New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member

Hi Everyone! This is my first Thread in the Jaguar Forums, so please bear with me. Ever since I can remember, I had always wanted a sports car. I was never a fan of the Corvettes, the way all my friends were, but then I saw the XKE when I was in high school and it was love at first sight. Just the look, the sophisticated style and the Jaguar name made a huge impression on me. Fast forward through college, corporate work and then starting my own company and I saw the Jaguar XK8 convertible, and owning one became one of my goals. I even put a picture of an XK8 on my office wall. In the year 2000, a 1998 Jaguar XK8 Carnival Red convertible with 8000 miles was offered to me and I jumped on it. It had been a dealer demo and it was in superb shape.

This was my baby and over the years, I took very good care of it with all the requisite oil changes, regular maintenance and recommended work from the dealership. This was my fun car for the weekends and over the past 21 years, it has been a pleasure to drive.

During the pandemic and with much free time on my hands, I completed many home projects and then three months ago, I turned to my Jag. I thoroughly cleaned the interior after taking out the seats. I washed the carpets; cleaned and reconditioned the seats and anywhere there was leather. I added Adamesh chrome rings to the gauges, chrome covers on the rearview mirrors, new footplates on the door sills, and various other cosmetic enhancements. I had a new convertible top put on, and spent several hours cleaning the engine bay and trunk. Then I took it to a new Jaguar repair place to have a Multipoint inspection and once I got the estimate, I practically had a heart attack after seeing what it was going to cost me! I had no idea I was sitting on a time bomb!

Nobody, in the past, had told me about the tensioners, timing chains and guides; the degrading front and rear suspension; the potential for a "green shower"; impending demise of my fuel pump, transmission, heater hoses and on and on. Maybe I was living in a dream world but I was never told about these things! Just change the oil, use premium gas, and put on quality tires when needed as I had done with my other vehicles. I guess I was too involved with all of my other responsibilities. At 120K miles, the mechanic told me I was very lucky for these above problems not to have occurred, but they required my immediate attention.

I have been pouring over the internet, especially the Youtube videos from "To The Garage" and "O & DR Modural". I made numerous phone calls to vendors, dealers, mechanics, etc. I learned about the Jaguar Forums and have been furiously reading the relevant threads on the XK8. In the past eight weeks, my XK8 has new tensioners, timing chains and guides; a rebuilt transmission; new front and rear suspension systems; new hoses, gaskets and thermostat. It has been expensive, but my car is worth it. I also know that this is just the beginning. I'm wondering how many other XK8's are out there with owners like myself, who are clueless about all these potential problems until their engine explodes or they have green hydraulic fluid spilling out or a host of other things.

I must say that Jaguar Forums is fantastic and I'm looking forward to being an active member of this Jaguar "club". I have learned so much from the members and I welcome any and all input. I live just outside of Washington, DC in Maryland and would appreciate any advice from members in this area as to the best Jaguar repair shops. I will continue to soak up as much information as possible and apply it to my car. This is going to be fun, expensive but fun.

Bob Hatfield
1998 Jaguar XK8 convertible
North Bethesda, Maryland

The following users liked this post:
GGG (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Bob,

Thank you for the excellent Intro. After that extensive overhaul you should be able to look forward to the next twenty one years.

It sounds like you've already found your way to the XK8/XKR forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Mid Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-mid-atlantic-65/ to find other members in your region.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-22-2021, 09:34 PM
Received 3,974 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Welcome aboard Bob.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:57 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:15 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Bob,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 07-23-2021, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,382 Likes on 5,440 Posts

Hello, Bob,
I decided some time ago that my Next Jaguar would be an Xk8 convertible. I would prefer BLACK but RED would do if I found one.
I agree with Graham; After all those successful repairs (congratulations on those, by the way) you shouldn't have to worry for another 20 years.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 07-23-2021, 08:39 AM
Received 10,536 Likes on 6,958 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:05 PM
Received 4,312 Likes on 3,727 Posts

welcome to the forum- enjoy!!!