New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hi guys, just writing on here to introduce myself as I am a new member. I currently live in the U.K., however for a large period of time I lived in the Middle East which is where I had my first ever drive of a Jaguar. After having a 5 series BMW my dad purchased a 2.5 liter x type and since the moment I drove it, I knew that it was a special car, right from the way it drove to the exhaust note which gave me goosebumps.

After driving the X type around for a number of days, I fell in love and ever since then I have become an enthusiast of Jaguar and its cars which led me to supporting the now non existent Jaguar F1 team in which I managed to meet Christian Klein and Mark Webber when they drove for Jaguar in the Bahrain GP.

Till today I still follow the company as a young enthusiast and since I am a student and a partial owner of a Jaguar (what is my dads, is also mine ), I have decided to write my final year masters dissertation on Jaguar, its culture and heritage and how the brand defies British values through its cars and history. I hope that through this site I can get to know some of the members and we together can have a mutually beneficial experience as I will find it very helpful to discover some of your opinions on the topic I am researching and I am sure you will enjoy reading the end product once completed.

Many thanks all for reading, will keep in touch!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. That should be an interesting dissertation!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the response msnyder 52, need to try and get as many people on board in so that I can see the different ways in which jaguar owners feel their cars are simply the symbol of British culture !

Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Welcome to the forums marioglyky! You may want to contact fellow (veteran) member vance580 as he to is doing research on the Jaguar Brand for a university class as well, maybe you two can collaborate.

Good Luck

Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 AM

Hye thanks joycesjag, sounds like a good idea, I will get in touch with him soon! Your help would also be appreciated though because the more I can get the easier it will be for me to withdraw meaning from your thoughts on Jaguar and its position as a British symbol.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard JF
I'm sure you'll get answers aplenty here...

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Thank you very much, that is a big help! Will keep in touch!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

One other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Also, should you have questions related to your vehicle please post it in the section for your model year (MY) car. This way you will reach all the members that are familiar with your MY car.

The following users liked this post:
marioglyky (07-14-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM

Hi I have updated my profile so all of you can get to know a little bit more about me!

Within the next week once I get all my information together, I would love to speak to some of you to get your ideas and thoughts on Jaguar as a British symbol and over the next month or so build relationships with you guys and maybe you can convince me into buying a Jag =p

Last edited by marioglyky; 07-15-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Sounds like an interesting project, I hope we can help you on your way.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Smile

Hi Norri, many thanks for your reply!

Still need some time to get my things together, I guess as a starter to give everyone a flavour of my research I would like to find out the kinds of topics that are spoken about around the website with regards to how Jaguar has developed into being a 'British' brand - obviously there is the e type which is a huge British symbol of the 60's, during the second world war, the Jaguar brand was involved in the British war effort and so on.. things like that but then also things like the life of the brand under British Leyland and then Ford. So overall, I am looking at the life of the brand and how through the years as a brand it has shown itself as a British symbol - a reflection of British culture and then look at how the acquisitions by Ford and recently Tata, may have tarnished the image of the 'British' Jaguar or may have actually helped the brand excel and maintain this image.

So that is just a quick idea of the kinds of things I want to look at, they will completely be open ended questions and discussions (these will all be done online so either within the forums or on Skype, msn, facebook...) so I can get the most out of what people think (this is called netnographic research - then through this I will follow what is known as a hermeneutical approach were through everyone’s replies, I will withdraw a common meaning and then create groupings of these meanings to paint a bigger picture).

So yes that is it, thanks again to everyone for welcoming me and having me here!