New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member- 97 XK8 project car, no start, shattered glass, flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member- 97 XK8 project car, no start, shattered glass, flat tires

THE SAGA SO FAR:
I was given a 97 XK8 black coupe as a “project car”. It would not start, had a shattered back glass, torn front bumper cover, and four flat tires. The previous owner said it would not turn over, had not run for over 4 years, and needed a new starter. BUT, there was no obvious rust and the paint looked good. The interior had some minor wear issues and, of course, it still had that beautiful XK8 style.

After checking my bank account and swallowing hard, I started my project. I watched many YouTube videos and received excellent advice from the XK8 gurus at JaguarForum.com, After replacing the starter relay, the engine cranked. I added a dollop of oil to each cylinder, changed the plugs, checked the coils, swapped in a new fuel pump, checked fluid levels, and replaced the cracked coolant reservoir. By golly, it started after 4 cranks. With four new tires, the road test was better than I could have expected- throaty exhaust note, smooth transmission. It might need shocks. Jaguar Heaven in Stockton, California, sent me a replacement back glass for a very reasonable price.

My next task is to fix the driver window which is stuck in the down most position. I will describe symptoms and ask questions in another post.

I am a happy XK8 newby. I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

DrDan
97 XK8 coupe 4.0 black on black

Old 05-20-2023, 01:18 AM
Received 10,582 Likes on 6,990 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Amazing what a small amount of TLC will achieve.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,462 Likes on 5,466 Posts

Hello, Dr. Dan,
Congratulations on your new Gifted Jaguar Xk8! (I decided some time ago that one of these, in BLACK of course, would be my Next Jaguar.)
And, Congratulations on all your hard, and successful work! All that is nothing to sneeze at really. Many Jags have ended up at a "Jaguar Heaven" of some sort with less fault than this one had. Good Job!

As Grant above mentions, All they need is a little care and attention once in a while.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 05-20-2023, 03:16 PM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums DrDan,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 05-20-2023, 03:22 PM
Received 4,331 Likes on 3,741 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 05-20-2023, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advanced search in forums

I am new to JaguarForums. Is there any way to do more advanced searches? Can we link multiple terms with AND function, such as “door AND micro AND switch”? What about OR? NOT?

Thanks,
DrDan
97 XK8 Coupe 4.0L Black on Black
Pacific Northwest USA

Old 05-20-2023, 07:11 PM
Received 4,050 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Welcome aboard Dr Dan.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDan
..... Is there any way to do more advanced searches? Can we link multiple terms with AND function, such as “door AND micro AND switch”? What about OR? NOT? ......
Welcome to the forums DrDan,

All Jaguars are a project - you got a head start knowing what needed doing on yours.

Although I know my way around the forum, I generally use Google with search starting jaguarforums ....... for in depth searches.

I can see you've already found your way to the XK8/XKR forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Northwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northwest-64/ to find other members in your region.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham