New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member - 2005 XJ8L w/ 203,000 miles and counting

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Member - 2005 XJ8L w/ 203,000 miles and counting

Hello All,

I finally joined! I have been viewing and reading a ton on this forum in the last six months and finally decided that I want to be more active.

A little about myself and my cat;

I am a 20-year-old college student who attends Kettering University in Flint, Michigan. Kettering is 99% engineering based, and I am about half way done with my mechanical engineering degree. Kettering is constantly ranked in the top 5 engineering schools, so I am extremely grateful to be able to attend such an awesome school.

With that being said, Kettering is based on a “co-op” program so you go to school for three months, then go to into a co-op position for three months, and then back to school for three months, etc. etc. etc. This allows for you to use your schooling in real time and get real experience in a company. I am currently with FCA in Auburn Hills, working as a Design Release Engineer for the heavy duty trucks. I can’t tell you guys the secrets, but just believe me, we have some awesome stuff coming out!

For the information that must of you want to know;

I have a 2005 XJ8L (X350) that I purchased in October of 2017. The car was a one-owner, from a very “well-off” area in Chicago. This car has every maintenance record and the Carfax was unbelievable. The car had 195,000 miles when I purchased it and within 5 months, I have put over 8,000 miles on it (I like to drive it). Right now the car sits with 203,000 miles and runs great. It is a Jag….. and she has her quirks.

I have removed the air suspension and replaced it with the Suncore suspension conversion kit. Let me just say, the customer service is great. They have already sent me a return label for when I ship these back and buy something else (Seriously though, the right rear strut sounds like the Aflac duck when I drive. It took less than 3 months and the strut it failing. I am either going to throw my wallet at it and go the Arnott route, or try to fit some s-type suspension in.)

I also installed 2 exhaust cut-outs behind the cats……. OMFG. I know I am young and a lot of people may not be into the gut wrenching noise, but it is seriously unreal. I will post videos and photos soon enough. Well worth the $150 cost for two cutouts and the remote to close them is awesome. I would say legitimately no leaking when closed (that will probably worsen with time although) it goes from a stock XJ to American muscle with the click of a button.

I know this was a long winded introduction, but believe me, I am very excited to show you all what I have in store. I am young and love working on my car and I am sure that you all will be excited by some of my plans and maybe frightened by others. I like creating videos and photos as well, so most of my work will be documented out for everyone.

PS: Apollo-XJ8 is my name because I plan to take this baby to the moon: 225,623 miles to be exact (at perigee).

Please feel free to ask me anything, roast me, compliment me, or throw something heavy at me. Whatever floats ya’ boat!

That oil is not from my car......

Tint is as follows: Rear driver window, rear passenger window, and rear window are all 20% tint. The driver and passenger windows are both 50%. This is light enough where it is safe and the likely hood that you will get pulled over is low. It still looks luxurious, but adds a bit of Bond villian to the mix (especially paired with the cut-outs) The interior is really really clean for this many miles. The base model seats hold up a lot better through the years than the Vanden Plas seats. A lot of older cars have the same problem where the simple base seats hold up better than the softer leather.
Winter mats need to be cleaned.....

Slight scratches on the back seats
I really wish it had the navigation.

The following 2 users liked this post by Apollo-XJ8:
GGG (03-15-2018), Norri (03-16-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,867 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollo-XJ8
..... I also installed 2 exhaust cut-outs behind the cats ……. I really wish it had the navigation.
Welcome to the forum Apollo-XJ8,

Great Intro and good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

No problem with the exhaust cut-out - I can't hear it from here.

The navigation is a neat installation but I think you would be disappointed with the performance.

As you've already found your way to the X350 forum, there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-midwest-39/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Received 171 Likes on 160 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Enjoy the drive.

The following users liked this post:
Apollo-XJ8 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 674 Likes on 335 Posts

Welcome from Texas...

Old 03-15-2018, 02:41 PM
Received 4,005 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,440 Likes on 5,458 Posts

Nice Car! Of course I'm blatantly biased for Any BLACK Jag!
And that's one of the Nicest examples of burl wood I've seen!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 03-16-2018, 03:51 AM
Received 10,562 Likes on 6,975 Posts

Welcome.

Well done.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:42 AM
Received 6,339 Likes on 5,524 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Apollo-XJ8,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-16-2018, 06:48 AM
Received 4,326 Likes on 3,736 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!