! I really want to test it but I don't know how! Tried to search here but no luck!
Anyways, I am thinking of the head gasket now and need all the info I can get hold of with diagrams and how to, preferably from a good service/ repair manual that one can find in one of the dark rooms in this forum.

I would be grateful for any feedback, suggestion, advice, scorn, whatever. So, here is my introduction. I am very pleased to be a member of this forum and hope to make positive and productive contributions when I can

Old 05-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,410 Posts

Members in our S-type section will doubtless be able to help you with these problems.
In the meantime, Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
cellutron (05-29-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 05:17 PM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by cellutron
........ Now, of recent, I noticed all the warning lights and messages to the effect that ABS, Coolant, etc., are at fault ( this was after a few weeks of hard driving by my son). ............
Welcome to the forum Jtrieschmann,

That speaks volumes!

Follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the UK & Eire Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-eire-68/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
cellutron (05-29-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,150 Likes on 807 Posts

Welcome. It sounds like you are being quite thorough. Good luck getting it ironed out.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Hello Welcome,

I'm new to the group myself and can see there is plenty of Great advise and help...you will enjoy everything about this group...Cheers

Old 05-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Received 4,291 Likes on 3,709 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:59 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums cellutron,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help