New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New Member

Hi,
I have a 2004 X-Type 3.0 Sport model which has approximately 64,000 miles.
It has given me no trouble until recently. My CEL came on and I got some typical P codes- 171,174,300, 302, 304, 306, and a 1111. I noticed the CEL went out and I notice a DSC Fault Message which might be related to the original battery. I need to measure the voltage. Cold: 12.38 volts (38 degrees outside). Engine on & running: 15.16 volts with the headlights on. I had the door open & didn't see a DSC fault message.

Car runs fine. I first drove an X-Type in 2003 in Germany and got it up to 123 mph on the Autobahn and was able to take turns on the Alps turnbacks at twice the posted speed. What a car!

I had reserved a Volkswagen Golf from Hertz and they didn't have it. So they gave me a 2003 Jaguar 2.5 X-Type. The only difference is the lack of a leaper on the hood. I happened to hit my leaper a week ago & it broke off! The cable had rusted. I simply went to Home Deport and got a piece of cable & a crimp. Leaper will never fall off as I used a larger diameter cable.

I've had two issues at the end of the extended warranty a year ago. I lost the voice on the navigation system- they replaced it. They also replaced the DSC unit under warranty. I've tried to stay out of the snow/ice conditions.

It's a good car & I wonder if there are things I can do to save some money. In 40 years, I've never taken my car to a dealer- unless under warranty. I had a 1984 Volvo wagon for 24 years and it was a super car too. I did all my own maintenance. I had a 1994 Honda Civic with almost 300,000 miles and I gave it to my daughter's boyfriend. It still runs fine.

I'm a retired radar engineer, so electro-mechanical things don't intimidate me. I just wish I could find manuals like the old Robert Bentley repair books for Volvo's & VWs. I don't care for troubleshooting on a monitor. I'm used to using paper manuals and writing notes. I could print out the JTIS pages, but I'm lazy. <smile>

Tony

Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tony,

Good to have you with us.
For help and advice head on over to the tech section https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-14/ don't forget the regional section also https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/north-east-us-me-nh-vt-ma-ri-ct-nj-ny-pa-35/
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to this friendly Forum and thanks for the interesting intro.
I thought you must do something radar-related when I saw your login.
Enjoy your car and membership.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tony,

Great Intro.

Follow Norri's link to the X-Type section for help and advice with the DTC's.

Don't think you'll ever see paper Workshop Manuals again so time to crank up the printer!

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
JPC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome

Originally Posted by Backhertz
Hi,
I have a 2004 X-Type 3.0 Sport model which has approximately 64,000 miles.
It has given me no trouble until recently. My CEL came on and I got some typical P codes- 171,174,300, 302, 304, 306, and a 1111. I noticed the CEL went out and I notice a DSC Fault Message which might be related to the original battery. I need to measure the voltage. Cold: 12.38 volts (38 degrees outside). Engine on & running: 15.16 volts with the headlights on. I had the door open & didn't see a DSC fault message.

Car runs fine. I first drove an X-Type in 2003 in Germany and got it up to 123 mph on the Autobahn and was able to take turns on the Alps turnbacks at twice the posted speed. What a car!

I had reserved a Volkswagen Golf from Hertz and they didn't have it. So they gave me a 2003 Jaguar 2.5 X-Type. The only difference is the lack of a leaper on the hood. I happened to hit my leaper a week ago & it broke off! The cable had rusted. I simply went to Home Deport and got a piece of cable & a crimp. Leaper will never fall off as I used a larger diameter cable.

I've had two issues at the end of the extended warranty a year ago. I lost the voice on the navigation system- they replaced it. They also replaced the DSC unit under warranty. I've tried to stay out of the snow/ice conditions.

It's a good car & I wonder if there are things I can do to save some money. In 40 years, I've never taken my car to a dealer- unless under warranty. I had a 1984 Volvo wagon for 24 years and it was a super car too. I did all my own maintenance. I had a 1994 Honda Civic with almost 300,000 miles and I gave it to my daughter's boyfriend. It still runs fine.

I'm a retired radar engineer, so electro-mechanical things don't intimidate me. I just wish I could find manuals like the old Robert Bentley repair books for Volvo's & VWs. I don't care for troubleshooting on a monitor. I'm used to using paper manuals and writing notes. I could print out the JTIS pages, but I'm lazy. <smile>

Tony
Welcome. I am a new member a well. Be sure to get your 10 post in within 3 days of signing up so your account is not deleted.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard ....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................