New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member, but Not yet owner!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017 | 12:50 PM
|
Default New member, but Not yet owner!

Hey guys. Im looking at picking up a 2004 XJR this weekend and have been doing tons of research these past two weeks.
Its got 170K mi and probably hasnt been serviced as regularly as Id like, but I believe its got good bones!

Test drive went well, just a little lurch on shifts, bushing play seems minimal, air suspension seems intact, brakes need replacing.
Planning to: do all fluids/general maintenance and give it the love it deserves.
Ive just started to do my own work on cars (2016 VW Tiguan - DD, 2009 Accord Coupe - GF's) and am excited to get my hands dirty.

Hopefully all my research will pay off as Im taking a gamble buying at $3K US.
But if it all pans out, itll be great bang for the buck! Looking forward to reading some more.
Cheers!

Old 09-29-2017 | 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your new Jaguar when you get to bring it home!
Working on your own car is Very satisfying and makes you familiar with all its idiodsyncrasies.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 09-29-2017 | 02:46 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum tmt96111,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

It sounds like you may already have found the relevant model forum but if not, follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-x350-x358-28/ to the X350 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Western Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-western-38/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 09-29-2017 | 05:57 PM

Welcome aboard.

Old 09-29-2017 | 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

tmt96111,
Welcome aboard. I have something that may be of interest to you. Tonight through tomorrow night I will be tied up with the High Holidays, but Sunday we can talk. I have a 2002 XJ Sport that my son has been driving for the last few years. We bought him a new Ford Fusion this past weekend, and it's time to part with it after many years. It runs and drives, and while the paint isn't particularly shiny, the body is in very, very good condition. I would probably virtually give it away or I will probably donate it to a charity. It would be an easy project car if restoration was the goal. If interested, send me a private message, and I'll get back to you either tomorrow night or Sunday.

Obviously, since the car is here in Los Angeles, if you wanted to take a look, you're welcome to do so.

Old 09-30-2017 | 02:51 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-30-2017 | 03:36 AM

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 09-30-2017 | 05:55 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums tmt96111,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 09-30-2017 | 05:55 AM

welcome to the forum!!

Old 10-02-2017 | 02:48 PM
|

Originally Posted by tberg
tmt96111,
Welcome aboard. I have something that may be of interest to you. Tonight through tomorrow night I will be tied up with the High Holidays, but Sunday we can talk. I have a 2002 XJ Sport that my son has been driving for the last few years. We bought him a new Ford Fusion this past weekend, and it's time to part with it after many years. It runs and drives, and while the paint isn't particularly shiny, the body is in very, very good condition. I would probably virtually give it away or I will probably donate it to a charity. It would be an easy project car if restoration was the goal. If interested, send me a private message, and I'll get back to you either tomorrow night or Sunday.

Obviously, since the car is here in Los Angeles, if you wanted to take a look, you're welcome to do so.
thanks for the offer, but im looking at XJRs exclusively!

Update: CEL was on so smog was an automatic fail (CA rules). Didnt have my scanner with me this weekend, but believe it to be related to something electronic being unhappy since the battery was drained overnight during the week. Previous ODB2 checks had nothing flagged (minus P1111). Plan is to let current owner drive it for the week and hopefully CEL clears by itself or Ill clear it manually and try smog again.

Old 10-02-2017 | 03:17 PM
wwr
Thumbs up '04 XJR - welcome to the forum

Call it a coincidence but I recently purchased and shipped an '04 XJR from Arizona to Texas.
I hope you have as much fun driving and caring for it as I have.
They really are 'wolves in sheep's clothing' in addition to awful nice rides!!

Old 10-10-2017 | 10:40 AM
|

just an update if anyone was interested: purchased the car at 3500 USD. right before i bought it, owner had valley hose replaced (said i test drove it too hard probably!) so slight bullet dodged there. on the drive back, transmission fault message but i think it might be fixable. will be doing drain/fill on trans and fitting new spark plugs. fingers crossed ... ill be seeing everyone a little more on the proper sub!