New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011 | 04:57 PM
|
Default New member

I'm a new member living in Davenport, Iowa. I have 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas. Since I stared using the car as my every-day car about a year ago, it's been very reliable. I recently switched over to using the synthetic oil which was recommended by the authorized Jaguar service shop I take it to. Pretty expensive stuff but I can go 10k miles on an oil change and they said it would be really good for the engine.

One thing I need to fix and would welcome suggestions on: the roof upholsetry is sagging badly in back. The car is black and I suspect that years of midwest summers and the heat have melted the glue. The shop recommends an automotive upholstery guy who would take all that apart - very expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011 | 05:08 PM
Default headliner problem

Welcome to the forum. I had the exact same problem with the headliner in my '04 X-Type. You think the summers in Iowa are tough, try living down here in Texas !! 90 days of 100 + degree blow torch heat this summer. Brutal. If you want your headliner done right, unfortunately, you will have to bite the bullett and replace it. Like you, I first inquired if I could just re-glue what was hanging down. Just doesn't work. The only solution is to re-do the upholstery and the board/cushion - it is all one integrated part - that's the only way to do it right, and have it look really nice again. Sorry to dissapoint, but with nice car such as yours, you really need to bite the bullet and have it replaced with a new one. That's what I did with mine, replaced it all, and it looks really nice again. Best of luck!

Old 09-12-2011 | 05:42 PM

Welcome, Elwood! Good luck with the headliner.

Old 09-12-2011 | 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Elwood and welcome aboard, great to have you here with us at JF.
Nice intro thanks for sharing, pics next would be good when you can!

As for the sagging headliner? It seems well documented and there's more than a ferw write ups here on the site about it, some with pics, prices and recommendations etc......Please do a search and good luck.

If you have trouble finding them holler and we'll be glad to help out

Some great guys here, top techs, good info and more than a few laughs here n there, so jump in and enjoy......

manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site.......enjoy your time here

Old 09-13-2011 | 06:00 AM

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you here.

Old 09-13-2011 | 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome Elwood to the site. Sounds like longhofn has given you sound advise, although maybe not what you were hoping to see. Fix right the first time.

Old 09-13-2011 | 09:52 PM

Great to have you with us!...I haven't been to Davenport for many many many years, but do believe I still have Relatives in Riverton.

Old 09-15-2011 | 07:36 PM
|
Default Newbie says thanks!

Hi All - thanks for the warm welcome, great to be in this forum! I will take your advice and go the proper route and get it done right...it's a great car and has a lot of miles to go.

Looking forward to what I can learn on this forum! I have loved Jaguars since I was a kid and since I've had one for about 5 years it's been really fun. I drive through the bank, or Panera's or to the grocery store....I get comments all the time.

Thanks again...

JK